• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please help recommend a trumpet for my moderate lvl daughter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Please help recommend a trumpet for my moderate lvl daughter Reply with quote

Hello, I’ve scoured this forum and I’m now I’m a bit baffled.

My daughter has a King trumpet, that was bought by my dad around 1980(ish). Both my brothers, myself and my oldest daughter played it briefly. Never past middle school. However, my youngest daughter started with it, but it has its issues. We’ve had work done on it, but apparently there’s issues with it that make it a challenge to play and repair. My youngest daughter has been playing for 5 years (flugelhorn as well). She’s taken this much farther than anyone us ever did. She’s currently in 10th grade and second chair in a band that just won Nationals. In which she has a solo in their performance. She’s been using a school rental and I think she’s earned a moderately decent trumpet at this point. Needless to say, I was shocked at trumpet prices. I figured a $1000 budget (new) wasn’t terrible. About the only one I found in that range with decent valves and silver plated was the Allora ATR450 Vienna ($1050). I also found a Levante LV-TR6301 ($520). It seems after that, it jumps to $1700-3000. I’ve read the reviews on the Allora and well, I’m a bit deterred. One issue is that it has to be silver plated. I keep coming back to the Yamaha YTR-2330 but it’s nearly $1800.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, wouldn't buy any of the new horns you mentioned. I suppose the selling point of these horns is that they are new and shiny but I think the glow will vanish soon. The answer for me would be that I would rather have a better horn, used, than a mediocre horn, new.

You might be able to get a mice silver Getzen Eterna Severinson model for about $1,000.00.I played one in college and professionally in wind ensemble, big band and soul/pop band. Good all-around horn.

p.s. there are Severinsens out there for low prices. They are risky. I would do my best to keep it around your budget of $1,ooo.oo.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Please help recommend a trumpet for my moderate lvl daug Reply with quote

JoelTaylor83 wrote:
I keep coming back to the Yamaha YTR-2330 but it’s nearly $1800.

I'm absolutely baffled why this particular trumpet so expensive in the USA. In Europe it's much more affordable (it's only $469 at Thomann for example).

Maybe it's worth seeing if you can import one? Even with shipping I doubt it would exceed your $1000 budget.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I, personally, wouldn't buy any of the new horns you mentioned. I suppose the selling point of these horns is that they are new and shiny but I think the glow will vanish soon. The answer for me would be that I would rather have a better horn, used, than a mediocre horn, new.

You might be able to get a mice silver Getzen Eterna Severinson model for about $1,000.00.I played one in college and professionally in wind ensemble, big band and soul/pop band. Good all-around horn.

p.s. there are Severinsens out there for low prices. They are risky. I would do my best to keep it around your budget of $1,ooo.oo.

Used is very iffy to me. We live in a more rural setting, so there aren’t many to any decent used trumpets listed on FB market place or Craigslist within driving distance. I’m not willing to buy something used and have it shipped unless it were to be from an extremely reputable dealer and to be honest, as a novice, I don’t know any of those. I’m a little surprised that you wouldn’t recommend the Yamaha YTR-2330. I’ve seen that recommended quite a few times on this page for beginners-intermediates looking for a quality “step up” trumpet from the $200-400 band rental trumpets.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with instrument stores in your state, and big stores for demo models up for sale. A topline used trumpet will be better than a step-up model. I sue two great ones that were demos. Getzen Capris are not the company's top line, but were really good. Maybe you can find one.
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I’m willing to spend some money. It seems my original budget of $1000 for a new trumpet just isn’t realistic for what she deserves and has earned. I mean, honestly, this young lady has gotten nothing but straight A’s in top tier level classes. She has always received the utmost praise from her band instructors. She practices her butt off. Either her or her band instructors have challenged her to step out of her comfort zone to play college level material material since as early as 8th grade and time and time again she has risen to the challenge. I did look, her King is a 600. It’s pretty well beaten and banged up from all of us not taking care of it before her. Apparently the valves are in horrible shape and the slide is near seized.

What are your thoughts:

Getzen 900S Eterna Classic $2550 **what I’m leaning towards**

Bach TR411S Intermediate $2200

Bach TR201 Student $1850

Bach 180 Stradivarius DEMO that does show signs of wear and no original case. $2500

King 2055 $2175

Blessing BTR1460S Performance Series $1600

Jupiter JTR1110RS Intermediate $1835
CaptPat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo the advice to purchase used instead of new. In my area YTR2330 are ~$5OO used ($1260 new), so for $1000, you can get a very nice horn on the used market. REVERB is another place to check out, there are quite a few reputable sellers with lots of pictures. There are several threads on this forum about do's and don'ts when purchasing over the Internet.

Besides REVERB, check out FB Marketplace, FB Trumpet groups, Craigslist, and the TH Marketplace. Good luck.
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptPat wrote:
I'd echo the advice to purchase used instead of new. In my area YTR2330 are ~$5OO used ($1260 new), so for $1000, you can get a very nice horn on the used market. REVERB is another place to check out, there are quite a few reputable sellers with lots of pictures. There are several threads on this forum about do's and don'ts when purchasing over the Internet.

Besides REVERB, check out FB Marketplace, FB Trumpet groups, Craigslist, and the TH Marketplace. Good luck.

FB Market place was a dud, so was Craigslist. I have been checking out reverb. They do currently have a Getzen Eterna 900 Severinsen (“serial SK0XX circa 1964-1967). It’s listed as excellent shape, appears to look practically new. The description says it’s been restored and freshly plated, a resolder was made on the receiver. Comes with a Bach 3C & 5C mouthpiece, two mutes and the case is a Getzen and looks to be in very good shape as well. For $1600
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve spoken with both of her band instructors. They believe she is deserving of a higher end trumpet as well. They both recommend the Bach 18037 Stradivarius, but also said the Getzen 900S Eterna classic was very nice as well. For reference, both of these instructors are primarily trumpet players. Another reference for my daughter, one of the instructors does a “high level” private concert performance, made up of close family & friend musicians and my daughter is the only student he has ever invited to to a concert with them.

Anyway, I’ve called around locally and there is a place about an hour away that has a few intermediate and pro level trumpets in stock. They have a used (like new) silver Bach 18037 Stradivarius Anniversary Edition in stock that they are willing to sell for $2400. Even though this is suppose to be a Christmas present, I feel it would be beneficial to have her try a few out to make sure likes them, before paying so much for an instrument. I believe we will head up there this afternoon.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the Getzen 900S Eterna Classic is almost the same as the Severinsen I mentioned above.

Random thought - you're going to get a new Bach Strad for $1,000.00?

There are stores which sell through the Internet which back up their products and not only have reasonable return policies, but offer professional advice, like Austin Custom Brass of Dillons.

I might be misinterpreting your words, but you seem to be asking for self-cancelling suggestions. You keep returning to your wish to really reward her with a great professional horn, yet you want to limit it to $1,000.00 and new. Maybe someone sees what I don't, but I see these as conflicting goals.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you let her play the horns you are looking at if you can and see which she likes. They are nice horns, but they are different. Just because they are nice horns does not mean they are a match for her. She has to transition from the horn she is playing. If you can give her a chance to try out the horns, it would be best.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out instruments can be very fun. I suggest you look into a trip to the store to let her try out what they have. Even if it is just window shopping at the time.

I personally wouldn’t consider an “intermediate” trumpet. Many times they are not made by the same craftsmen that build the “pro” lines. Often they are made by the same workers that make the bottom end instruments. Sometimes the brand will go over the instruments to ensure the quality so they can compete in the low price market without selling junk.

Personally I would start with a reputable seller. Trent at Austin Custom Brass, Michael at Thompson Music, Dillards, and others. I personally have dealt with Mike Thompson but only know of the others from this site.

Any of these dealers can take your input and guide you to an appropriate instrument.

One last piece of advice, look for a used pro level horn in pristine condition. It will look and play like new but not have the showroom new premium price. A Bach 180s37 used sells for around $1500 and would serve well for many years, even into college.

Someone like Trent or Michael can play the instrument and have their tech ensure all is good taking some of the risk out of your decision.

Bachs are often recommended by band instructors. It is typically a safe recommendation. But other brands are just as good or better.
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so a lot happened in a short period. I found out that her band “rental” trumpet is actually a Yamaha 4335, which isn’t your typical beginner $259-550 trumpet.

We ended up driving around all afternoon-evening (she had a half day at school), going to a few music stores. I had her bring her band trumpet so she could warm up a bit at each and try multiple trumpets. She ended up trying some Jupiter’s, Shire Q’s Getzen 490 & 700 (no 900), Blessing’s, Yamaha’s, Jean Paul’s and a Bach student version. She actually liked one of the Blessing’s & Jupiter’s best, but she said that she thinks she likes them best because the feel and play the most like her Yamaha 4335. Of course, then she tried a used-like new Bach 19037 Stradavarius “37 50th Anniversary Edition”. The case looked brand new as well. She said the valves are a little different, but she liked playing it as much as the Jupiter & Blessing. However, her & myself could immediately hear the sound difference. She went back and forth between the Blessing and the Bach Stad. I’m the end, she picked the Bach Strad (came with a Bach 3C). I paid $2400 cash for it, but negotiated some oil, cloth and a Bach 5C mouthpiece into the deal. Based on what it cost new, I’d think I did well, hopefully anyway.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. The Yamaha 4335 is a nice horn, considered intermediate and skipped by many but it plays very well and sounds good. I played one for a long time. The Bach is obviously a solid choice. To me it is quite interesting that she chose it, but that shows why you have to test the horns. That is a horn she could keep forever. She might develop to want something else, but she also might not. Good job Dad.
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I’m glad I’ve been afforded the ability to do these types of things for my kids.

I was a little surprised as well. I honestly thought she was going to end up picking the blessing, as much as she kept going back to playing it before she tried the Bach. I walked away as to not influence her. However, the tone difference between the Blessing and Bach were even that much more noticeable from 30ft away. I left it completely up to her. When I can back up to her, she said “can you hear that difference!”. I still think she liked the speed of the Blessing valves best. After we got it, she said this one will be for home, concerts and jazz band, but the Yamaha 4335 will be for marching band. I agreed that would be best.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelTaylor83 wrote:
After we got it, she said this one will be for home, concerts and jazz band, but the Yamaha 4335 will be for marching band. I agreed that would be best.

Obviously your daughter has good sense. Marching band is a great place to damage a horn. That is why I keep a Yamaha 6335 -- not for marching band, way to old for that, but for outside work, parades and anything "dangerous to the horn."
You get another pat on the shoulder for raising such a sensible child. She certainly deserves the nice Bach trumpet.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was blessed to have the money to purchase a new trumpet for my son in a similar situation. We kept the new one at home except for concerts. IMO, there’s just too much horseplay and carelessness in school to risk the new horn.

Congratulations. I bet your daughter is walking on cloud nine.
JoelTaylor83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I was blessed to have the money to purchase a new trumpet for my son in a similar situation. We kept the new one at home except for concerts. IMO, there’s just too much horseplay and carelessness in school to risk the new horn.

I agree, that was one of the first things she said.

I texted her to bring her (school) trumpet home from school. Then when she walked in the door I said “so I hear you want a new trumpet”, he eyes lite up. She knows me. Her mom, my wife, is the more frugal one. I’m sure that’s why my wife mentioned it to me. She knew I’d do as much research as I could and then wouldn’t have an issue dropping some coin on something that was worth it. I race cars, so dropping money in relatively large chunks isn’t new to me. Anyway, dad & daughter had a nice afternoon together, got her what she wanted and what she had earned. Then got dinner together. Memories we’ll both have forever.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Dad, the Bach 190 is far and away the best trumpet mentioned in the thread.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelTaylor83 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I agree, that was one of the first things she said.

I texted her to bring her (school) trumpet home from school. Then when she walked in the door I said “so I hear you want a new trumpet”, he eyes lite up. She knows me. Her mom, my wife, is the more frugal one. I’m sure that’s why my wife mentioned it to me. She knew I’d do as much research as I could and then wouldn’t have an issue dropping some coin on something that was worth it. I race cars, so dropping money in relatively large chunks isn’t new to me. Anyway, dad & daughter had a nice afternoon together, got her what she wanted and what she had earned. Then got dinner together. Memories we’ll both have forever.

❤️
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: