• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Extending range past D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacationInTunisia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Extending range past D Reply with quote

I am an aspiring lead player who has been stuck on high D for the past two years or so, although I have not really tried to extend my range in that time. In the past week or so, i have been able to play quiet E's, F's and even a few double G's, by sluring up from middle C. It is very difficult for me to start on these notes, though i have been able to pull of the Birdland intro once. I suspect my embouchure might be getting in the way due to how i can only get up there when i start lower. Any advice to start hitting these notes without having to slur from the lower register?

Last edited by vacationInTunisia on Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X range by Y time has always seemed like a bad way to approach range development to me.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing what you're doing it's pretty hard for anyone to give you a plausible diagnosis. Range is usually inhibited by one or more of the following: tension in the throat, wrong tongue level, lack of air support (not necessarily air volume), too wide of an aperture, excessive mouthpiece pressure, too much or not enough tension in the embouchure, etc. etc. etc.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are very good teachers who do video lessons and could possibly diagnose your problem. I'm not one of them, but I've experienced all of the above issues in my quest for better range. It's all about finding balance, but someone in the know definitely needs to see and hear you before successfully addressing the issue.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting a thin E, F, G it at least demonstrates you *are* capable of producing the pitch - you've got part of the recipe, you need to find out how to open/fill them up, make them musically useful.

The change you'll need to make is likely a subtle but important one. If you truly can play a solid, fat D that you can pick off, play an octave scale up to a big D then go up chromatically to an Eb - you'll need to push a little more air, a slightly different position of the tongue, slightly different tension of the lips, a hair more pressure. Try to be conscious of everything that's going on. When you can get a solid Eb consistently doing it that way whether it takes two minutes or two months then play the Eb scale and go for the E. And so on.

Also work on picking notes off cleanly progressively higher and higher. For example pick off a top of staff G and hold it. Then try playing a descending scale starting on the G. Then start off with a series of single-tongued Gs then the descending scale.

Then go to Ab, etc. as high as you can. When you can reliably and consistently do all this cleanly and solidly with a given note you're well on the path to owning that note.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to put this into any particular pedological context, and YMMV, but it was very helpful when I stopped clamping down with my embouchure muscles with strength, and used the muscles to support ~around~ a supple embouchure opening.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was very helpful when I stopped clamping down with my embouchure muscles with strength, and used the muscles to support ~around~ a supple embouchure opening

One question Kehaulani, did playing the saxophone help you to apply this concept?

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: