• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Horizons band timeline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainstay73

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: New Horizons band timeline Reply with quote

I am a retired individual wishing to study trumpet with the end goal of joining the local New Horizons community band. Approx. how long of diligent practice with a teacher would it take to have the necessary skills?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the quality of the band and how comfortable you would be in it. I've heard a fairly proficient New Horizon band and a very basic band. I would suggest you give the prospective band a listen and then evaluate how you would fit in with it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't hurt to go to a local rehearsal, get there early, talk to the conductor, maybe some of the trumpet/cornet section players, and then see how you might fit in now, or maybe need to work up a bit more first.

A key part of the New Horizons program, as I understand it, is to be welcoming to people just like you. They might, just as an example, let you rehearse on perhaps the 3rd part to start off with them, even if you aren't quite up to 'performance ready' yet.

Good luck to you in your endeavor, and welcome to the insane train known as playing Trumpet.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the New Horizons program in your area. Some programs have bands for different levels of players: Those new to an instrument or returning after a long layoff, those with basic proficiency, those at the intermediate level or higher, etc.

If the program near you has a band specifically for beginners, then you could be ready after a couple of months of lessons and practice.

If the program near you does not, then it will likely take longer. I'd say at least six months if you already know how to read music, and perhaps 9-12 months if you do not. Again, it depends on the program. Check with the music director to get a feel for the level of the group.

God luck, and welcome to trumpet playing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: