• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Left-handed playing after right hand injury: can it be done?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GabrielFrank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Left-handed playing after right hand injury: can it be done? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is my first post… I have an injury that means my right index finger is numb and weaker than before (looks like it's probably permanent). I can play with my left hand and have been practicing with it for a while, but I wondered if anyone has had experience with having to switch entirely to left-handed playing? Is it possible to get up to the same level of fluency? How long might it take with daily practice? I'm guessing years… or maybe never quite… I mean, I can play pretty well with the left but it lacks the "edge" you need for fluent improvising, precise rhythm, etc... I've seen some posts about left-handed playing but I really would like to hear stories from people who have had right hand injuries and know what it's like…

Also, any specific tips for improving the left hand's fluency (beyond normal practice) would be much appreciated.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, what do French Horn players do?

You just have to work at it. After playing trumpet, I switched to French Horn for my Freshman year in college. Back to trumpet and then back again to French Horn, again, for a couple of years in a service band. Just takes work.

The only significant difference I can see is the use of the valve slides for intonation. It might be a little tricky and you may need valve-slide triggers or find a horn that allows you to lip the squirrely notes into pitch without losing tone color.

If you want to go that route, I believe Schilke, Yamaha and Jupiter make left-handed trumpets as did King. There may be more out there.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just speculating, but wouldn’t it help to start using your left hand more for other tasks too….like writing, etc….and maybe strength training etc
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that Carolbrass, and likely others, offer left-handed trumpets. Basically looks like a 'regular' trumpet in a mirror. See most of the way down here: https://www.carolbrass.com/products.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=59C956552B3C38AE
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great cornet soloist, James Burke played left handed because he only had the use of one arm.

John McNeil, the great jazz trumpeter, taught himself to play left handed when illness caused him to lose the ability to play with his right hand. He eventually recovered and now plays right handed again.

So it is definitely possible to play left handed.

Last edited by tomba51 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sheldon, after his stroke, had to learn to play left handed. he was never satisfied with it, but he always strove for better.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student years ago that fell through a glass door and severed tendons in his right hand. He had to play with his left hand for several months and did great. He ended up adding another pinky hook on the bell to help and called his trumpet "The Bull Horn."

Jimmy Burke played with his left hand because his right hand and arm didn't work like normal.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a left handed trumpet.
There’s a guy in Connecticut that plays lefty on a traditional right horn. I believe he teaches applied trumpet at one of the state colleges, possibly Central Conn. His right hand seems to have some kind of disability He’s an excellent player, jazz and legit.
High school band mate of mine plays trombone lefty. He had polio and is right side is severely atrophied. Graduated from North Texas and played in house bands in Las Vegas for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: