• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One for the physicists

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: One for the physicists Reply with quote

To be clear: I'm not a physicist...and I'm not trying to start a wildfire here. That said, I would like to know in layman physics terms how the parameters of mouthpiece sizes (ie. cup volume, depth, etc.) influence the resulting timbral colour and volume of sound.

All I've understood from various discussions here is that 'energy in' excites various standing waves to various degrees...if that's even close to being correct(??). But wouldn't any mouthpiece do that? Is it that the parameters of the mouthpiece directly influence the resulting characteristics of the output waveforms...and therefore the resulting timbral (overtone) spectrum?

If this is more-or-less the case, then the horn is in large part more or less an amplifier? (I'm thinking power amp in hifi terms here). And the mouthpiece is more like the preamp? (with built-in 'tone controls').

Any physicists or acousticians out there?
Thx.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrations of lip aperture will include more overtones if the motion is non-sinusoidal/non-harmonic (e.g., approaching a square-shaped wave). This can be helped by reducing the depth of the mouthpiece. In the extreme case, lips will bounce away from the shallow mouthpiece surface, and the sound, rich with overtones will be very bright ("lead mouthpiece").

In contrast, a deep mouthpiece will facilitate a sinusoidal/harmonic vibration, making the sound dark (typical for flugelhorn or brass band cornet setup).
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my layman's view -

Trumpet does not function as an amplifier - it 'concentrates' (not like an electric condenser) and 'refines' the air pressure vibrations to produce its sound.

Mouthpiece rim shape and inner / outer diameter affect how the rim interfaces with the players lips, and can affect how the player is able to adjust their lips. And lip positioning affects how the vibration / pulsation is produced.

The size and shape of the cup / throat / backbore affect how the vibrations get reflected and 'bounced around'. The amount of interior space acts somewhat like an automobile shock absorber of the interior pressure and how that pressure affects the lips.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this is more-or-less the case, then the horn is in large part more or less an amplifier? (I'm thinking power amp in hifi terms here). And the mouthpiece is more like the preamp? (with built-in 'tone controls').

The instrument is a resonator, not an amplifier of any sort.

The mouthpiece properties affect the acoustics of the full instrument.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the below link to a paper Matt Frost wrote. It’s long at 383 pages, but look through the contents and you will likely locate some information you seek.
Ron

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/researchworks/bitstream/handle/1773/25455/Frost_washington_0250E_12622.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually like what Kalifa brings to the conversation, but this one:

“ The instrument is a resonator, not an amplifier of any sort”

Seems to be a good example of something the layman can take issue with, and maybe lead to developing a bad attitude about science in general.

If you buzz a mouthpiece and then while buzzing insert that buzz into a trumpet, it gets way louder. Therefore it has to be an amplifier of SOME sort. perhaps all it does is resonate, but if its louder, it’s an amplifier of some sort.

I am defining ‘amplifier” as something that makes sound louder.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Would it help?"
Rudolf Abel's character in "Bridge of Lies".

Just curious, why do you want to know? Are you going to start working on mouthpieces?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Amplifiers use external power not provided by the performer to increase the sound power out. He even added this context:

Quote:
(I'm thinking power amp in hifi terms here)

Adding the trumpet to a mouthpiece makes a much more efficient resonator, resulting in relatively much more output for the same air power input to a mouthpiece alone. But, sorry, still not an "amplifier".
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kehaulani asked: "Just curious, why do you want to know?"

I wuz curious whether there was any real truth to what I'd read (as opposed to opinions); and am always on the lookout for an (easily) implemented advantage to make the horns sound as good as they can. Am still not clear whether or how a larger backbore and/or throat would change the sound...
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
I usually like what Kalifa brings to the conversation, but this one:

“ The instrument is a resonator, not an amplifier of any sort”

Seems to be a good example of something the layman can take issue with, and maybe lead to developing a bad attitude about science in general.

If you buzz a mouthpiece and then while buzzing insert that buzz into a trumpet, it gets way louder. Therefore it has to be an amplifier of SOME sort. perhaps all it does is resonate, but if its louder, it’s an amplifier of some sort.

I get your point, but I think there's a good reason for kalijah's distinction here. As many teachers and theorists have demonstrated, you can release air through your lips and into the mouthpiece while in the playing position and not get any sound at all, but once that airstream meets the resistance of the trumpet, a trumpet tone results. The trumpet is not functioning as an amplifier here - there was no sound to amplify until the trumpet entered the equation. Good playing is (consciously or not) about working with the physics of the instrument, and treating it as something that makes mouthpiece buzzing louder (IE - where you buzz the mouthpiece first and plug that same input into the trumpet) is wasting a ton of energy, and compromising the quality of the output.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another distinction is that an amplifier would ideally have a "flat" frequency response. Showing no favoritism of amplified frequency. Obviously not a quality of the instrument.

The resonator, in this case the trumpet has very distinct, defined and STRONG resonances. A quality that would be a nightmare for an actual sound power amplifier but is essential to the trumpet or any brass instrument.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Adam did a behind the screen session where he played excerpts ranging from Brahms to Brandenburg to Beethoven. Everyone was gassed at how great he sounded on all of the excerpts. He played them all on a Bb trumpet and one mouthpiece. Draw your own conclusions.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: One for the physicists Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
To be clear: I'm not a physicist...and I'm not trying to start a wildfire here. That said, I would like to know in layman physics terms how the parameters of mouthpiece sizes (ie. cup volume, depth, etc.) influence the resulting timbral colour and volume of sound.

All I've understood from various discussions here is that 'energy in' excites various standing waves to various degrees...if that's even close to being correct(??). But wouldn't any mouthpiece do that? Is it that the parameters of the mouthpiece directly influence the resulting characteristics of the output waveforms...and therefore the resulting timbral (overtone) spectrum?

Any physicists or acousticians out there?
Thx.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/images/Conns_Blue_Booklet.pdf

Not exactly in "layman's" terms, but the information is explained well with graphs and diagrams to show the timbral differences occurring when various mouthpiece parameters are changed. It also covers the effects on intonation which has been a big help, at least for me, in selecting mouthpieces for different instruments.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The trumpet is a resonator, not an amplifier of ANY SORT”

Come on, the trumpet makes the mouthpiece louder. If it’s louder, it’s been amplified. It’s crazy to say that it has not been amplified. It’s an amplifier of SOME SORT.

How hard is that to wrap your head around?

Resonator:

“ A resonator is a device or system that exhibits resonance or resonant behavior. That is, it naturally oscillates with greater amplitude at some frequencies, called resonant frequencies”

Greater AMPLITUDE
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
... It’s an amplifier of SOME SORT. ...

---------------------------
The 'trumpet sound' is louder to our ears, but there is not any additional 'physics energy' beyond what the player is producing.

In technical writing, an amplifier produces more 'output energy' than the 'input energy' - and consumes more energy to operate the amplifier than the amount of additional energy it produces.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
“The trumpet is a resonator, not an amplifier of ANY SORT”

Come on, the trumpet makes the mouthpiece louder. If it’s louder, it’s been amplified. It’s crazy to say that it has not been amplified. It’s an amplifier of SOME SORT.

How hard is that to wrap your head around?

So, does that mean that a bathroom is also an amplifier for shower singing?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is not an amplifier. The trumpet resonates at certain frequencies, making it easier for the energy to be concentrated at those frequencies Power (energy) comes from the player. Despite what we may feel, neither the trumpet itself nor the mouthpiece add any energy to the system; some is necessarily lost through the instrument. The mouthpiece and horn help concentrate and focus the energy through resonance and dispersion control.

Your water hose and nozzle is not an amplifier either, though you might think so when you constrain the nozzle's aperture so the stream narrows and shoots farther. All the energy for the system is from the water source, nothing is added and in fact some is lost through the hose and nozzle.

Physics is often at odds with what people "know" by observation.

Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the trumpet were an amplifier of the mouthpiece only, then the tone would sound like a buzzed mouthpiece but louder and its "amplification" would be consistent regardless of the pitch played.

A typical trumpet with 3 valves is actually seven resonators. (or technically eight)

Quote:
Physics is often at odds with what people "know" by observation.

A poster once wrote that he checked my explanation with a competent physics expert he knew. He now disagrees with both of us.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
A poster once wrote that he checked my explanation with a competent physics expert he knew. He now disagrees with both of us.

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt: "The trumpet is an amplifier."

kalijah: "No, it's a resonator."

Halflip (after a blank, uncomprehending stare): "I hit the ball first time, and there it was in the back of the net!"

Reference:

Link

P.S. -- I'm opening a boutique.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: