• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming irritated

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
I checked out the thread in question, and now I understand. I support the moderator's decision to delete any thread where the OP includes URL parameters, so that the URL is so long that it screws up the formatting in our web browsers. (Please don't take that seriously.)

Are you referring to my quote?

LittleRusty wrote:
Is this the thread you are referring to?

Ah yes . . . one of my minor pet peeves (long unbroken URL's distorting thread width), and the solution promoted by LittleRusty (using syntax that substitutes a short label for the link in the body of a post).

It occurs to me that perhaps our TH site administrator (user ID "trumpetherald") could add logic to the post editor that would, upon submission, identify embedded URL's (regardless of length) and automatically insert the syntax that causes a short substitute label to appear when the post is displayed (the label could include an incremental sequence number to ensure uniqueness for multiple labels created in the same post/thread).

Maybe I'll send "trumpetherald" a PM . . .

Todd has stated he has been working on an updated forum for some time now. Hopefully the starting point/base software is newer than 2005 and has this feature built in already, but if not perhaps Todd will consider the request.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the thread seems useful for all time it will generally be cleaned up and returned if it has attracted a lot of bad posts. If it has run its course it will generally just be gone. As was noted earlier, it takes time to work through and clean up a thread, and TH is not a paying full-time job.

Long URLs are a pain. The usual solution is to edit the link to add a simple description instead.

Take this:

[u r l]very_long_rambling_address_nobody_likes_to_read[/ u r l]

Edit to:

[u r l=link]very_long_rambling_address_nobody_likes_to_read[/ u r l]

Where u r l is actually url. Then all that appears in the thread is the highlighted word "link".
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Long URLs are a pain. The usual solution is to edit the link to add a simple description instead.

Take this:

Edit to:

Where u r l is actually url. Then all that appears in the thread is the highlighted word "link".

Yes, except too many posters are not aware of this, or find it hard to do correctly. It would be much better if the edit were done automatically by a routine that executes when a poster clicks on "Submit".

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Take this:

Edit to:

Yes, except too many posters are not aware of this, or find it hard to do correctly. It would be much better if the edit were done automatically by a routine that executes when a poster clicks on "Submit".

That'd be nice, no idea how to do it, and no idea if Todd does. I notice more modern fora I frequent do automagically clip the url's, so maybe when the long-awaited update happens, it will take care of itself.

I have been known to go in and edit a long url when I venture into a thread and the display gets hosed, but life's too short to go looking for them.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
If the thread seems useful for all time it will generally be cleaned up and returned if it has attracted a lot of bad posts. If it has run its course it will generally just be gone. As was noted earlier, it takes time to work through and clean up a thread, and TH is not a paying full-time job.

Take this:

Edit to:

Maybe this is clearer?

[u r l=www.very_long_rambling_address_nobody_likes_to_read]short text description[/ u r l]

short text description

I always found I couldn’t remember the correct format until I discovered there are descriptions right above the blue outlined edit window. Just click on URL, or any other button, and the options are listed.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Todd has stated he has been working on an updated forum for some time now. Hopefully the starting point/base software is newer than 2005 and has this feature built in already, but if not perhaps Todd will consider the request.

I'm not holding my breath for any meaningful update on a website that proudly declares "copyright 1996 - 2004" at the bottom of every page.

I consider this whole website a cute window into what the internet used to be like. That's not a complaint. It's a cozy place. I just have no expectations for it to meaningfully advance in tech or purpose.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
I consider this whole website a cute window into what the internet used to be like.

Maybe someone should create a website that has no purpose other than to provide a nostalgic internet experience. It could even accept a date to pinpoint the internet era one wishes to 'visit'.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

Maybe someone should create a website that has no purpose other than to provide a nostalgic internet experience. It could even accept a date to pinpoint the internet era one wishes to 'visit'.

For some reason they don't type back very often when I do that.

Though it would be interesting to look back at the rec.music.makers.trumpet newsgroup from 20+ years ago and see the same "discussions" that we have now regarding all our standard topics.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all:

I recently made an adjustment to fix the issue with long URLs, or any long unbroken text.

See the thread in question: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1690551&highlight=#1690551

Regarding the overall upgrade to the site, I do have a solid start and plan for it, but it has been difficult for me to find time to complete the work. All I can do is apologize for that.

Best,
-td
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
I recently made an adjustment to fix the issue with long URLs, or any long unbroken text.

That is fantastic! Thank you very much.

Regarding the site upgrade, I think everyone on TH appreciates the great job you do and the time constraints you must face. No apologies are necessary, only gratitude (from us) for your generous support of the site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: