• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Online Sheet Music Preferences/Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Online Sheet Music Preferences/Recommendations Reply with quote

I've been using IMSLP to source free stuff, seems to be several online sources for purchasing sheet music. It's not obvious to me that one service is better than the others. Is deciding which service to use mostly a matter of cost?
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little biased for my recommendation due to the fact that I offer trumpet (brass) transcription/ arrangements and original compositions from my site...

but, when searching for the best product for the best price-

1. Ask your friends for what has worked for them.
2. Do specific web searches for your particular ensemble.
3. Don't purchase anything that does not have a recording to listen to.
4. Compare prices and find out if your material will be sent in snail mail or will be downloaded immediately to your desktop after purchase.
5. Many sites will list the difficulty of the material which will let you know if your ensemble is capable of performing it.
6. Many times, the independent composers/arrangers will be able to give you a better price because of the added expense paid to printing and advertising companies.

The best to you and yours from trumpetensemblemusic.com
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you are looking for. If it is method books, etudes, solos...especially, but hardly exclusively, out of print and/or copyright, then qpress.ca is a great place to start. They have a HUGE selection, all available in pdf. In the case of the oldest works, it is always worth checking to see if they are available for free elsewhere (such as IMSLP)....

Sheet Music Plus has titles available from many publishers as pdf, including some trumpet parts for ensemble pieces. Art of Sound Music also has an excellent selection available for download as a pdf, especially contemporary compositions and arrangements for brass quintet.

If there is a particular composer (or small publisher) you like, check their web site. Many composers either sell pieces directly from their site or provide a link for where to purchase them (which may be different locations depending on the piece).

For sake of convenience, I only purchase downloadable sheet music available in pdf (password protected or not).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: