• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hallowe'en: Ready to look stupid, make a fool of yourself?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Hallowe'en: Ready to look stupid, make a fool of yourself? Reply with quote

Over the years, I have come to dread and loathe Hallowe'en.

No problem doling out treats for kids in cute and interesting costumes.
But, attending Hallowe'en parties, and having to come up with some original costume or themed outfit, to win some lame prize, is something I really want to avoid.

Several years ago, my (then) girlfriend - a runway model and showgirl ... somehow convinced me to attend a Hallowe'en party with her.
I knew it was coming, and expected the pressure to attend.
Aaaarrgh ...

She arranged for me to be dressed up in a silly outfit, courtesy of her show-business friends: make-up and costume designers.
Have to say, they really did a bang-up job.
Never-the-less; I felt like an idiot, and couldn't wait to get out of the outfit ... get home, and have a stiff drink (good Scotch, please ).

Never again
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, my topic did not generate a thoughtful response.

I suspect most here are/were ashamed to admit they have experienced similar; albeit, in a lesser degree than my shame and loathing.

Women ... mothers, in particular ... seem to want to create mirth and "fun" for the dreaded Hallowe'en event (it's NOT a "holiday", folks ).
Perhaps (?) they want to fulfill some lame, silly, vicarious scenario of their own unrealized fantasies.

(I am NOT an amateur psychologist. Simply MY views of this goofy event).

YOUR attitudes may differ,
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my wife and I were in our late 30s/early 40s our social group (mostly church folks) seemed to want to do a lot of "dress up" parties (some associated with special days of the year, some for birthday parties.) I always struggled with that as (1) I'm not creative (2) I didn't see the point and (3) I frequently was working a graveyard shift and needed to leave the party early to get to work.

I would usually try to come up with something in the spirit of the event but was low maintenance. One year I found a gaudy 70s style track suit and went as Steve Prefontaine (not many people knew who he was so I spent most of the gathering explaining.)

Saw a lot of social media posts this year of parents dressing up for Halloween along with their kids as they were trekking around the neighborhood. Again, what's the point of that? Perhaps I'm just becoming a curmudgeon.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate dressing up to play for Halloween.

I don't mind the occasional costume party, as people tend to be very entertaining (i.e. stupid) when they think people won't recognize them.

That said, having to come up with a costume, especially at the last minute, for some gig on, or simply near a Halloween, makes me want to find a sub. Feels a bit like you're part of a circus act, insteasd of a band. I've 'phoned it in' a few times, something barely qualifiying as a costume, and gotten away with it, but really, what's the point? Are they there to LOOK at the band, or hear them, while enjoying the other costumed attendees?

YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: