• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

10 year mark of the comeback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Ten years ago today (Black Friday), I walked out of Music & Arts in West Hartford with a brand new Getzen 900 Eterna Classic and began the comeback after a 39-year layoff. Got a killer deal with the usual markdown AND a 15% off Black Friday coupon.

I did not play a couple months and quit. Now up to four Bb horns and about 3000 hours of practice. No community band. No teacher. Lots of noodling and ear work. Decent average (D-E above high C) range. 99.99% of my time is for my own meditative purposes. Better than Prevagen!

The $ I spent on that Eterna is about the best $1300 I ever spent. My wife thought I was nuts but now talks me up like I'm Clark Terry.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. My guess is you would enjoy it even more if you were able to join a community band or some other venue where you could make music with other people. I wish our community band had an opening or I could find somewhere to play...
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No community band for me. Had enough Sousa and band music in high school.

It's about the process itself for me, I don't have a need to entertain people.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:

Glad to hear of your success finding enjoyment through music and playing in a manner you see fit.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
Croquethed wrote:

Glad to hear of your success finding enjoyment through music and playing in a manner you see fit.

+1. Keep on going on!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
The $ I spent on that Eterna is about the best $1300 I ever spent. My wife thought I was nuts but now talks me up like I'm Clark Terry.

This is great. Playing strictly for the love of playing. I haven’t really played since college but have always thought “one day…” But can never find the time. Now my 12 year old daughter is in year 3 of band and I keep thinking how much fun a father daughter duet would be. Only problem is she’s better than me at this point.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Now my 12 year old daughter is in year 3 of band and I keep thinking how much fun a father daughter duet would be. Only problem is she’s better than me at this point.

Maybe that's the best reason to start playing again...so she can be better than her Dad at something
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Croquethed wrote:

This is great. Playing strictly for the love of playing. I haven’t really played since college but have always thought “one day…” But can never find the time. Now my 12 year old daughter is in year 3 of band and I keep thinking how much fun a father daughter duet would be. Only problem is she’s better than me at this point.

There's no shame in second chair, Brett!
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:
Maybe that's the best reason to start playing again...so she can be better than her Dad at something

Some how, she ended up incredibly intelligent without even trying. One of those kids. So she is already better than me at a lot of things. Something I'm painfully aware of whenever she needs help with homework. Thank God for Google.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year mark of the comeback Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Croquethed wrote:

I quit playing in 1971 when I got a draft notice from the Army and joined the Navy. About 8 years ago, my then 12 year old daughter announced, out of the blue, she was going to join her 6th grade band and play a trumpet. I live just west of Chicago and it turns out this area is rich with used trumpets, especially the estate sales (see my list, and that's only the ones that I decided to keep). I almost bought a used Getzen 700 Eterna. I was very impressed with it, but it was too nice for a 6th grader. I did play a Getzen once, a Titleist valve-rotor Bugle. I was in a Drum Corps before I joined the Navy.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: