• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Zs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JzzTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher wants me to get a Yamaha 6310Zs and I was wondering if it would be a good horn for me to get and have for a while. I am really advanced and I am going to high schol to mainly concentrate on jazz, but I will still be in a symphonic band, if any of that will help you to answer my question. Also another question are the new Vintage One series C.G. Conns any good?

Thanks
Matthew
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a great horn for any situation especially jazz. I have several Bb's and I could use my "Z" in any situation. This horn really surprised me just how great it played. You can find some good deals on these horns if you look around.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do jazz AND symphonic band with a Conn Vintage One. It is a very versatile trumpet. The Z horn would probably be ok in band with an appropriate mouthpiece. Watch for super closeout deals on the 6310Z in the next couple of months.

[ This Message was edited by: plankowner110 on 2004-01-25 16:59 ]
a-okay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you spend your $$ order the 8310Z - it is the New Shew Model (even better playing)
JzzTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that 8310Z, a-okay, but it isn't coming out until april. I guess I could wait, but I may not even get a "Z" because my teacher is going to bring me a bunch of horns and is going to let me try them out. If anyone has anymore info on these horns let me know.

Thanks
Matthew

[ This Message was edited by: JzzTrumpeter on 2004-01-25 18:33 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"teachers" are selling horns these days?
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6310Z is a nice horn. Because it is being discontinued and replaced with the 8310Z you will definitely find some great deals. There are a lot of choices in horns. It is not the horn that makes the jazz player but the player that makes the horn. The Vintage 1 is a great choice as many other pro-line horns would be. Really play and test the horns and find out what feels right for you. Don't rush into buying anything because someone wants you to. Enjoy the hunt for a new horn.

Mike
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-25 16:22, JzzTrumpeter wrote:
I am going to high schol to mainly concentrate on jazz

That's interesting. Matthew, I recommend that you devote as much effort and enthusiasm to the study of mathematics, English composition, history, and science as you do to jazz. You will rely upon those subject skills on a daily basis throughout your life. Be the best at everything!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z is a great all around horn that should work for both jazz and legit. So long as you're not playing "lead" the same mouthpiece should work in both situations. If you find you need more range for the "jazz" band, then go to a slightly smaller cup volume with the same rim. (Like a 7D if you use a 7C for symphonic).

Dave
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 6310Z and I think it's too bright and "harsh" for lack of a better term, in the upper registers for symphonic band. Maybe I just don't have a strong enough embouchure to control the sound in the higher registers, but I tried a Bach 43 and thought it made a better all around horn. And I like using my 6335HGSII better for concert and jazz band. But the 6335HGSII is used and has some valve issues. So I'm thinking of making it my backup horn (and let my son use it) and getting a Bach 43 as my main trumpet.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthesizing what others have said:

6310 Z-A great player, some argue can be an all-arounder, some say biasted towards jazz/commercial playing. Decide yourself-but, they will be dirt cheap with the soon-to-be released 8310 Z.

8310 Z-More expensive, not much else known. Malone at the helm? Should be an incredible horn.

Conn Vintage One-My baby! These are also incredible horns, and very versatile-definitely keep them in the ring.

My overall advice? Wait for the release of the 8310 Z and compare them all. If you like the feel that the Z horns offer, compare-it the higher price of the 8XXX worth the quality change? My speculations will be yes, but you'll find out for yourself. Or, the Vintage One will serve you beautifully for jazz and legit!

P.S. I think jr. high going into sr. is a bit early to think so narrow as to say you'll only to jazz. Keep very active in all genres of music, most pros have a very "liberal arts" foundation in terms of music they played when younger.

[ This Message was edited by: oneeyedhobbit on 2004-01-26 15:31 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are mainly a jazz player I say seriously consider a Z. I have played one for over 2 years and love it. I don't think it is appropriate for classical. I played a Bach 37 all the way through high school and college. I think a Bach is great for legit. You could have 2 horns one for jazz and one for legit. Try lots of horns and go with the one you like and sounds good and feels good no matter what the brand. Good luck and if you have any further questions send me a private message. BTW I am a jazz/commercial player with lots of playing experience.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree keep your options open. By the way there an awful lot of Jazz Players that play a Bach. A 6310Z or a 8310Z will not make you a jazz player. Find a horn you like that will work in a variety of situations because when you are in school you are going to to be in a lot of different playing situations.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: