• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Last night's church Christmas concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Last night's church Christmas concert Reply with quote

Just wanted to post this and let those of you who play in similar environments to rejoice with me!

The last several years the church music minister was an elderly gentleman who (my opinion) was accustomed to having collegiate/semi-professional musicians in both the choir and the orchestra. His Christmas programs were long (90 minutes) and both technically and endurance challenging (certainly for the brass sections, but also for some of the older members of the choir.) There have been concerts during the last couple years where we came very close to serious train wrecks.

He retired (again) and early this year the church brought in a very young man (30s) and he has been phenomenal. Great leadership... no doubt who is in charge but very considerate and positive in praising our efforts. Not over the top cheerleading but more along the lines of "...I know this is a challenging piece and you all are working hard on it, here's what I need in order to tweak your performance a bit and bring it to the next level..."

Last night's program was more lyrical in nature than in years past. We did do a Camp Kirkland brass centric orchestra only prelude The Angels' Hallelujah but other selections included orchestrations by Dan Goeller (my personal favorite... we've done several of his pieces in the past) and Cliff Duren. Probably the toughest brass licks (syncopation) were on the kids' ministry presentation of Born is the King (Ray Jones, Amanda Singer arrangement.)

The overall demeanor of the director during the concert was different, too. Lots of smiles, discreet thumbs up, under the breath "Amens" as opposed to a stressed look of concern during the whole thing

Here's to all of you having great playing under "appropriate" leadership this holiday season!

Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Last night's church Christmas concert Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:

He retired (again)

That part made me laugh.

Glad you're all enjoying your new leadership and direction.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great start with a new director.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up:

This year I was able to participate in a second Christmas program as our church orchestra was invited to play with another.... let's call it affluent... church in the city of Atlanta.

The privilege here was to sit amongst several professional musicians who were hired by the church. We had a young, very personable tuba-ist sitting next to the trumpet section who didn't miss a note, entrance or articulation during either the two hour dress rehearsal or the Sunday morning concert. Similarly, there was an oboeist and a couple violins and a cellist that were remarkable.

I came away honored and inspired to be part of this event. My admonition to you, my fellow comeback players: get involved in a group setting. You never know where it will lead

tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you go to church? I'd love to hear your group.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in this production with about 150 singers and a 50 piece orchestra at our church. Dress rehearsal was last Wednesday, one performance Thursday, one Friday, three on Saturday, a church service Sunday morning, and the last performance Sunday night. About 10,000 free tickets were distributed, and the sanctuary was packed at every performance. BTW, the orchestra played 3 pieces as the crowd was coming in that aren’t part of the recording.

https://vimeo.com/895431905?fbclid=IwAR0TaKir1JG4zMpTTOfm2gX-qggf2se1iLXkpox3wHMvuuoQC6xCXx2BGTQ

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played in this production at our church. Dress rehearsal was last Wednesday, one performance Thursday, one Friday, three on Saturday, a church service Sunday morning, and the last performance Sunday night.

https://vimeo.com/895431905?fbclid=IwAR0TaKir1JG4zMpTTOfm2gX-qggf2se1iLXkpox3wHMvuuoQC6xCXx2BGTQ

Looks like fun - though twice as many on stage as there will be in the entire building where I play Christmas Eve. The days of packed churches seem to be over in Detroit.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
Where do you go to church? I'd love to hear your group.

Thanks for asking. Here's the Christmas program from Dec 10:

https://www.youtube.com/live/4upiRUexQhk?si=2kahFmhe3g7iDyP6

We are in Decatur near the Northlake Mall on LaVista Rd. We alternate weekly services between the traditional with choir/orchestra and contemporary praise band. Going forward a few weeks, orchestra is scheduled to play Dec 24, Jan 7, Jan 21.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played in this production with about 150 singers and a 50 piece orchestra at our church. Dress rehearsal was last Wednesday, one performance Thursday, one Friday, three on Saturday, a church service Sunday morning, and the last performance Sunday night. About 10,000 free tickets were distributed, and the sanctuary was packed at every performance.

That's awesome, Dale. Thanks for posting the link. Very nice videography, too!

Aside: I was really happy this year that our attire was black shirt, black pants and no tux with potentially restrictive collar/bow tie

Last edited by WxJeff on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:
I played in this production at our church. Dress rehearsal was last Wednesday, one performance Thursday, one Friday, three on Saturday, a church service Sunday morning, and the last performance Sunday night.

Looks like fun - though twice as many on stage as there will be in the entire building where I play Christmas Eve. The days of packed churches seem to be over in Detroit.

Yes, that’s sad. We had about 200 on stage (150 singers and 50+ in the orchestra. All total, around 10,000 attended the presentation.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played in this production with about 150 singers and a 50 piece orchestra at our church. Dress rehearsal was last Wednesday, one performance Thursday, one Friday, three on Saturday, a church service Sunday morning, and the last performance Sunday night. About 10,000 free tickets were distributed, and the sanctuary was packed at every performance.

Really nice! That's the home of Eggbeater Jesus, right?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff, nice music. My daughter lives not far from your church. I may visit you one Sunday.

Dale, colossal event! Did you play Hallelujah Chorus on the wee beastie, or did you use a Bb like a real man? 😀
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
WxJeff, nice music. My daughter lives not far from your church. I may visit you one Sunday.

Dale, colossal event! Did you play Hallelujah Chorus on the wee beastie, or did you use a Bb like a real man? 😀

Thanks! I played it most nights with a Connstellation 9C-W mouthpiece on my old ML 43 Strad. The last performance I manned up and played it on a Curry 3C. I sold my picc years ago, so a standard Bb trumpet was my only option.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Really nice! That's the home of Eggbeater Jesus, right?

Thanks! Yes it’s the famous Eggbeater Jesus church…lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: