• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for an endurance-building practice routine

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackquill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for an endurance-building practice routine Reply with quote

Endurance is one of my weakest areas, so I thought I'd ask what (and how) to practice for the next month to build (specifically) endurance. (no rehearsals or gigs until next month)

I know practicing soft Clarke exercises is one good thing to do. Would it be beneficial if I did that for 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days? (I only practice about two hours a week normally, so this would be a bit of an upgrade in terms of time) Any specific tips? Or are there other things I could try doing?

Lately I've been practicing Mystery to Mastery (Gold Medal Stage), Iron's lip slurs, long tones, and single tonguing scales in the Arban's book. I'm a college-level player. I've practiced Clarke stuff in the past, but not lately. I'd prefer not to buy a new method book... well, if I did buy one, I'd have to plan on using it beyond these 30 days, of course.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing a lot more soft practice in my playing a couple of months ago. I've also used my practice mute (Stomvi UpMute) to work on optimizing my air flow, and not spending so much time working on range.

The result is that I survived my grueling annual church Christmas gig last night in better shape than I've finished in the last 25 years--and that included playing thirty minutes worth of Christmas carol preludes with no rests, an orchestral feature, a long flugelhorn/piano duet, and of course, finishing with the Hallelujah Chorus on piccolo. For the first time in many years I still had chops left at the end of the night. Usually I'm fried during the half-hour prelude and it's all I can do to hang on for the rest of the program. Last night I felt better prepared--and this was after practicing with a canker sore on the inside of my lower lip for three days before the gig.

The key to endurance, in my opinion, is softer practice for longer sessions (resting as long as you play) and only a small portion of practice dedicated to high range and chop gymnastics.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance training on the horn is just like any endurance training... Easy and continuous for a long time straight. All easy, nothing strenuous in any way. Take a long rest AFTER it, not during. In fact, it's OK if that's the only playing you do for the day. Do it every day for at least two weeks, maybe a month.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Knevitt's "5 Ways to Build Ultra Endurance on Trumpet" is worth considering. It has daily routines built around five categories of exercises. I have found the fifth category, which he calls the "Sigmund Hering Routine", to be particularly useful.

You can find it here:
https://qpress.ca/product/5-ways-build-ultra-endurance-trumpet/
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Endurance training on the horn is just like any endurance training... Easy and continuous for a long time straight. All easy, nothing strenuous in any way. Take a long rest AFTER it, not during. In fact, it's OK if that's the only playing you do for the day. Do it every day for at least two weeks, maybe a month.

Doug is exactly right.

Blackquill wrote:
. . . two hours a week normally . . .

Endurance training requires "volume" or "time on the horn" for it to be effective. 30 mins of nearly continuous playing at a very easy/non-strenuous dynamic may be enough to offset the significant bump in "time on the horn." However, if half-way through the week you feel beat up, take a day off. Listen to your body!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two hours per week will get you nowhere.

Try two hours per day.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to qpress.ca and download a copy of Paul Baron's "Trumpet Voluntarily."

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig up the free Marine Corps Band Sousa marches, 1st/Solo Cornet parts.. turn a metronome on, go.. all repeats, don't stop.. if you make it through one, turn the page to the next.. do it again.

Train like an athlete. You can't have max days every day. Build a cycle of effort days - 3-7 days.. Give your muscles time to recover and build

And short more frequent sessions vs. one long one during a day can be more productive. 20-30 minutes warm-up/drill work, break, 20-30 minute technical session (scales, Clarke, tonging, agility, range.. etc), break, 20-30 minute solo. etude, excerpt session.. as a minimum this would be a killer productive plan.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the Compression Training System, by Larry Merrigliano (not sure on that spelling). It’s a device just to exercise the embouchure muscles. It’s silent and can be used anywhere. It works.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, too many of us place more emphasis on training the embouchure area in our quest for "endurance" than we do on the breathing apparatus. Again, IMO, if we cannot take a large part of our effort from the small muscles of the embouchure area and place them on the larger and more used muscles that go into breathing, both inhaling and exhaling, we are neglecting a major component in playing.

As an illustration, years ago as a HS band instructor, it became obvious that students involved in DCI came back with much better playing concepts and ease in overall playing than the students who were just doing the normally-expected practice (or not...). Then, years later, in the college studio, I was fortunate to work with a fellow staff member from Japan who had grown up in one of those band groups there where students enter at age 9 or so. (If you haven't seen Youtubes of these "Japanese Elementary Band Competitions", take the time to watch a few. She had a wonderful sound and great endurance regardless of how much time she was able to practice on her own, week to week.

Anyway, the one thing that was evident in both of these extremes is the emphasis placed on proper breathing throughout their studies. Not just spoken about, but actual, long and focussed exercise. As one gains in the capacity to breathe as is necessary to perform well on a wind instrument, everything becomes easier and more efficient, and the tone will reflect this, as will the ability to play longer, higher, louder, softer, etc.

Perhaps a trip to "The Brass Gym" with Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian
( https://patricksheridan.com/products/the-brass-gym ) will help out. Good luck with your endeavors.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add two further ideas to the wonderful suggestions above:

1. Use Warburton's P.E.T.E. opposite of your practice sessions (for example, if you rehearse or practice in the evenings, workout on the P.E.T.E. in the mornings). I will often use a P.E.T.E. while working at my computer and while watching TV and it does a great job of strengthening the embouchure muscles that control one's aperture to increase range and endurance.

2. Purchase a mouthpiece identical to your normal mouthpiece but with a much larger throat and practice your fundamental exercises upon it. This will also strengthen the foundational aperture muscles of your embouchure like a P.E.T.E. but will to train you to better control your breath/wind as you blow through a mouthpiece with far less resistance. Most trumpet players will initially expel their breath exceedingly fast when using a large throat mouthpiece, like when trying to play a trombone or tuba. However, just like low brass players, high brass players can learn to withhold their wind and control their breath to play more and more measures on a single breath like Herbert Clarke exercises recommend.

In addition to strengthening one's embouchure muscles to gain endurance, one needs to accept the physics concept that a trumpet already contains all the air molecules it needs to start and sustain a standing wave and make a sound. Your trumpet neither contains a vacuum nor meaningfully expands and contracts like a ballon to alter its air volume. A trumpet merely lacks a pair of lips to initiate a standing wave within the air inside it and then vibrate sympathetically with that standing wave on each pitch/tone to sustain each tone. Thinking about the physics of the trumpet in this way has helped me master the skill of endurance when needed.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Consider the Compression Training System, by Larry Merrigliano (not sure on that spelling). It’s a device just to exercise the embouchure muscles. It’s silent and can be used anywhere. It works.

One can do the same exercises with the same environment with the mouthpiece alone.

Quote:
Again, IMO, if we cannot take a large part of our effort from the small muscles of the embouchure area and place them on the larger and more used muscles that go into breathing, both inhaling and exhaling, we are neglecting a major component in playing.

These are not dependent. There is nothing that the breathing apparatus can do to "replace" effective embouchure function. The breathing provides air pressure and air flow. Efficient embouchure function and tone production will require less air effort (which still must vary with dynamics). Both can be reduced with good efficiency. One does not and cannot replace the other. Efficiency plus strength = endurance.

The BEST thing one can do to improve endurance is improve embouchure efficiency across the entire range. (Starting with reducing the effort required in the low to mid-range first) Improving strength alone gives limited improvements.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
... The BEST thing one can do to improve endurance is improve embouchure efficiency across the entire range. (Starting with reducing the effort required in the low to mid-range first) Improving strength alone gives limited improvements.

-----------------------------------------------
I agree that improving embouchure efficiency is needed for improved endurance. My understanding being 'embouchure efficiency' means good use of the muscles that are really needed for embouchure control and function, and reduction of muscle use that is not necessary or inhibits function of the 'needed' muscles.

We've recently discussed the benefit of producing the most resonant sound as a way to gain efficiency - and now might be a good time to discuss good ways of doing muscle control to produce that resonance, with less use of muscles that are not beneficial.

Perhaps some players use too tight corners, too much jaw, too much tongue, too much internal air pressure, too much rim pressure, etc.

My belief is that embouchure control needs to be focused on forming the lip aperture that is able to vibrate as needed. Using muscles to reproduce the 'look' or 'description' of a teacher needs to be carefully analyzed to understand how the aperture benefits from those actions - because the goal is the aperture function.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

One can do the same exercises with the same environment with the mouthpiece alone.

Quote:
Again, IMO, if we cannot take a large part of our effort from the small muscles of the embouchure area and place them on the larger and more used muscles that go into breathing, both inhaling and exhaling, we are neglecting a major component in playing.

These are not dependent. There is nothing that the breathing apparatus can do to "replace" effective embouchure function. The breathing provides air pressure and air flow. Efficient embouchure function and tone production will require less air effort (which still must vary with dynamics). Both can be reduced with good efficiency. One does not and cannot replace the other. Efficiency plus strength = endurance.

The BEST thing one can do to improve endurance is improve embouchure efficiency across the entire range. (Starting with reducing the effort required in the low to mid-range first) Improving strength alone gives limited improvements.

I disagree. The mouthpiece alone offers no resistance. The CTS allows you to strengthen the embouchure, with a visible gauge to work smarter. Giving greater control on your practice regime.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look. There's a lot of stuff out there, but ultimately things like PETE, CTS, etc., are for those that are already practicing and dialed in and are looking for that edge or next 1%. You're not there yet.

You rightly identified that practicing 2 hours a week isn't going to improve your endurance. To get better at running, runners run. Trumpeters should trumpet. Easy miles, continuous. Just like many are saying.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Look. There's a lot of stuff out there, but ultimately things like PETE, CTS, etc., are for those that are already practicing and dialed in and are looking for that edge or next 1%. You're not there yet.

You rightly identified that practicing 2 hours a week isn't going to improve your endurance. To get better at running, runners run. Trumpeters should trumpet. Easy miles, continuous. Just like many are saying.

But runners don’t just run, they use other techniques to improve, Fartlek, HIIT, Hill running etc. 2 hours a week might not be enough, but 2 hours a week and 10minutes a day with a CTS might be. I wonder how many people are dismissing the CTS, without actually owning one?

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For myself, the biggest increase in endurance came not from heavy and long practice, but from learning to play more efficiently. Practicing a lot (and playing fundamentals for that matter) only started to have benefits after I learned to play with a good technique. Before that, I could spend practicing as long as I liked and only get frustration in return.

It also helps to really understand what a specific exercise is supposed to achieve, and how to play it properly (and if you do, the specific variant matters less). Just playing a line of notes over and over without paying attention to the how and why's isn't going to do much either. If you have a teacher, they will likely be able to help you with that.

Work smarter, not harder.

N.B. That goes for any training apparatus too; unless you understand your own embouchure and how the apparatus is supposed to be use in order to achieve certain benefits, just blowing into it every so often isn't gonna do much, if anything at all.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
But runners don’t just run, they use other techniques to improve, Fartlek, HIIT, Hill running etc. 2 hours a week might not be enough, but 2 hours a week and 10minutes a day with a CTS might be. I wonder how many people are dismissing the CTS, without actually owning one?

You seem to have some knowledge of running training, so I'm surprised by your response here.

No professional runner is telling somebody who basically doesn't run, to immediately: weight train, Fartlek, hill run, etc. They are generally telling them to build a zone 2 base and increasing volume (time on the horn/time running). That's what we are doing here. The OP needs to spend as much time on the horn as possible because 2 hours a week is not a feasible training schedule. Yes, all the side stuff is great, but not for a sedentary person, at least at the beginning.

I did not dismiss CTS, I don't even know what it is except a lot of tools that are trumpet adjacent. The testimonials are hard to ignore, but AGAIN they are all from pro players. I don't see any educators on there talking about what they did for their beginning student. I'll reiterate, you need to hit a threshold of trumpeting (running), build a base, and then go from there.

stuartissimo wrote:
For myself, the biggest increase in endurance came not from heavy and long practice, but from learning to play more efficiently. Practicing a lot (and playing fundamentals for that matter) only started to have benefits after I learned to play with a good technique.

Same goes for this comment. It's possible the OP has PERFECT efficiency. But they can't know until they run into a training plateau. Time on the horn is the most important thing at the moment.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Same goes for this comment. It's possible the OP has PERFECT efficiency. But they can't know until they run into a training plateau. Time on the horn is the most important thing at the moment.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and expect different results. Playing more often with the same poor technique is just gonna reinforce that poor technique. Of course more time on the horn is beneficial, all I’m saying that my experience is that it’s gonna be a lot more productive if approached in a smart and thoughtful manner (as opposed to just playing more and hoping for improvements).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and expect different results. Playing more often with the same poor technique is just gonna reinforce that poor technique. Of course more time on the horn is beneficial, all I’m saying that my experience is that it’s gonna be a lot more productive if approached in a smart and thoughtful manner (as opposed to just playing more and hoping for improvements).

I think you're misreading the OP. The OP essentially said: I don't practice and my endurance is bad. What it seems you are are reading is: I practice, I have spent years on the horn, I have done it all, and my endurance is bad.

I have not suggested (in the slightest) that they do same thing again and again. I'm literally telling them to practice (a regular practice regimen) which is quite literally the OPPOSITE of what they are doing.

YES a smart and thoughtful manner is exactly what I have suggested as well (implicit in my first response). But 2 hours a week smart and thoughtful isn't going to get them much further than they are. That would be doing the same thing and expecting different results. I agree with your previously quoted sentiment, but the primary objective is more time on the horn at the moment. You can couple that with focusing on efficiency, but not without time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: