• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for an endurance-building practice routine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: More info Reply with quote

Blackquill wrote:
... but I struggle with attacks a lot (coordination issue), supple air, and tiring out very quickly.

-----------------------------------
The trouble with initial attacks might be due to the 'mechanics' of how you do them.

There are 2 main methods that I know about:
1) Simultaneous aperture setting, tongue action, and exhalation.
2) Step-wise: Set aperture, build internal air pressure, release air.

I think that most people do #1, some people have success with #2.

I suggest you work to improve your initial attacks before going on to working on endurance.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: More info Reply with quote

Blackquill wrote:
Ah, I haven't said anything for a while. I just checked today and missed out on a lot of discussion. I appreciate all the attempts to help.a

stuartissimo wrote:

Same goes for this comment. It's possible the OP has PERFECT efficiency. But they can't know until they run into a training plateau. Time on the horn is the most important thing at the moment.

The truth is, I have terrible efficiency. It's the real reason for me endurance woes, not just inadequate practice time. I'm not looking for endurance like the pros have. I just want the endurance that the other amateurs have. I don't even have that. (but my playing in general is better than most amateurs, initial attacks aside). I took lessons in college, but they never seemed to know why my air wasn’t solid, and so they only treated the symptoms rather than solving the root problem. I’m a college level player (played in the top ensembles in college) when it comes to tone and musicality, but I struggle with attacks a lot (coordination issue), supple air, and tiring out very quickly. Well, my rate of getting a decent attack is probably like 95%, but anything less than 99.9% is unacceptable. For "perfect" attacks the rate is probably more like 80%... not good. Again, this needs to be 99+%. But if it's a BAD day, then my playing is SO bad that it's like a 25% chance of getting a decent attack... in the practice room, that is. I haven't come across such a bad situation in a rehearsal or performance, thankfullly. I do wonder why my WORST days seem to happen only in the practice room....

It would take ages to explain everything that has gone on, but I will say this: there’s no question there’s a link between my air issues and my coordination issues. I often wonder whether the solution is to work on coordination to improve my air, OR if it’s the opposite…. if I need to improve my air which will automatically make it easier to coordinate my playing. Which one would you say is the more likely solution? (so I can more easily seek the appropriate teacher) Keep in mind I have Aspergers… the symptoms vary from person to person, but for me, I am handicapped in the coordination of the body. I struggle with playing sports or doing workouts correctly or even doing dance moves (Keep in mind I’m well-coordinated after the initial attack when playing a phrase on trumpet… that’s because focusing on the music allows your body to coordinate things automatically) Not just that… I have a pectus excavatum that limits air capacity, and it’s possible that it constricts my air considerably in both thickness and speed. So yeah, I’m not sure what kind of help I will need to diagnose the problem. Any ideas on diagnosing the issue would be appreciated. Is there a particular kind of teacher I should seek?

Anyway, as for my practice regimen… I switched to Clarke exercises, played very softly, for 90% of my practice sessions. I lasted five days before my air stopped working… (when my chops get overworked over the course of a few days, my chops don’t feel tired… it’s just that the airflow gets really, really bad and I can’t even slur a scale smoothly, and it’s really hard to even do a basic air attack) That’s better than two days of previous practice regimens that involve harder playing. Perhaps if I take a day off playing every four days of Clarke practicing, I will be able to build my endurance. In fact, that will be my plan between now and my first rehearsal in January

Yes, my situation is so bad that practicing trumpet normally seems to only wear me down rather than increasing my endurance… despite resting a lot during practice sessions. My best days of playing are always when I haven’t played for a few days. Fresh chops = my air is a lot more responsive. If I could just be able to play like that every day I would be able to practice more and have considerably better technique. But alas… I'll just practice a lot of Clarke exercises for now and hope to seem some improvement by mid-January.

Now this is something crucial. And thanks for being so fortright with us - only brave men do that! pectus excavatum - is this a severe case thereby hampering your breath? I ask because I too was born with such a deformity (so I thought throughout my childhood). But for me it has not been a problem in the physical way. Perhaps to you? But I was keenly aware of it during my childhood and teens - thus affecting me psychologically. In fact I started training my body in order to look like all other boys - eventually finding that nobody cared - but myself....

Asberger or not - I´m thinking that maybe, this just a question, you are overdoing things? It´s far too easy to practice too much thus developing an over use state, or coming very close to it. Been there done that.
Could this be true of your situation?
Once I read a post on the TH where the OP said "I always wanted to be perfect - but I thought I was better than that". Self is worst critic....Only satisfaction if 99,9%....perfection is a rare condition; almost elusive....

Tell you a story: Back in the day I told myself to play perfectly which I didn´t, of course. So when I joined the university band you were, kind of, allowed not to play perfectly so my success rate improved quite a lot! That inner critic!!!
Maybe maybe, you might become helped by a scheme with progressive warm up studies? To be practiced, not performed, gently and only after that beginning with Clarke or what ever. Sort of teaching yourself to find out the "daily" state of your chops. These states do vary for many reasons.If one day "not responsive" then easy does it.
I´ve found one such scheme: https://daveballou.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/AnIntegratedWarmup.pdf Helped me a lot.

" I lasted five days before my air stopped working". Would it be possible for you to explain that more closely?? Do you refer to a gradual build up of tiredness (lactid acid) or what? Whenm too tired my attacks suck because the "grip" on the mouthpiece is gone. And BTW: my "air". The very stream of air coming out? Or what - please forgive for being so inquisitive. Or do you so to speak "run out of steam", on the verge of giving it up?

Your problems seem to torment you mostly or even only in the practice room? You wonder about that? Makes us two! Maybe maybe you are doing something to yourself, quite inadvertently?? You wouldn´t be the first one...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
mikepurcell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: I agree with :Trumpeters should trumpet Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Look. There's a lot of stuff out there, but ultimately things like PETE, CTS, etc., are for those that are already practicing and dialed in and are looking for that edge or next 1%. You're not there yet.

You rightly identified that practicing 2 hours a week isn't going to improve your endurance. To get better at running, runners run. Trumpeters should trumpet. Easy miles, continuous. Just like many are saying.

Trumpeters should trumpet, keep the time allow to practice constanting playinmg on your mind. Find those little moments 5-10 minutes. If you have limited time to practice then find ways to practice during "Non-Practice sessions". When your running errands or commuting bring along a mouthpiece to buzz. Buzz softly and rest often when using the mouthpiece. The PETE tool is also a great way to strengthen your embouchure. For the practice session, some good strenth building exercises are IRON 27 groups of flexibllity exercices, Caruso Five Exercises for Trumpet and Long tones. Remember to rest as much as you play.
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/trumpet-info.html

Daily Routine Files, excellent practice material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: