• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Startup Advice on Instruments, lessons. etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawnms00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Startup Advice on Instruments, lessons. etc Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I played throughout high school and college, was a member of High School Concert and Jazz band, an All-State Performance Marching Band for 2 years in High School and College Concert and Marching Band in the 90's. Then life happened. I played a Yamaha Student model to begin and then my parents splurged and upgraded me to a Getzen Capri when I started Jazz Band. Unfortunately that horn is now long gone.

I finally have a house with a basement (as opposed to an apartment with shared walls) that I can play and practice in, and I'm looking to get back into it.

I have 3 trumpets in my house: A Getzen Super Deluxe, A Getzen Capri and a King 600. None of them are in good shape. The Capri's third valve is misaligned and doesn't fit into the horn, the Super Deluxe is a bit beat up--the bell is bent and the valves are stuck, although I haven't really even tried to clean it or oil it yet, and the King is in ok shape, but the valves are also stuck. All of these horns I acquired for pennies, and I dream of how beautiful the super deluxe could be fully restored, and having a Capri in my hands again would be great.

I want to start playing again and Osmun Music is in the next town over, but I have massive anxiety about taking my horns in and seeing the price tag for repairs. It's like taking your car to the mechanic--you know it has to be done and that it's going to cost you... I have the same anxiety over that!

Would it be better to just buy a new cheap student horn to start with or would it be better to restore one of these?

Also, are there any good online lessons out there?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would either take one of your horns (I would take the Capri) and send it to Charlie Melk or Josh Landress for a rehabilitation'

Or buy a basic Yamaha, which will do you well for some time.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have enough information to make an informed decision right now. The Getzen Capri is still in production, and is a solid horn. I'd suggest you take that to Osmun Music and figure out how much the repair(s) would cost. Then you'll be a position to make an informed decision.

Note that playing condition is largely independent of cosmetic condition. If you want the horn to play AND look great it may cost more than just returning it to great playing condition (depending on its current condition).

Good luck!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Start up Reply with quote

Hello Dawn,
Welcome to the TH. I agree with the idea about taking the Capri in for some repair. It may not be as bad as you think. Ultra-sonics and minor repair here on the west coast might run $200 +/-. Money well spent if you don't want to buy a used horn. You can liquidate later when you are ready to move up.
You have enough experience to search out the tutorials on trumpet playing. Steve Dillard/Horntrader had 5 short videos, up that I really liked. There are others. Jim Wilt got me through the pandemic with his videos of Charlier. I would pick a couple of folks and imitate how they play at first. There are plenty of approaches and tone/technic things you can get going, before you get a teacher.
Seek out a local community band and get trumpet nerdy with some of the players. Some of the best lessons I ever had, were from the guys I played with. The experiences that others had really had an impact on me.
I am just a retired band director that had a chance to play with every group in town.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, are there any good online lessons out there?

Studying in person is best, but if that's not an option, check out Virtu Academy. They typically have a solid roster of teachers:

https://www.virtu.academy/#teachers
Aj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take in both the super deluxe and getzen capri for a quote. The capri is a good student horn and worth repairing. Perhaps fund repairs by selling the others cheaply (quickly) on Ebay or here at TH?

Get a local experienced teacher in your area. Join a community band, playing with others will inspire your practice and widen your social network. All good mental health stuff.

I did all these things when a comeback player over 25 years ago and now I direct bands, teach and freelance around town. Go for it!

All the best.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all decent horns. You will do ok
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't buy a new TSO - trumpet shaped object.

Go with the Capri. If needed, you can buy a used 3rd valve on eBay for $25. Take it to Osmun and get a quote. Let's say they quote you $250 - that's $150 more than a TSO.

You now have a trumpet that you are familiar with - one that is easy to source parts for - that can accept upgrades (you can replace your valve guides with metal Edwards guides) and that you could always sell for $300 to $500.

Save the Super Deluxe for later. We all want one but it is the oldest and will probably need the most work to get it into prime playing condition.

I respect the King 600 as a good beginning level trumpet but I wouldn't spend money to fix it up since good playing ones can be had for under $100 including shipping from ShopGoodWill. This would be a good horn to practice your DIY repair skills on or give it away for someone else to fix.

Oh - I agree with Aj - join a community band. Demand to be allowed to play last chair 3rd and stay there for at least a year until your chops come back. Technique comes back much more quickly than "chops" so don't get sucked into playing first before you are ready. Private lessons? Gread idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: