• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Third Valve slide stop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Third Valve slide stop Reply with quote

Hello, I have a brand new yamaha 8335 kangakki and it has two places to put the screw that stops the third valve slide from falling out. Does anyone know why?
kaitp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw an explanation on the Yamaha website a while back that the position of the screw changes the blowing comfort.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being familiar at all with this model, I did some Internet searching. Went to the Sweetwater site for their descriptions and stuff.

I didn't see in any pictures nor was there anything in the written descriptions about two different locations for the 3rd slide stop screw. Would you please post a couple of pics of that?

However, there was something that really got my curiosity up. In the written description, it says "You'll appreciate how easy it is to fine-tune the YTR-8335IIRKG's blowing resistance, courtesy of this horn's first slide button..."

I looked as best I could on the pictures and I didn't see anything that looked like a "button." There's the thumb ring for adjusting the first slide position, but no button. And I also have no idea how adjusting a button could affect the blowing resistance of the horn.

Do they mean that the brace between the bottom bell section and the first tuning slide is movable? If so, that's a Bob Malone thing from back in his LA custom work days. And yes - I know Bob is with Yamaha now. One of my horns had the last valve alignment he did before leaving LA.

Anyway....just curious. Any legit explanations are appreciated.

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YTR8335IIRKG--yamaha-ytr-8335iirkg-ln-kangakki-limited-edition-xeno-trumpet

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
kaitp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a reverse model, but I found a Japanese site that has a description and picture of the third extraction tube.
https://wind.yamano-music.co.jp/shop/g/gG000034376H/
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It changes the resistance. Move the screw from outside to between the tubes and the resistance will increase.

And the "button" on the first slide refers to the nib that wasn't present on the gen I zenos. Zeno II gets the nib.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaitp wrote:
It is a reverse model, but I found a Japanese site that has a description and picture of the third extraction tube.
https://wind.yamano-music.co.jp/shop/g/gG000034376H/

How sneaky of them!

dschwab wrote:
And the "button" on the first slide refers to the nib that wasn't present on the gen I zenos. Zeno II gets the nib.

Is the nib position adjustable? On Bob's work on the when he was in LA, there was a longer bell ferrule coming out of the 1st valve for the nib to slide on.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the nib is the little metal “button” soldered onto the curved part of the slide to aid in pulling it out. It isn’t adjustable, I think that was a marketing person not knowing what they were talking about.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
I think that was a marketing person not knowing what they were talking about.

Yeah...well...you know trumpet players. We'll bite on just about anything.

I had a horn with a movable brace between the bell and first slide. It did alter the horn but it was also one of those things where there were so many options on where it could be set that it could drive you crazy on where exactly you might want it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]file:///media/fuse/drivefs-fef2102396b64cdbc3997d7461bd4e5e/root/IMG_7431.jpg

I hope that works, it's a photo of what I'm talking about. The second screw position is further down but it is also on the outside of the slide so I don't think that its sole purpose is to limit how far out the valve gets kicked. Thoughts?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is the "normal" position which stops the slide just beyond normal use i.e for "full" extension to play a C# in tune.. the second stop is far enough out that you can, in combination with the first valve slide, get enough extension to play the low F (needed for a couple of orchestral excerpts). Akin to some of the Artisan Bachs coming with an extra long stop rod.

Additionally, you may notice a difference in "feel" depending upon which place the stop screws is placed. It's subtle, but anytime you add or move even the smallest of weights, things change.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
It changes the resistance. Move the screw from outside to between the tubes and the resistance will increase.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
dschwab wrote:

Years ago (2007?) I bought a gently used Yamaha Chicago C, but it was a little resistant in the blow compared to my years with various Bachs and a Callet C. I contacted Wayne Tanabe in NYC, and he had me send it to him for an adjustment that he said would be reversible. During our conversations, I asked about the placement of the stop screw on the outside of the 3rd slide, and he said that they discovered that there was a noticeable improvement in playability to have it placed to the outside. He also said that anything done to the 3rd slide or 3rd valve seemed to impact a horn more so than other areas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a shift in that little weight can affect the playability of a horn that much why not just hold it different? No way it does anything to affect the horns playability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: