• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongueing past E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacationInTunisia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Tongueing past E Reply with quote

So I recently have extended my range past D, which I talked about wanting to do in a previous post, and can get a consistent f# off the bat, as well as double a by lipping up. I can play clark studies up to around double g, however I have had difficulty with tongueing past high e. For example, i can play the chameleon intro with the shake and all, but the intros to birdland and malaguena aren't happening. I find that it is much harder to tongue due to my tongue position compressing the air so that i can hit those notes in the first place. Thoughts?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tongueing past E Reply with quote

vacationInTunisia wrote:
... it is much harder to tongue due to my tongue position compressing the air so that i can hit those notes in the first place. Thoughts?

-------------------------------
no need to go down the hole of 'compressing the air'!

Your use of tongue manipulation is assisting / forcing / whatever your lips into the position (aperture size, shape, location, tension, jaw, etc.) for the note.
Try to get the 'feel' of how your lips get positioned, and then learn a way to achieve that feeling and still have use of your tongue for articulation.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Adam rapa You just need to learn how to tongue in that range, that means practice. I can double tongue all day in the middle of the register, but then the moment I get below the staff it's a nightmare, because I never practice that. No magic formula here, just practice. Time to go back to the arban again.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modified K tongue! I tried different ways to articulate the upper register above high C and this is what works for me.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tongue is a complex muscle and for trumpet purposes different parts of it do different things.

People do tongue in the higher register so obviously it's possible to do. You can practice progressive exercises, say for example eighth or sixteenth notes on each pitch in a C scale C to high C. Then C#, D, etc.

Play tongued Clarke's exercises above the staff and try to push higher.

Here's Doc doing tongued articulations in the F#/G/A over high C range on "Ode To Billy Joe". He plays the lick then takes it up an octave - the link should take you to 3:27. He also does lots of other snazzy single-tongued licks.

https://youtu.be/eCvvRR0mIIg?si=n_sGlRxn69wlfLUi&t=207
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just practicing more isn't going help if you're not using the proper technique.
Reinforcing improper technique won't give you the result you desire , only frustration. Claude Gordon taught modified K tongue, so did H. L. Clarke . I've been where you are now. When I discovered modified K tongue I was able to not only single tongue G and above but also double tongue in that register.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to modified K tonguing. Everyone's mouth cavity is different so it's not the only way but it's worked for many.

For me, the tongue is doing a lot of work to direct the airstream in the upper register and tonguing with the tip behind the front teeth doesn't work for me past high C-ish. Past high C the front of my tongue is anchored behind the bottom teeth and the middle of the tongue touches the roof of my mouth for the primary articulation point.

Transitioning from lower register to upper register tonguing with this technique did take some practice but became intuitive after a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: