• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Enough, already! ( wardrobe-related content )

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
... I am a tail boomer myself)

Ewwww! Stinky poo's! Ugh.

If only we had a boomer ready to come on and excoriate this poster on his off color posting.
😜
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer? Perspective matters. And, yeah, there was definitely a dress code. Air Force Regulation 35-10

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slightly more serious (love the above picture, by the way)...

actual concert attire, at least for me, has changed a lot over the years. About ten years ago (I don't remember the exact year), a city-sponsored orchestra I play in changed from tuxedos (full penguin suits) for men, and long black dresses for the women, to just 'concert black' which didn't change much at all about how the women dressed, but we got to dump the penguin outfits for black dress pants, black collared shirts and a black tie. It's surprisoingly difficult to find a plain black tie (other than a bow tie) on a rack in a department store, but I managed it, and that was easier, and cooler, especially in outdoor venues, than the tux that's still in the closet in case I ever need it again.

When the audience changes over the years, from 'sunday best' to 'jeans and a t-shirt', I suppose it doesn't make a lot of sense for the performers to take it that much more seriously than the audience does? Whatever...

Then again, just last year, they changed the dress requirements again, to drop the tie, and you can even wear long sleeve shirts or a polo if you want to. They also made it 'gender neutral' in that you can basically wear anything you want, with no mention of gender, as long as it's all black, and has no 'distracting elements' which is somewhat remeniscent of a recent watch thread. People wear watches, but it's not been an issue for us. They did have some wannabe peacocks in the orchetra, that wanted to add a little 'bling bling' to their black costumes at some gigs, hence them doubling down on the 'not distracting' part, but a single 'dress code' for everyone in the orchestra.

Most of us that have been in the same group for a long time have continued wearing the ties, while most of the newer members are like "yay, I can wear a black polo shirt and black jeans" which I have, so far, resisted doing, mostly because I am used to the other. I don't suppose, expecially sitting in the back of the orchestra with the brass that anybody can actaully tell much difference anyway, unless we're getting a bow, or we're seen before or after the gig, outside the hall. /shrug

Now, for 'other' sorts of gigs, church for example, I wear whatever the MD or choir director expects, and even that has been toned down a bit in recent years. USed to be suit and tie, now it's often 'concert black' (with or without the tie) in some cases, and no jacket required, or some church-logo'd polo shirt (they provide them) and either dress pants or in some cases 'nice jeans'.

Party/wedding stuff? Usually varies, from 'fun and colorful' (not quite Doc standard), to dress clothes, depending on who hires the group.

A lot of big bands in this area (I've been a memeber of, or subbed with most of them), vary wildly, and seasonally, as a lot of gigs in Texas in the summer are outdoors, and can be brutal, even if you get lucky and play in the shade, or after sunset. Having to play when it's near or above 100F outside, typically means shorts and t-shirts, or people are going to be trucked off to the nearest hospital. indoors, most big bands run jeans and 'colorful shirt', or, in other cases, matching colored polos, often black.

I guess the point I'm making, is dress codes change, even for 'serious business' like orchestra gigs over time, but it's really all about the music, not about how you look, right? As long as you fit the gig, and the ensemble around you, not much else matters.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two complaints. And they're personal and I wouldn't get mired into defending them.

* wearing tennis shoes with formal attire
* wearing hats on stage if ir's an ensemble

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Two complaints. And they're personal and I wouldn't get mired into defending them.

* wearing tennis shoes with formal attire

Unless they are red high tops and the conductor enters the stage swinging in from the balcony on a rope. 😜
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: tennis shoes

I understand one cannot enter a Cracker Barrel restaurant, unless he/she is wearing white sneakers.
cwmich31

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love dressing nice.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwmich31 wrote:
I love dressing nice.

Makes you "standout from the crowd", doesn't it?
Interestingly, I have noted it seems to garner respect.

It should be noted: overweight people (and they are legion ... something like 60% of Americans) have trouble dressing nice, as there are fewer wardrobe selections.
A dilemma of sorts, 'eh?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: tennis shoes

I understand one cannot enter a Cracker Barrel restaurant, unless he/she is wearing white sneakers.

Thankfully I have neither the sneakers nor the desire to go to a Cracker Barrel.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Thankfully I have neither the sneakers nor the desire to go to a Cracker Barrel.

You mean you don't think chicken & dumplings, and cornbread aren't gourmet fare? Shame. Oh SHAME.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwmich31 wrote:
I love dressing nice.

Makes you "standout from the crowd", doesn't it?
Interestingly, I have noted it seems to garner respect.

It should be noted: overweight people (and they are legion ... something like 60% of Americans) have trouble dressing nice, as there are fewer wardrobe selections.
A dilemma of sorts, 'eh?

I played a matinee holiday pops concert with an orchestra last month. The orchestra's dress code is black tie for men, with optional "holiday accents".

That evening, a band that I used to sit in with sometimes was playing at a brewpub. A jam band, with a heavy Neil Young influence, yet a pretty wide variety. The band and I hadn't seen each other since pre-pandemic, when I was fat and long-haired. I've lost 50 pounds and adopted a #2 haircut since then. And none of them had ever seen me in black tie.

So I walked in wearing black tux, forest green bowtie, red studs and links, red socks, red shoelaces on my best black dress shoes, and a sprig of fresh holly in my lapel's buttonhole.

Needless to say, I was conspicuous. I got immediate service from the bartender, and two drunk women struck up a conversation with me before I took the first sip. Between songs, I dragged myself away from the barflies, walked up to the sax player, shook his hand, and said, "Hi Mike!" He had no clue who I was. I watched him walk over to one of the guitar players and ask if he knew who I was.

Eventually, after much hilarity, they asked me to sit in for the rest of the night. A jam band in jeans, cargo pants, tie-dye, ballcaps, and sneakers. With one weird old white-haired dude, looking cartoonish playing trumpet in a tux. Sometimes, the best time and place for black tie can be when it's totally inappropriate.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
tptLad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I totally agree with the OP. I am a high school sophomore and I constantly am appalled by the fashion choices of my peers. I will admit I a classic men's fashion nerd and often show up to school in a suit, but seriously (girls especially)! Put some clothes on, man!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:

Eventually, after much hilarity, they asked me to sit in for the rest of the night. A jam band in jeans, cargo pants, tie-dye, ballcaps, and sneakers. With one weird old white-haired dude, looking cartoonish playing trumpet in a tux. Sometimes, the best time and place for black tie can be when it's totally inappropriate.

That is a great story... thanks for the details. I could visualize the whole thing!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: