• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Off topic: A good flute book?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Off topic: A good flute book? Reply with quote

Friend of my wife's just retired. A long time ago she played flute and now expresses an interest in picking it up again. I suggested to my wife she buy her friend a book to encourage her. I don't know anything about flute literature. Is there a flute equivalent to Arban's? Etudes, scales, etc. I'm not worried so much about getting exactly THE right book as something that will show some support and encouragement to her.

TIA.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Complete method for the flute" by Soussmann is an excellent Arban-style method book (that is, progressive and comprehensive).

I was a Woodwind minor for my Master Degree at North Texas and studied, and later played professionally flute. I started by myself with the Soussmann and found it stimulating.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the Soussmann, thanks!
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nixer

Great to hear your wife is taking up the flute again. I've been a trumpet player all my life - pro then semi-pro and now just helping out local community orchestras here in the UK. Just over a year ago I was involved in Beethoven 6 and quite bored but the flutes were wonderful and I decided to have a go. 12 months on I have advance to Grade 5/6 and sometimes above, joined two flute groups and got myself a great solid silver Altus (half price via a fiend who was on a trip to Kyoto!).

I still play trumpet but love the flute and it's a great hobby at my advanced age without all the effort of 'keeping my lip in shape'. PS there's lots of free music at all grades on flute tunes.com.

I wish her all the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: