• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using a mute holder with an iPad music stand?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Using a mute holder with an iPad music stand? Reply with quote

My iPad music stand seems rather fragile to use with the Hercules mute holder.

What setup do others use for their iPad stand to hold mutes?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Using a mute holder with an iPad music stand? Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
My iPad music stand seems rather fragile to use with the Hercules mute holder.

What setup do others use for their iPad stand to hold mutes?

I use a regular weighted mic stand for commercial 'stand up' gigs, with a K&M ipad mount that's threaded to go on top of it, then I use either a hercules or k&M mute holder underneath, screwed onto the main stand body, usually below the adjustment ring, just so it doesn't move around if I adjust the height, especially with a drink in one of the rings.

there are a ton of 'ipad stands' out there, varying in price from dirt cheap, to quite ridiculously expensive, so I can't guess which one you have currently. But, a lot of them are all plastic parts, even the areas that SHOULD be metal, and don't hold up for more than a few outings before you need a new one... so I have no idea how your current setup looks or functions. I started out with one that cost $11 bucks on Amazon, and it wasn't worth half that already low price. Lesson learned. Get the good stuff.

But, step one.. get a really stable mount that supports the ipad well, even on a 'bouncy' stage (if somebody is dancing or 'showboating' on a flexible plywood stage in a typical bar venue, you don't want it swaying in the wind like the mast on a sailboat. [I usually have some 'sand bags' in the car, just in case the setup is very tight, or flexible, and the normal stand isn't quite stable enough, but rarely take it out of the car.]

Step two, attach any good mute holder, like the one you already mentioned, to the stable setup once you find it.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Rat stand designed for my 12.9 iPad, with two mute holders, the Hercules with the rings and a shelf below it.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an AirTurn GoStand with a Manos attached to the top for my 12.9 iPad and similar to Rapier232, I often have the Hercules mute holder and a shelf to hold various sundries attached to it. It's been very stable, even in crowded theater pits where people inevitably bump into it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of setups that I regularly use..
One is using a mount that is on a microphone stand (Amazon Basics Adjustable Tablet/iPad Mount Holder for Microphone and Music Stand) - on a good microphone stand this is sturdy and holds a variety of mute racks solidly

Another is like a Lamicall Tablet Floor Tripod Stand - which is much more light-weight but holds my mute racks ok... I'm careful with how much I tighten the clamp as the tripod doesn't seem to be very strong - easy to crimp.

Then I took an old "On Stage" folding music stand and cut the desk to be the size of an iPad 12.9".. very sturdy
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: