• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Backbore for Solo/chamber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Backbore for Solo/chamber Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I usually play a 1.25 24/24 but want a lighter more agile chamber sound with hopefully improved endurance and security for specific use cases.
I have a 1.25 ID rim with a 3c cup that I really like so I’m looking for a classically oriented backbore to pair it with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Pickett #2 backbore, which they call their "symphonic/chamber" backbore, and the #3, which offers just a bit more resistance.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bb or C?
Is a smaller throat size an option?
Do you want the trumpet to "lite up" at a lower volume level?

For Bb the Warburton 7 and 7* might work, but I have not tried them with #24 throats. For me the 7 series is too bright on C trumpet.

Not all #24 backbores are created equal - you might try the Yamaha Hooten or the Frost 7. They have less flair in the lower section.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not the Bach 10 backbore, which would be the stock backbore on a Bach C-cup? Why make it any more complicated than that?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post by Andy Cooper. Bb vs C trumpet is important information for the discussion.

If C, and you MUST use a removable backbore, then try the Parke M backbore. But you could also do 25 or even 26 throat with the same 24 you play now. If Yamaha, you could get away with 25 or 26 and M backbore. I don't have experience with Pickett backbores, but I played with someone the other day who was using one and sounded great.

You could also have a store like Dillon music make a 1.5 with multiple options (or another mouthpiece person).

If Bb, then yeah, consider a stock 1.5C as Jerry suggested.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of specificity guys.

This is for Bb (Yamaha Chicago) and it’s to match a top with a 27 throat.
The top is a cushioned 1.25 with a 3c type cup, Bach does
Not make that so using a Bach 10 would involve getting a Bach
And cutting the backbore. That’s about the price of a new backbore and not really simpler.

Im looking to get a little more efficiency, endurance and make things a bit easier with a more focused, colorful, brilliant sound.

Imagine you had to, for example, play the Haydn and had to use a Bb but wanted to get a Eb like feel. Less heavy, a little more agile, singing sound with
Clean articulations.

Does that make sense?

I had a Greg black #5 that I now regret selling because it gave a similar feel/sound with a laskey 80C top.
Also, I HAD a bach symphony 1.5 24/24 that felt really small, really focused for some reason, almost 3c like but had THE sound Im looking for. Shockingly, not that different from the set up above even though it’s a #24 BB.
(Bigger Laskey with small backbore vs smaller 1.5 with bigger backbore).

So just thinking out loud, I might try a Greg Black #5, #6.
Maybe a small 24 BB with a 27 throat from Parke?
I have no experience with Pickett. Would love to hear more.
I have not had great luck with warburton but maybe I need to
Reconsider.

Any other options?
ronnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Bb or C?

Not all #24 backbores are created equal - you might try the Yamaha Hooten or the Frost 7. They have less flair in the lower section.

As Andy said, Frost has their #7 that’s a 24 style with a bit more efficiency, sounds like that may be what you’re looking for. They also have their #8 in a 10 style (I have not tried it) that may work.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I could give is to use a light weight backbore like a Warburton to improve articulation and brighten the sound a bit. And a tighter backbore would improve efficiency (at the expense of sound quality (particularly down low)).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: