• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pls only respond if you can play this at 120 bpm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Pls only respond if you can play this at 120 bpm Reply with quote

Hello Friends. I'm posting this in Pedagogy because it's ultimately about arriving at a playing goal. Also I'm hoping to avoid a measure of gasbaggery.

What is the typical equipment setup for someone who has to play pieces like this for a living? What typical, common mouthpiece, trumpet bore and bell?

Please only respond if you can play this at 120 bpm.

If you're capable of playing this at speed and still want to lecture about the question itself, go ahead. But I'd really like to hear the typical setup for this kind of work. Thanks so much.

1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rather common in most brass bands. Nothing special if you ask me.
Your question: the typical setup for this kind of work.
What do you mean? Horn and band or?? Not sure I understand your question.

And of course often in a wind band so cornet or trumpet. Depends.
Never thought of bell, mouthpiece.
The character of the tune, the intentions of the director etc etc.

"Grab your horn, don´t forget the style..."
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varies, and depends on how the player responds to various equipment.

I would venture that a Benge 3X or Olds Recording would be appropriate along with something like a Bach 3C.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
I_play_trmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play this on my normal setup. Yamaha 9445 NY-YM C trumpet, Bach 1.5C 24 throat 7 backbore mouthpiece.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_play_trmpt wrote:
I would play this on my normal setup. Yamaha 9445 NY-YM C trumpet, Bach 1.5C 24 throat 7 backbore mouthpiece.

I was about to say that I think it depends on if it's a studio player (which *might* result in a much more varied list of gear) or an orchestral player (still varied, but much more similar). For example, my teacher, an orchestral player, would have played that on a Bach 229A with a stock Bach 1 mouthpiece, but he was VERY old school. Here we see a modern orchestral player still using "orchestral" gear, but more customized to their needs.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do YOU want to sound like? What current or past players have the sound you’re looking for? Figure that out, then choose some equipment that helps you produce that sound.

Some folks will say Bach 37 and a 1-1/2C. Some might say Yamaha 8310Z and a 10-1/2C. Bb trumpet. C trumpet. Or millions of other combinations.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are trying for more clarity in your articulation?

Your trumpet mouthpiece combination probably gives you a sound to die for but does not strike me as an "orchestral" set up . I took the time to listen to the Alfred arrangement- now I'll have to watch the movie again.

First do no harm - well not too much and just try out some mouthpieces

1. Bach 6BM (comes with #24 backbore and #26 throat - stock)
2. Schilke 9 (comes with a larger backbore and #26 throat - stock)
3. Bach 6 C
4. Bach 6 top and Bach 6C with a #24 backbore

(Sadly, the 6B and 6C rims, while of similar size to your 6, have different shapes.)

Oh - almost forgot - Curry makes a 6BC . A 6ish rim with B cup, #24 throat and “Schmidt” backbore. Stock piece under $70.

Maybe that's all it will take.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I played it relatively well yesterday on the Martin step bore and a Bach 2. I'd been intrigued about the 2, and picked up a NOS one very cheap from The Mighty Quinn. I can play Seahawk best when I'm stone cold. Just pick up the horn and play it. No warm up. I haven't played in an ensemble for a while. I need to learn about how much to rest in order to have my chops in the best possible state.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it went well for you!

I'd play this on a Yamaha 9636 Eb; that's my go-to for more security around the top of the staff...

HTH

Ben
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chart was played and recorded about 41 years ago by the 27th Lancers Junior Drum and Bugle Corps on G-F two valve bugles and/or more primitive single valve and rotor combination G-F bugles, and they did a killer job on this particular chart. In fact, it was one of their signature songs.

Those bugles, though I loved playing on similar models in the middle 1980's for other drum corps, were nowhere near the quality of the average pro Bb trumpet available today. The blow characteristics and tuning are just nowhere even close to a current pro trumpet--yet they played it pretty well.

So, I'm going to argue that a decent trumpet player can play this chart on anything, specifically based upon the fact that it was actually done and the recordings are out on YouTube and viewable to this day. (I just saw the 27th Lancers' 1982 show a couple weeks ago. It's the opening song of the 1982 show, so if anybody doesn't like drum corps they can skip the rest). Their tempo was 120 bpm or higher.

Mouthpieces would vary by player but Bach 3C and copies thereof were definitely used by some.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the typical equipment setup for someone who has to play pieces like this for a living? What typical, common mouthpiece, trumpet bore and bell?

It depends on who is playing it. A studio player may have a different set up than, for example, an orchestral player or a brass band player. And even within those groupings the isn't a "standard." People typically perform best on the gear they are most comfortable with. I played through it three times: Bb trumpet, C trumpet, Bb cornet -- different mouthpieces on each. It wasn't easier or harder on any of those horns, as I am comfortable with all three set ups.

I believe this was originally for a film. Imagine Malcolm McNab playing it. Decent chance it would have been on an Eb trumpet. If it was Uan Rasey, it would have been on an Olds Recording or a King Silver Flair. Wayne Bergeron would likely have been on a Yamaha 8335LA I or II (or the Kanstul before that). They'd have played it on the gear they were most comfortable with.

Issues of gear aside, if you are struggling with this, it could be with how you are practicing it. Practice as slowly as it takes to play it cleanly and build up from there. Michael Sachs' "Practice Sequences for the Orchestral Trumpet" and Rob Roy McGregor's "Practical Tools for the Trumpet" and "Audition and Performance Preparation" offer really useful insights into how to break down and master challenging music.

Good luck!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you rather hear Malcolm McNabb play that piece on a dinged up dented student horn that looks like a blacksmith made it, or would you rather hear that piece played by a beginning player on a $7000 custom Trumpet with the most expensive custom mouthpiece ever made?
There’s your answer.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO typical setup. If I was sitting in. Concert band with one of my best mates playing this together (not that we would ever play in a concert band as a rule) then we would be almost indistinguishable from each other.

He plays : Bach 43 with a Toshi 1 sized mpc.
I play : Kanstul 1500A with a Monette Unity 3. Or a Prana Resonance.

Utterly different gear. Blend like the mad xxxxers we are! 😁

If one is not happy with they way it is coming out. Practice!

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: