• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music camps or private lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlee43224

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Music camps or private lessons? Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out the best bang for my bucks. I'm considering going to a jazz music camp or should I spend the money on studying privately with someone. Any opinions?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on your current ability as a player, and on the specific type of instruction that would be done at a camp - and the expected participants at the camp.

People here can be helpful if you tell us about yourself, the camps you are considering, and your access to private teachers.

Have you learned basic 'music theory' - a lot of 'jazz instruction' gets into analyzing the patterns of the music and how & why they 'work' in terms of music theory.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to one jazz camp and told the director after two days I was done. Why?

1. I get about an hour a day on my horn at home. They had us playing 3-4, and my lip was trashed after two days. So if you want to go to jazz camp, ask ahead of time how much time the horn will be on your lips, and prepare accordingly.

2. The camp was all-consuming timewise. I went into it thinking I would have time to do some sightseeing and visiting with friends in the area and essentially the camp was a self-contained thing that had you more or less completely occupied from 9 am to midnight with time off for dinner. I did not want to spend all my time reading sheet music in hotel rooms.

3. I was over my head. Lots of returning folks with lots of time in combos, community bands, etc., and I am an hour-a-day noodler. I was simply not ready for the level of musicianship I encountered.

If you are anything like me, then probably a teacher is a better bet. If you already play a lot and enjoy the communal experience of a camp, then check one out. The Litchfield Jazz Camp near me is top-notch and a lot of former campers have made their mark in the jazz world.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love camps. Tremendous amount of stimulation from peers as well as faculty.

Be aware that the curricula at the camps vary, so study the camp info carefully. I've been to four Berklee workshops, and one each from New School and Manhattan School/Amsterdam Conservatory.

In no case in these, were there endurance demands; usually an hour of improv class, one theory/arranging, one of combo.

There were jam sessions in the evening as well as great hangs with other students.

And. if so inclined and you have the extra loot, you can usually wrangle private lessons from camp faculty.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private lessons should be the #1 priority….but I found camps to be very valuable as well. Go get a part time job and save up to do both
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
Private lessons should be the #1 priority….but I found camps to be very valuable as well. Go get a part time job and save up to do both

+1.

Prioritize private lessons if it is an either/or situation.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get enough bread to pay for individual lessons here and there but workshops/band camps require a clump sum up front

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm considering going to a jazz music camp or should I spend the money on studying privately with someone. Any opinions?

Both? There's not a right answer. Studying privately gives you time to digest and shed what you learn in your lessons, and build on it gradually. But it doesn't put you in a combo/ensemble where you are working with a rhythm section and practically applying what you are learning (though you could, perhaps, do that separately from your lessons).

Camp gets you performing with others, and may also give you one-on-one time with an instructor, but it can be a lot to take in in a short period of time. Also, make sure the camp is appropriate for players of your level of proficiency on the horn and with improvisation.

Perhaps you could alternate: Lessons for a year and then camp the following year?
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both serve different purposes.
Being exposed to great players and seeing how you compare can inspire you to work on deficiencies and the need to correct technique and be exposed to a different musical style like jazz.

Bad technique can only take you so far and having a good private teacher to serve as a coach that corrects and guides you where you wouldn’t otherwise go is vital.

My daughter is an aspiring ballerina and we spend lots of money on the ballet school, pointe shoes, private lessons, choreographers, workshops and summer intensives. When she started at 4 we made sure we investigated the best place to send her and watched how the teachers taught and the results. We soon paid for private lessons. I remember one of her good friends constantly being told to fix her turnout. The girl thought she was ok but the technical issue because more vital later and my daughter got parts that the other girl didn’t have hope of getting. At one point the girl and her mom thought the reason for my daughter getting parts was since we had paid extra money for private lessons outside of class. Soon the girl realized everyone started telling her to fix the issue. You can’t go far with bad technique.

I have watched ballet auditions and one of the interesting parts of the process is how they start with a class of 50 and the leader doing the audition has assistants walking through the others as the leader calls various moves. All of a sudden you see a tap on a couple shoulders and those people are eliminated. After this the lead teacher is left with only people with solid correct technique.

Then, the person leading singles out people and asks for more artistic expression and interpretation and they pick the best from that.

What we do is both a physical activity and art form. To do it properly you have to have knowledge, correct technique, and experiential knowledge to make art. Otherwise, it’s a struggle for the performer and for the audience to enjoy too.

You won’t find one Olympic athlete that doesn’t have a coach they work with regularly because it matters. Here’s an article written by David Bertie that says some relevant things trumpet players often ignore.
https://www.purtle.com/teach-myself-or-take-private-lessons

Be a lifelong learner but have a plan.
Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime

Last edited by Jeff_Purtle on Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
Both serve different purposes.
Being exposed to great players and seeing how you compare can inspire you to work on deficiencies and the need to correct technique

They do serve different purposes, but you're not going to get the most out of a camp if you're not already taking lessons. If you can't afford both, prioritize lessons.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, someone who has been sloppy, or ignoring altogether, their lessons may get just the stimulation they need to take lessons more seriously when they return from camp so, I believe, it's somewhat contextual. But no doubt about it, if it's an either/or situation, lessons trump camp.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: