• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any plans to update the site?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsgleason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Any plans to update the site? Reply with quote

Hi. I've been a long time reader and member here. I love the site. It's the best place on the internet for trumpet stuff.

That said, are there any plans to update the site? The table based layout with a fixed width of 731px is a bit painful, and on mobile it's particularly hard to use.

I absolutely love the content. I know running a site like this is hard. I'd love to see it modernized so it works better on modern devices, and allows for more people to enjoy the content.

I am Linux admin and back end maintainer and developer with an RHCE, albeit expired. I'd love to help.

Take care.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that could maybe be improved is "threaded conversations," i.e., like reddit, where I can respond to one person "on the side" and people could ignore it and continue down the main response line. It would allow the eventual side conversations to continue without bothering people. Even then, whatever.

Otherwise, as far as all the websites that I have been on for 10+ years, this is still my favorite site to visit. Facebook, reddit, and almost every other forum site continually gets worse. Personally, I think it has stood the test of time, and I am a millennial.

But I'm not the web-designer
gsgleason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
The only thing that could maybe be improved is "threaded conversations," i.e., like reddit, where I can respond to one person "on the side" and people could ignore it and continue down the main response line. It would allow the eventual side conversations to continue without bothering people. Even then, whatever.

Otherwise, as far as all the websites that I have been on for 10+ years, this is still my favorite site to visit. Facebook, reddit, and almost every other forum site continually gets worse. Personally, I think it has stood the test of time, and I am a millennial.

But I'm not the web-designer

PhpBB has come a long way since the version this site is running. It no longer uses table-based layouts and works well on mobile devices.

I think that accessibility should be a significant factor here. The accessibility level of the site as it exists today is bad and fails any online checker.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsgleason wrote:
PhpBB has come a long way since the version this site is running.

I know when I am most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is one of those rooms. Thanks for further explaining your thoughts. Curious to see what happens.
gsgleason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
I know when I am most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is one of those rooms.

What do you mean?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsgleason wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:
I know when I am most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is one of those rooms.

What do you mean?

You know more than me.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a sincere disclaimer - I appreciate the site and all the work that goes into maintaining it, which is also a thankless task.

Having said that, and only with positive motives, I think the site is outdated and in due for an overhaul.

Two inconveniences of mine are,
1. that one can't easily and immediately upload photos and graphics to the site 2. to be blunt, the search engine sucks. You're much better off searching for something on the TH site by searching outside TH, using TH as your designated source. Compared to other platforms, absolutely unsatisfactory.

Having said that, my hat's off to the owner and moderates. Tough job.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
gsgleason wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

What do you mean?

You know more than me.

So you meant, "I know when I am not the most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is one of those rooms."

or

"I know when I am the most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is not one of those rooms."

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/trumpet/
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
2. to be blunt, the search engine sucks. You're much better off searching for something on the TH site by searching outside TH, using TH as your designated source.

At the very least, it would be nice if one could elect to limit the search to thread subjects, as opposed to always including all threads where a given search argument appears anywhere in the body of the thread.

Being able to specify "Search for exact string" (meaning a multi-word string concatenated in the exact order entered) as an alternative to "Search for any terms/all terms" would also be nice. (If there's a way to induce this by delimiting a multi-word string with a special character at each end, please let me know!)

I've gotten so used to using Imgur for pictures that the drill for inserting them directly into a post does not seem so burdensome.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
gsgleason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

Reddit's format is good for individual discussions that are intended to atrophy and eventually disappear.

I think a traditional forum, like this, is better suited to the content. Certain topics need to stay around in perpetuity. Reddit is not meant for that.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsgleason wrote:
oxleyk wrote:

Reddit's format is good for individual discussions that are intended to atrophy and eventually disappear.

I think a traditional forum, like this, is better suited to the content. Certain topics need to stay around in perpetuity. Reddit is not meant for that.

Plus some of the reddit posters get obnoxious and that never happens here;-)
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"copyright 1996-2004 trumpetherald.com" at the bottom of every page is a pretty big indication that this site is never modernizing. (This is not a complaint. I accept that it is what it is.)
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the site the way it is. It tends to discourage juveniles.

Trumpet Master had a more modern presentation but I didn't care for it as much, though there were some great posters there.

I used photobucket a lot to host the photos I posted here. I was sad to see it go and lose all those linked items.

-- Joe
ErikA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to use the site's search engine. Just use Google. Type in your search word or search phrase in quotation marks then add site:trumpetherald.com.

For example put this into the Google search box:

"the great Harry James" site:trumpetherald.com

and you'll get the 14 or so hits on the site which use that phrase.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

So you meant, "I know when I am not the most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is one of those rooms."

or

"I know when I am the most knowledgeable one in the room, and this is not one of those rooms."

Oops! Yes! I was so convinced I was saying something nice, that I missed the missing "not." I was going for option b, thanks!
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
I kind of like the site the way it is. It tends to discourage juveniles.

You’ll never stop us!!!!!!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed and learned from TH for more than 20 years and I applaud the founders/moderators for their dedication but would appreciate a better search engine and easier way to post images.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I kind of like the site the way it is. It tends to discourage juveniles."
God forbit we should include young people and fresh ideas.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"I kind of like the site the way it is. It tends to discourage juveniles."
God forbit we should include young people and fresh ideas.

OtherJMitch wrote:
You’ll never stop us!!!!!!

That's the spirit! (Just leave a little room off in a corner of the site for old me and my stale ideas. 🥴)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: