• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gig bag or case to hold both Schilke flugelhorn and cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Gig bag or case to hold both Schilke flugelhorn and cornet Reply with quote

I can’t find any gig bags or cases designed to hold both a flugelhorn and Cornet. I bought the Protec flugelhorn and trumpet case, thinking I could tweak it for the cornet, but it doesn’t fit.

Does anyone know of a bag or case that will fit both of my instruments?

I have a Schilke flugelhorn and Schilke b flat cornet.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Pelican cases with pick-and-pluck foam. You can add a custom cut lining once you decide on the plucked-out shape.
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would I get such a custom cut lining?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What keeps a hand towel stuck behind the Cornet to take up the slack in a Trumpet slot from working?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not that. It’s the diameter of the bell. The lid won’t close.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
Where would I get such a custom cut lining?

https://mycasebuilder.com
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What keeps a hand towel stuck behind the Cornet to take up the slack in a Trumpet slot from working?

My experience with trying to put cornets in trumpet slots in double cases, is that owing to the different wrap, the case needs to be taller for the lid to close with a cornet in one of the slots.

I have a four double cases, an older Yamaha hard double case, a Bach Stradivarius double case, the case that came with my Xeno II, and a John Packer JPro case.

i.e. https://johnpacker.co.uk/products/john-packer-jp851-pro-lightweight-double-trumpet-case

It is hard to explain, but my Xeno II case and JPro case are virtually the exact same size, but the other way round. What I mean, is that if I place each down so that I can open the lid and look at the instruments inside, the distance from the front to the back of the Jpro Case is the same as the height of the Xeno II case, and the distance from the front to the back of the Xeno II case is the same as the height of the JPro case. The result is that the JPro case is taller, and is the only one of my four double cases (admittedly double trumpet, rather than trumpet and flugel cases) that will hold any of my cornets, and my Boosey and Hawkes Imperial is pretty small. None of my cornets will fit in the trumpet slot of my hard Getzen flugel/trumpet case that I use for my Bach 183 flugel. Whatever Getzen flugel this was supplied with, must have the same wrap as the Bach 183. Basically I bought my I beleive 1998 Bach 183 flugel used without a case, and it was shipped in an old blue interior scruffy Bach flugel case, which I used for years until the hinges snapped and it ended up in two halves. It no doubt could be repaired (I can't remember if I still have it), but I bought the Getzen from a retailer who had it lying around for some reason, in new condition.

Basically, the lid will not close with a cornet in the slot.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi Quad would do the trick. Just buy a little extra foam to secure things.

I just tried it with Yamaha Flugel (5 7/8") and a Bb trumpet. Keep the middle partition inserted into one of the slots and remove it from the other. Also keep one of the curved inserts next to the cornet. Should be good to go.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the Opening Poster's post, people generally say on here that a cornet will fit in a Protec double trumpet case. If it does, you would think that a cornet would fit in a Protec flugel/trumpet case, or to put it another way, why would the trumpet slot be less tall in the Protec flugel/trumpet case than the Protec double trumpet case.

I presume that the OP has a Schilke XA1 cornet. This has rather an unusual wrap, with a slightly unusual bell crook shape, but I don't believe that it is either as wide or as tall as my Yamaha Neo cornet.

I can only suggest a double gig bag, as if the Protec trumpet/flugel does not take a cornet, I have no idea of any other hard or semi hard case that will hold a flugel and cornet.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I have no idea of any other hard or semi hard case that will hold a flugel and cornet.

See my post above.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wwbw.com/Gard-Mid-Suspension-Trumpet-Flugelhorn-Gig-Bag-H67645-H67645000002002.wwbw

I have one of these. It holds a flugel and two trumpets or flugel/one trumpet/accessories or flugel/trumpet/cornet or flugel/trumpet/piccolo, etc.

It's deep enough that you could carry a flugel and a tall cornet and have room for mutes and stuff. It also has two side pockets; one zippered and one open so you can carry music or a laptop and other necessities.

It uses the Gard suspension system so the horns are protected from bumps to the sides of the bag. And it's reasonably priced, but very well-made. If you read my review on the wwbw website, you'll see I only gave it three stars, mainly because it was a tight fit at first, but after using it for four years everything fits better and I'm very happy with it. I would honestly add another star to my original review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035prNFLRCY
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces

Last edited by spitvalve on Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I have no idea of any other hard or semi hard case that will hold a flugel and cornet.

See my post above.

Thanks very much, but is this tall enough to hold a cornet upright, or are you thinking of laying it down. Are you saying that a quad case will take a flugel an cornet both laying down?

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Thanks very much, but is this tall enough to hold a cornet upright, or are you thinking of laying it down. Are you saying that a quad case will take a flugel an cornet both laying down?

I tracked down my student Yamaha Cornet. It fits upright; flugel laying down. But you're right, it is a tight squeeze. But without the curved insert (just the center insert), you can lay it down just a little and less of a tight squeeze. I think it's a good solution and with more foam inside, I would feel comfortable with my horns in it.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I tracked down my student Yamaha Cornet. It fits upright; flugel laying down. But you're right, it is a tight squeeze. But without the curved insert (just the center insert), you can lay it down just a little and less of a tight squeeze. I think it's a good solution and with more foam inside, I would feel comfortable with my horns in it.

Thanks very much.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I’m afraid you lost me with your explanation. Which of the cases you mention would work for me? Yes, it’s a Schilke X1A

I am honestly surprised that this seems to be such a challenge. Surely other people want to carry a cornet and flugelhorn together, don’t they?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
Lou, I’m afraid you lost me with your explanation. Which of the cases you mention would work for me? Yes, it’s a Schilke X1A

Hi Janeinpa

I'm really sorry. I was replying specifically to kehaulani, about why a cornet won't fit into most double trumpet cases. I wasn't suggesting a case for your cornet and flugel. I'm really sorry again that I cannot be more helpful.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: would this double case from Thomann work? It's listed as a trumpet case, but the details mention it can also hold (some) flugelhorns, which would mean it's probably tall enough to also fit a cornet. It may not be the most protective case though...

Louise Finch wrote:
I'm really sorry. I was replying specifically to kehaulani, about why a cornet won't fit into most double trumpet cases.

Since you mentioned Protec: I have both a Protec trumpet case and a Protec cornet case. The cornet case is higher (and shorter) than the trumpet case. When I add my Olds Super cornet into it, there's quite a bit of 'headroom' left. However, that's because the Olds Super has the same valve block as Olds trumpets. The valves on an Olds Ambassador cornet are noticeably longer than on the Super, and where the Super would fit in a trumpet case, an Ambassador would not.

So whether the cornet fits in a trumpet case kinda depends on which cornet it is.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stuartissimo"]To the OP: would [url=https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_lightcase_doppelkoffer_trptfl.htm]this double case[/url] from Thomann work? It's listed as a trumpet case, but the details mention it can also hold (some) flugelhorns, which would mean it's probably tall enough to also fit a cornet. It may not be the most protective case though...

It looked good until I saw their note that says it’s not suitable for 'big' flugelhorns, which I think would describe my Schilke.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
It looked good until I saw their note that says it’s not suitable for 'big' flugelhorns, which I think would describe my Schilke.

You're probably right (to be honest, I didn't really know at what size a flugel would be considered 'large' and the small ones could be rotaries given it's a german website), though you could ask them about the inner dimensions to double check.

I'm on a similar quest for a double case for a flugel and cornet (though in my case the cornet's shape is more trumpet like (Olds Super) and the flugel more cornet-like (Buescher 280)). In my search I came across a few more cases/gigbags that might be of interest to you:

MG Leatherwork double trumpet/flugel gigbag

Tom&Will combi gigbag

Marcus Bonna trumpet/flugel case

In these cases/bags both instruments are carried upright, so heightwise if the flugel fits, the cornet should fit as well I think.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I think the Tom and Will would work, but for $259 I don’t want that garish yellow advertisement for the company plastered on the side of the bag! The Marcus Bonna is lovely, but whew…$995!

I didn’t expect this would be so difficult. I’m looking into 'Brass Bags.' I think that might work. https://www.brassbags.co.uk/Store/Premier-Flugel-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-p252472464
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: