• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gig bag or case to hold both Schilke flugelhorn and cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
I think the Tom and Will would work, but for $259 I don’t want that garish yellow advertisement for the company plastered on the side of the bag!

Understandable . Though it seems small enough that you can easily cover it with a cool sticker or something.

Janeinpa wrote:
I didn’t expect this would be so difficult. I’m looking into 'Brass Bags.' I think that might work.

Yeah, the multiple cornet/flugelhorn combinations are probably too much of a niche market. Hopefully that Brass Bag works out for you!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
To the OP: would this double case from Thomann work? It's listed as a trumpet case, but the details mention it can also hold (some) flugelhorns, which would mean it's probably tall enough to also fit a cornet. It may not be the most protective case though...

I honestly don’t think that this will fit a flugel and cornet, maybe a cornet in the flugel slot and trumpet.

Louise Finch wrote:
I'm really sorry. I was replying specifically to kehaulani, about why a cornet won't fit into most double trumpet cases.

Since you mentioned Protec: I have both a Protec trumpet case and a Protec cornet case. The cornet case is higher (and shorter) than the trumpet case. When I add my Olds Super cornet into it, there's quite a bit of 'headroom' left. However, that's because the Olds Super has the same valve block as Olds trumpets. The valves on an Olds Ambassador cornet are noticeably longer than on the Super, and where the Super would fit in a trumpet case, an Ambassador would not.

So whether the cornet fits in a trumpet case kinda depends on which cornet it is.

I fully understand, thanks very much. My Bach 184ML cornet has the same valve block as my Bach 37, but requires a taller case owing to its wrap. It will not fit in any of my double trumpet cases, except for the JPro one, that will hold all cornets, even my Yamaha Xeno and Neo with their very wide/open wraps and tall valve blocks.

Personally, I’m wondering whether my Bach 184ML will fit in a Protec double trumpet case. Are you saying that if it fits in my Protec slimline classic trumpet case with a vertical slot and no mute space, that it will fit in a Protec double pro pac case?

I will try it when I get home

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:27 am; edited 4 times in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
The Marcus Bonna is lovely, but whew…$995!

I didn’t expect this would be so difficult. I’m looking into 'Brass Bags.' I think that might work. https://www.brassbags.co.uk/Store/Premier-Flugel-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-p252472464

I always warn against Marcus Bona.

Brass bags or, maybe you missed my post, the stomvi quad:
https://stomvi-usa.com/product/trumpet-casesstomvi-quad/
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure one of the torpedopags double gig bags would work. Oops, just checked their website, and couldn't find them there at all. It looks like, very recently (as I just bought a new one recently from the old site) they've revamped their main site, and split the Chronkhite designs into a separate doman/website entirely. But, they look like the same products, not sure why the change, maybe somebody here knows.

Anyway, the product I'm thinking of is a bit pricy (but extremely well made), and is what it called the Double Trumpet/Flugelhorn bag. The Triple would also work, if you wanted extra slot for a horn at any point, or just room for internal mute and other gear storage in the extra slot.

I'm currently using one with lots of spare room to spare for a cornet only, and using the other 'side' for mutes and other gear, even an ipad case as well. But, I have a couple different flugels and either of them would fit in there, one a yamaha 631, the other a Kanstul 1525.

It's honestlly overkill and then some for just a cornet, as it's long enough for trumpets, and the cornet wrap is roughly half of that length, and a put a rolled up towel in the other end, but it's quite protective for normal hand carrying. I wouldn't check it in luggage, or trust other passengers not to mash it in the 'race for the last overhead bin' as carry-on. If you don't need to fly with it, you should be safe though.

https://glenncronkhite.com/product/double-trumpet-flugelhorn
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

https://glenncronkhite.com/product/double-trumpet-flugelhorn

Totally forgot about those. Classic flugel+ case. +1.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I honestly don’t think that this will fit a flugel and cornet, maybe a cornet in the flugel slot and trumpet.

Why wouldn’t a cornet fit in the trumpet slot? It’s the same height as the flugel slot, just a little narrower. Cornets aren’t much wider than trumpets, are they?

Louise Finch wrote:
Are you saying that if it fits in my Protec slimline classic trumpet case with a vertical slot and no mute space, that it will fit in a Protec double pro pac case?

Honestly, I don’t know for sure. I suppose you could compare the dimensions listed on the Protec site to make a reasonable guesstimate. Frankly, I prefer to go to a regular store when shopping for cases for that reason (among other things).

EDIT: apparently Protec hasn’t listed dimensions for all their cases. I guess you’d have to ask them about it.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
To the OP: would this double case from Thomann work? It's listed as a trumpet case, but the details mention it can also hold (some) flugelhorns, which would mean it's probably tall enough to also fit a cornet. It may not be the most protective case though...

Louise Finch wrote:
I'm really sorry. I was replying specifically to kehaulani, about why a cornet won't fit into most double trumpet cases.

Since you mentioned Protec: I have both a Protec trumpet case and a Protec cornet case. The cornet case is higher (and shorter) than the trumpet case. When I add my Olds Super cornet into it, there's quite a bit of 'headroom' left. However, that's because the Olds Super has the same valve block as Olds trumpets. The valves on an Olds Ambassador cornet are noticeably longer than on the Super, and where the Super would fit in a trumpet case, an Ambassador would not.

So whether the cornet fits in a trumpet case kinda depends on which cornet it is.

I fully understand, thanks very much. My Bach 184ML cornet has the same valve block as my Bach 37, but requires a taller case owing to its wrap. It will not fit in any of my double trumpet cases, except for the JPro one, that will hold all cornets, even my Yamaha Xeno and Neo with their very wide/open wraps and tall valve blocks.

Personally, I’m wondering whether my Bach 184ML will fit in a Protec double trumpet case. Are you saying that if it fits in my Protec slimline classic trumpet case with a vertical slot and no mute space, that it will fit in a Protec double pro pac case?

I will try it when I get home

Lou

Hi

I tried my Bach 184ML cornet in the trumpet slot, but the bell wouldn't go down. I had a look and there is a fixed block underneath where the bell above the bell flare sits, which is in the way for a cornet with a bell that barely comes past the end of the third slide.

I was going to ask whether a cornet would go in the Propac iPac Double Trumpet Case, but there is a cornet in the front slot in the following photo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protec-iPac-Double-Trumpet-Case/dp/B001BAHFDS

I however cannot see what wrap this cornet has.

Does a Bach 184ML cornet fit in the Propac iPac Double Trumpet Case?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Why wouldn’t a cornet fit in the trumpet slot? It’s the same height as the flugel slot, just a little narrower. Cornets aren’t much wider than trumpets, are they?

Good point about the flugel slot being vertical, so the case should be tall enough for a cornet, even if it is designed for a small flugel or flugel with more of a cornet style wrap. Regarding whether cornets are wider than trumpets, my Yamaha Xeno and Neo definitely are. If you look at the bell crook and leadpipe at the mouthpiece end, it is wider across here than a trumpet. However the OP has a Schilke XA1 cornet rather than a Yamaha.

Another thing to consider, is whether the are any fixed blocks for the trumpet to sit on.

I have the following trumpet case, and the there is a fixed block to support the bell. It is not just a slot like on a modular case.

https://www.protecstyle.com/TRUMPET-SLIMLINE-CLASSIC-PRO-PAC

However as has already been said, I believe by the OP, that the Thomann case probably would only fit a small flugel. I have no idea what a Schilke flugelhorn is like, but quite possibly not small enough for this case.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_lightcase_doppelkoffer_trptfl.htm

Louise Finch wrote:
Are you saying that if it fits in my Protec slimline classic trumpet case with a vertical slot and no mute space, that it will fit in a Protec double pro pac case?

Honestly, I don’t know for sure. I suppose you could compare the dimensions listed on the Protec site to make a reasonable guesstimate. Frankly, I prefer to go to a regular store when shopping for cases for that reason (among other things).

EDIT: apparently Protec hasn’t listed dimensions for all their cases. I guess you’d have to ask them about it.

Thanks very much, a great suggestion, but Protec said that didn't have access to a Bach 184ML, when I asked them about the single cornet case. They could however I imagine give me a height measurement for the case.

Looking at the photo (lid open, more of a side view), it doesn't look as tall as my JPro one that will easily hold a short model cornet.

https://www.protecstyle.com/IPAC-DOUBLE-TRUMPET-PRO-PAC-CASE

https://johnpacker.co.uk/products/john-packer-jp371sw-bb-cornet

I honestly however think that someone on here has a Bach 184ML cornet and this case. Maybe Dale Proctor.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3 horn version of the Pro PAC Case and a Bach 184ML. The case is deep enough to hold the cornet in any of the slots. The case uses movable foam blocks to customize the slots for different horns. It is not deep enough for a fluegelhorn.
Janeinpa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rwwilson"]I have the 3 horn version of the Pro PAC Case and a Bach 184ML. The case is deep enough to hold the cornet in any of the slots. The case uses movable foam blocks to customize the slots for different horns. It is not deep enough for a fluegelhorn.[/quote]

I had expected I would be able to move the blocks around inside the Protec trumpet and flugelhorn case, but they are glued in place.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I have the 3 horn version of the Pro PAC Case and a Bach 184ML. The case is deep enough to hold the cornet in any of the slots. The case uses movable foam blocks to customize the slots for different horns. It is not deep enough for a fluegelhorn.

Thanks very much, this is really appreciated. Does anyone know whether the double Protec Pro-Pac case is the same height as the triple, and therefore also deep enough to hold a Bach 184ML in any of the slots?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeinpa wrote:
Rwwilson wrote:

I had expected I would be able to move the blocks around inside the Protec trumpet and flugelhorn case, but they are glued in place.

Hi

This is probably because the Protec trumpet/flugel case is not an IPAC case. I imagine that IPAC means I pack, and refers to the case being modular with moveable blocks that you can move around to configure the case like you want.

For all those who have the triple IPAC case, I imagine that if you set it up to have a cornet slot at the front, that there is not sufficient space to configure the case for a flugel to lay down at the rear. What about the Protec IPAC quad case, could you configure this to hold a cornet upright in a front slot, and have sufficient space at the rear to configure a flugel laying down? If so, this may be an option for the OP.

Edit.: The dimensions of the Quad case from the Protec website are:
Overall Exterior Dimensions: 22.25 (l) x 17.75 (w) x 9″ (h); 56.51 x 45.08 x 22.86cm
Front Pocket Storage Dimensions: 16 (l) x 14 (w) x 1.5 (h)”; 406.4 x 355.6 x 3.81cm
Interior Storage Dimensions: 21.25 (l) x 16 (w) x 5 (h)”; 53.97 x 40.64 x 12.70cm
Weight: 11.55 lbs; 5.24 kg

The dimensions of the Trumpet and Flugel combination case are:
Interior Dimensions: Flugelhorn: Length - 18"; Width at bell - 7"; Width at valves - 10.5" Trumpet: Length - 19.25"
External Dimensions: 21 x 15.5 x 8’’

Sadly because it is not a configurable case, Protec do not give basic interior storage dimensions fo the trumpet and flugel combination case, so you can only compare the exterior sizes and hope that the walls are of a similar thickness.

Quad IPAC:
Overall Exterior Dimensions: 22.25 (l) x 17.75 (w) x 9″ (h); 56.51 x 45.08 x 22.86cm

Trumpet and flugel combination case:
External Dimensions: 21 x 15.5 x 8’’

On paper it sounds like it will fit, but obviously you would need to try it. Maybe someone on here will know the answer.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayBisk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the Marcus Bona Flugel + Trumpet backpack, and yes expensive. It does work well with both the Trumpet or Cornet with + Flugel, with adjustable hard foam elements position-able for either.

I considered it worth the wait/price as I like to have the weight on my back.

jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: