• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds L12 + new mouthpipe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Olds L12 + new mouthpipe? Reply with quote

I play my L12 a lot, and I find the tuning to be challenging. Anybody out there have a replacement pipe on their L12? Did it change the tone of the instrument? I would rather fight with the intonation than lose the gorgeous tone.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might start here.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1684801

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78425&sid=48b20f5611b2124844030be336a948dc
TJTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have the GR pipe on mine and intonation is greatly improved. Measure the receiver and Charlie Melk can produce or cut one to size for you. Sound stays largely the same, however, it will be a large Morse sized receiver.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJTS wrote:
Sound stays largely the same, however, it will be a large Morse sized receiver.

I have several of these on my Couesnon, Olds, Reynolds, and Noblet flugelhorns. The Reynolds is an L12 clone, and Charlie's standard Olds pipe fits just fine. In all cases, Charlie's pipe improves the playing qualities, including intonation.

The receiver on mine can take both large Morse and small Morse tapers. I started using large Morse shank mouthpieces, but found that I was getting tired pretty quickly. When I told Charlie, he suggested trying small Morse pieces instead. They fit, and it did help things a bit.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1969 Olds L-12 about 5 years ago. It was the back-up flugel of a retiring musician, so the horn wasn't used much and was in great condition. The valve guides are a bit noisy, but otherwise I like the horn.

I think the L-12 has pretty good intonation for a flugelhorn. For me, the trouble spots (other than D and C# below the staff being sharp, and A on the staff being just a hair sharp), is the D near the top of the staff being flat and the E just above it being a hair flat. I use a Yamaha 13F4, which has a medium-sized V cup, and which I think helps keep the D and E in tune.

I'd love to know what intonation issues others have with the L-12, and how the GR/Melk leadpipe specifically helped. Anyone know of a before-and-after video demonstrating this improved intonation? (I've found nothing online.)

Thanks!
Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: