• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet MP - Alliance Wick Curry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freimers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Cornet MP - Alliance Wick Curry Reply with quote

Changed my mind a bit and deleted what I wrote previously.

Right now I'm between a Wick 2BW and a Curry 1.25 VC and waiting to get an Alliance RM1A (Richard Marshall).

I can play smaller rim sizes successfully for a couple of days but then my embouchure is sore and I have to take a day or two off. I can play on the Wick every day.

I love the Curry 1.25 VC, has the larger rim size and my range is better with it but I just had to take a day off after playing it for 4 days. Not sure what that means exactly.

The Alliance is the last mouthpiece I will try, though I've said that before. I ordered the RM1A (Richard Marshall). He is the best brass band cornetist in the world right now so it must be the best! Right?

Still searching.
Getzen 4-Valve Flugelhorn

Last edited by freimers on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concentrating on Wick mouthpieces:
1) Wick 2BW is too tubby and exhausting with no high range. You need a narrower rim.
2) Wick 4 is most comfortable, but tiring: you are OK with the no-letter rim, but need a smaller cup.
3) Wick 4BW is uncomfortable and too bright. Stay away from the W (wide) rim. Stay away from the B cup (too shallow).

Hence: try Wick 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick Heritage 4, 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick Heavytop 4, 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick 1X - it has a different shape of the cup.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Curry's rims are just about the most comfortable out there, along with Monette. Feel/comfort is entirely personal and subjective, of course, but I can see why you landed on them to help deal with / recover from the embouchure overuse you mentioned.

As for Yamaha BBC-style pieces, have you tried to David King model? They aren't easy to find, but they are quite comfortable and sport an inner diameter that I would say is around a 3, maybe on the small side of 3, which would put it roughly around your desired specs. Very deep, verymellow.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
freimers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc - Thank you for your reply.

I thought about the Wick 4.5 and 5, but I sort of made a decision to look for rims in the .660 range. The Wick 4 is already smaller at (.649) and I can feel the difference, the 4B is .646 and I can't play it.

I went to an ITG a couple of years ago looking for trumpet MPs, Peter Pickett and Cliff Blackburn themselves listened to me play while trying mouthpieces and they said I sounded best with the Pickett 3 size rim (.660) so I'm trying to stick with that as it seems to be working. I thought I sounded better on a 2 but I trust their judgement better than mine. Even with my current choice I'm going to try to annoy someone by asking them to listen to me obsess.

I use a Shires (Pickett) 3C on trumpet that I love. The Shires rim shape is a little different than the Picket so it's not just the rim size but also the shape. I'm not an expert obviously.

I was thinking, however, of going the other way from your suggestion and thought of trying a Wick 3 which is 16.75 (.659), but I never hear anything about people playing a Wick 3. It's always Wick 2, 2B, 4, 4B, 4.5 or 5.

What's up with the 3s?

The smallest MP I could play successfully was my Bach 7C with a 119 backbore on that I used for piccolo. So what is the rim size of a Bach 7C? It's up for debate. The Ultimate Mouthpiece Comparison chart says that the measured 7C rim is .650 and the specs are .638. Well if my 7C is "as measured" then it matches up perfectly with the Wick 4.

The 4B, 4.5 are smaller than the 4 which is strange and the 5 is much smaller at .629.

I wonder if I like the 4 better than the 4BW because of the cup size and shape. The choice between depth (deep, medium) and shape (V-Type, Open). It seems that Deep and Open give people the most desirable BB sound so if I tried a 3 I would probably try a straight 3 or 4.5 per your suggestion.

I just couldn't play any smaller cup like a D or E just never worked, I could feel my lip in the bottom of the cup. I always had more endurance with slightly larger. When I was principal in orchestras I always played a 1C or 1.5C. If I was playing lead outdoors I used my Bach 7C with the 119 backbore, it projected real well and I could play all night. Those were the days.

Thanks again.

etc-etc wrote:
Concentrating on Wick mouthpieces:
1) Wick 2BW is too tubby and exhausting with no high range. You need a narrower rim.
2) Wick 4 is most comfortable, but tiring: you are OK with the no-letter rim, but need a smaller cup.
3) Wick 4BW is uncomfortable and too bright. Stay away from the W (wide) rim. Stay away from the B cup (too shallow).

Hence: try Wick 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick Heritage 4, 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick Heavytop 4, 4.5 and 5.

Consider Wick 1X - it has a different shape of the cup.

freimers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
For me, Curry's rims are just about the most comfortable out there, along with Monette. Feel/comfort is entirely personal and subjective, of course, but I can see why you landed on them to help deal with / recover from the embouchure overuse you mentioned.

As for Yamaha BBC-style pieces, have you tried to David King model? They aren't easy to find, but they are quite comfortable and sport an inner diameter that I would say is around a 3, maybe on the small side of 3, which would put it roughly around your desired specs. Very deep, verymellow.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried any Yamahas. The only reviews or posts I could find all seemed to say "I used to play a Yamaha" or that they were very small and the quality wasn't very good. Not sure how accurate that would be since the quality of the Yamaha horns is so good.

Right now I'm waiting for the Shires (Pickett) 3C British piece to show up. I'll update my post with my thoughts on that. I'm surprised that there isn't any chatter about the Pickett British band MPs, they are very good and I know a few people playing them.

https://www.pickettblackburn.com/mouthpieces-cornet-c-107_109/1-piece-british-cornet-mouthpiece-p-682.html

Peter Pickett is very knowledgeable and was very nice to me. I spoke with him and Cliff shortly before Cliff Blackburn retired and sold his business to Peter. They were great.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story seems rather similar to yours. However I began playing cornet in our brass band; went from Cosicups, Salvation Army 1 to Bach 1 1/4 C which I played during almost 30 years (front row). On trumpet in big band the same mpc, lead.
Mid 1990s I (falsely) thought that my lack of development had something to do with the mouthpiece so I saddled the camel and went on a Safari. Schilke 14 seemed OK. But at 71-72 overuse, embouchure crashing.

In the meantime the brass band sound went Wicky (I didn´t say wacky) so darker sound became in demand. I unsuccessfully tried Wicks during some years but they just didn´t work (2, 3 4BW). In the meantimeI began playing lead again in big bands which complicated my playing. How to combine?

My solution was to have Schilke make me a "semi deep" 14 3D3 which I use in the brass band and for all practising. It can get bright but if I really try to play cornetty it goes under the director´s radar. I´ve tried Curry but didn´t like the rim. Good sound though. (Schilke 14B lead)

However - if only brass band then the Wick Ultras would be my choice. 1,5 or 7. Not that I find them superduper - but good enough.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
freimers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your story. I will look into Shilke MPs. However, I played a hard 2.5 hour rehearsal last night and outlasted the young bucks on the Curry. I also pulled out the Wick 4 and compare on a melodic piece and there wasn't much difference, though I can play lower better on the Wick. The Shires(Pickett) 3BB piece should show up today to try out. We're playing a band festival in a couple of weeks so I want to settle on one by tomorrow for now.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about this video with Tom Huchinson playing the Wick standard, heritage and ultra for comparison. I was going to try a heritage based on a comment I saw until I saw the price. A couple of comments said the ultra was sharp, I thought it was just brighter. What do you like about the ultra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1GrLfRH2HQ

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
My story seems rather similar to yours. However I began playing cornet in our brass band; went from Cosicups, Salvation Army 1 to Bach 1 1/4 C which I played during almost 30 years (front row). On trumpet in big band the same mpc, lead.
Mid 1990s I (falsely) thought that my lack of development had something to do with the mouthpiece so I saddled the camel and went on a Safari. Schilke 14 seemed OK. But at 71-72 overuse, embouchure crashing.

In the meantime the brass band sound went Wicky (I didn´t say wacky) so darker sound became in demand. I unsuccessfully tried Wicks during some years but they just didn´t work (2, 3 4BW). In the meantimeI began playing lead again in big bands which complicated my playing. How to combine?

My solution was to have Schilke make me a "semi deep" 14 3D3 which I use in the brass band and for all practising. It can get bright but if I really try to play cornetty it goes under the director´s radar. I´ve tried Curry but didn´t like the rim. Good sound though. (Schilke 14B lead)

However - if only brass band then the Wick Ultras would be my choice. 1,5 or 7. Not that I find them superduper - but good enough.

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freimers wrote:
etc-etc - Thank you for your reply.

I thought about the Wick 4.5 and 5, but I sort of made a decision to look for rims in the .660 range. The Wick 4 is already smaller at (.649) and I can feel the difference, the 4B is .646 and I can't play it.

I went to an ITG a couple of years ago looking for trumpet MPs, Peter Pickett and Cliff Blackburn themselves listened to me play while trying mouthpieces and they said I sounded best with the Pickett 3 size rim (.660) so I'm trying to stick with that as it seems to be working. I thought I sounded better on a 2 but I trust their judgement better than mine. Even with my current choice I'm going to try to annoy someone by asking them to listen to me obsess.

I use a Shires (Pickett) 3C on trumpet that I love. The Shires rim shape is a little different than the Picket so it's not just the rim size but also the shape. I'm not an expert obviously.

I was thinking, however, of going the other way from your suggestion and thought of trying a Wick 3 which is 16.75 (.659), but I never hear anything about people playing a Wick 3. It's always Wick 2, 2B, 4, 4B, 4.5 or 5.

What's up with the 3s?

The smallest MP I could play successfully was my Bach 7C with a 119 backbore on that I used for piccolo. So what is the rim size of a Bach 7C? It's up for debate. The Ultimate Mouthpiece Comparison chart says that the measured 7C rim is .650 and the specs are .638. Well if my 7C is "as measured" then it matches up perfectly with the Wick 4.

The 4B, 4.5 are smaller than the 4 which is strange and the 5 is much smaller at .629.

I wonder if I like the 4 better than the 4BW because of the cup size and shape. The choice between depth (deep, medium) and shape (V-Type, Open). It seems that Deep and Open give people the most desirable BB sound so if I tried a 3 I would probably try a straight 3 or 4.5 per your suggestion.

I just couldn't play any smaller cup like a D or E just never worked, I could feel my lip in the bottom of the cup. I always had more endurance with slightly larger. When I was principal in orchestras I always played a 1C or 1.5C. If I was playing lead outdoors I used my Bach 7C with the 119 backbore, it projected real well and I could play all night. Those were the days.

Thanks again.

Very welcome!

Given your experience with Bach 1C and 1.5C, Wick 3/3B may be interesting to try. I found Wick Heritage 3 and Heritage 3B to be a nice compromise between Heritage 4 (too narrow) and standard Wick 2 (too wide). Between Heritage 3 and Heritage 3B, the 3B is easier to play above staff and gives stronger upper partials. Both are very nimble.

I have not tried standard nor heavytop Wick 3 or 3B.
freimers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet MP - Wick Curry Shires(Pickett) Warburton Reply with quote

Thanks to those who shared their experiences along this thread.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)

I like the Shires B3 British Style Cornet Mouthpiece better than the other mouthpieces I've tried, even the Curry that I had success. I'll use the standard Shires 3C MP for anything that is high and a trumpet sound is OK. The Shires are made by Pickett. As mentioned below, it is a custom design by Shires, not the standard Pickett cornet MP. I'm going to try to find out what the difference is from Shires. Maybe the gap or something else is customized for Shires cornets.

Second place is the Wick 4. I can make the Shires sound like the Wick 4 but it's naturally a little bit clearer of a sound though still dark. The Wick always has that kind of smoky sound to it and is harder to play high.

Disappointingly, the sound of the Curry 5BBC, which I thought was the winner yesterday, doesn't match up with the Shires. The Shires is very comfortable and it is much easier to play in the high range than the Wick 4, just like the Curry. But, the Shires is much more responsive in the low range as well with a better sound.

The mouthpiece is stamped as a B3 but I ordered it as a 3C from Woodwind and Brass for $85. Link is below.

Pickett has their own line of British style cornet mouthpieces that I know a bunch of people are playing on. I haven't tried them personally, they list for $150.

As listed below I compared the following:

Bach 1.5C
Curry 5BBC
Shires (Pickett) 3C Standard
Shires (Pickett) B3 British Style
Wick 2BW
Wick 4
Wick 4BW

Shires B3 (3C) MP Description

Silver-plated cornet mouthpiece with V-cup design.

S.E. Shires British Style Cornet Mouthpieces were developed and produced in cooperation with Peter Pickett of Pickett Brass. These models feature a general V-cup design and a short, balanced backbore. Utilizing the most popular sizes of British style short-shank cornet mouthpieces, these models feature the warm sound, excellent response and great intonation consistent with classic cornet mouthpieces. All mouthpieces come standard in silver plated finish.

https://www.wwbw.com/SE-SHIRES-British-Style-Custom-Series-Cornet-Mouthpiece-in-Silver-L86544.wwbw

freimers wrote:
I'm a trumpet turned cornet player who's been looking for the best cornet MP to play in a British style brass band. I am older now (71) and recovering from embouchure overuse and have been helped greatly by Lucinda Lewis at https://www.embouchures.com/, but that's off topic.

So, I have a Shires CN7A Cornet which I really like. https://www.seshires.com/cn7a I have Shires Bb and C trumpets as well. I sold my piccolo and Eb Cornet to save my lip.

My Shires Cornet came with a Shires 3C Cornet MP that are
made for Shires by Pickett. I contacted Pickett and they told me that the rim profile of the Shires is slightly different than their standard cornet MPs. I don't know what else is different. I am waiting for delivery of a Shires British style cornet mouthpiece that I purchased from Woodwind and Brass (much less expensive than buying Pickett direct).

I like the Shires 3C MP a lot, no need to look for anything else normally, but it is a bit trumpety and doesn't pretend to have a British Band sound.

I have spent a lot of money looking for a British Band sounding MP that also helps an old guy with endurance. I played Bach 1C MPs for years in bands/orchestras but not any more. Now .660 (17.26) rims seem to work best for me. I'm looking to play acceptably when in my 80s not compete with the young guns.

I've read the threads comparing Curry 3BBC with the Yamaha MPs. Nothing there made me want to try a Yamaha, but I bought a Curry 5BBC(.660) which, so far, is my current MP of choice. We'll see if the Shires BBC MP can beat it. I know that the Pickett 3C British piece is the MP of choice for Bryan Appleby-Wineberg. I'm wondering whether the Shires BBC will match better gap-wize, etc., with the Shires cornet. I'm impressed with the Shires designers and workmanship, so we'll see. I will compare that to the Curry 5BBC later.

So. I have compared the following:

Denis Wick 2BW, 4, 4BW
Warburton 2MBC, 4MBC tops with 7 British backbore and an 8 standard backbore.
Bach 1.5 C
Shires(Pickett) 3C
Curry 5BBC

The Curry 5BBC wins the competition followed by the Wick 4 and the Warburton 4. I think my younger self would pick the Wick 4 or even play a Wick 2 or 3, but not now.

So, I'm playing with the front row solos and my plan is to primarily play the Curry 5BBC and keep the Wick 4 in my pocket for more melodic pieces.

The Curry 5BBC sounds real close to the Wick 4 in normal playing but you can make the Wick 4 sound darker and match with someone playing on a Wick 2B when needed. At the same time, it's as easy to play high on as the Shires 3C with a darker sound. It's brighter than the Wick 4, not a lot, but who's going to notice unless your in a competition against Black Dyke?

The Wick 4 is the most comfortable all around Wick MP for me personally. I thought the rim would would feel small at 16.50(.649) I have played on it in rehearsal and it's even good for me up high for the first hour of rehearsal but then I get tired on it. I'm sure this wouldn't have happened 40 years ago.

The Wick 2BW and Warburton 2MBC are too tubby and exhausting with no high range for me. At the same time the rims feel like the Back 1C and 1.5C rims that I played on for 40 years. I can close my eyes and play well on them for about 15 minutes until reality sinks in.

I thought the Wick 4BW was going to win. I thought the wider rim would be more comfortable and that the V-Type backbore, medium deep cup and smaller rim 16.40(.646) would help with range. Neither was true for me. The rim seems sharp and caused pain. High range was a struggle and it got very bright above middle C.

I played the Warburton 4MBC with the 7 British backbore for a couple of years. It's a good MP but has a slightly airy quality to the sound and it's a struggle to darken up but, overall, it's a really good MP but it doesn't sound like a Wick. It's helps with high range but I think the Curry 5BBC is better at that. Warburton's pricing makes it an also ran, not worth the cost.

For pure endurance the Shires 3C sounds great and is easy blowing up high. You can get a darker sound of it but it's a lot of work. It doesn't respond very well for me below low C but that's also a personal weakness.

The Back 1.5C was actually in the mix for a while. It has a darker sound than the Shires 3C, not dark enough, but I couldn't get a clear tone with it.

It will be interesting to see if the Shires 3C British piece works better for me than the Curry 5BBC. It has its work cut out for it. Also note, the Shires MP is almost half the price of a Pickett.

Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you seem to be testing both very deep cornet mouthpieces along with some C cup depths, I'll mention an intermediate depth mouthpiece that is my favorite and go-to cornet mp: a Monette B1-1. Got it used from someone here at the TH marketplace. An older Monette model, not a Prana or any of that. It's roughly like a Bach 1B, maybe a bit deeper, with an ultra comfortable rim and sound to die for. Not a British Brass Band sound, more a 'Gerard Schwarz plays the Arban showpieces" lush American cornet timbre.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
freimers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I only know of the heavy Monette MPs. I'll look into it.

As you seem to be testing both very deep cornet mouthpieces along with some C cup depths, I'll mention an intermediate depth mouthpiece that is my favorite and go-to cornet mp: a Monette B1-1. Got it used from someone here at the TH marketplace. An older Monette model, not a Prana or any of that. It's roughly like a Bach 1B, maybe a bit deeper, with an ultra comfortable rim and sound to die for. Not a British Brass Band sound, more a 'Gerard Schwarz plays the Arban showpieces" lush American cornet timbre.

Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freimers wrote:
Thanks. I only know of the heavy Monette MPs. I'll look into it.

It's in their classic STC-1 blank, the mass of which is great in some applications (cornet, flugelhorn) and terrible in others (piccolo). On the whole I would say the Monette B1-1 weighs slightly less than the Bach 1.5B Megatone cornet mouthpiece I was using prior to it.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally play a Curry 3C on trumpet. On cornet in brass band, I played a Curry 3BBC when the range was demanding, and a Wick 4 on the back row. I find the Curry 3 rims to be very comfortable, and the Wick 4 rim is ok unless I have to play above the staff on it a lot. Much better endurance on the Curry, a more mellow sound on the Wick - the old tone vs. endurance conundrum…
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Tom Hutchinson comparing Wick and tried to rate them with respect to some variables;
muffled - open Richness (spectrum) Clear Bright

Classic Very Narrow Diffuse Dark

Heritage Less muffled Richer less diffuse less dark

Ultra Least muffled Richest Rather clear Not that dark

Personal ratings - maybe only applying to me. Also I got the impression that he raised the pitch some Hz while playing the Ultra.

Then, of course, his sound is brilliant, dolce, singing, minimum of effort.

My favourite sound here is produced by the Ultra (but then I miss the old UK brass band sound, pre-Wicks)
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
nonchalant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update regarding the Alliance RM? I'm looking for a new cornet mouthpiece and review I heard about Alliance makes me want to try them.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my old 921 Globe Stamp Sov, I started like everyone else with a Wick 4B. Good tone. But the throat is a little large for me so I was losing range and stamina.

I bought a Curry BBC. Great tone, but the intonation was a little off. I measured the tip of the shank. The Wick is .005" larger than the Curry. So I had Mark make me a pair of mouthpieces, a 3BBC and a 3TC, all to his stock spec other than making the shank the .005 larger diameter.

Ahhhhhh. I like these two mouthpieces: the BBC and all its mellow goodness for the back row, and the TC with a little more presence for the front row.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: