• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

VID A.McCabe USMarineB North Star WATCH IMMEDIATELY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: VID A.McCabe USMarineB North Star WATCH IMMEDIATELY Reply with quote

It may be taken down after 24 hours Around 2pm ET on Monday...but not positive about that.

Anthony Barfield (b. 1983) North Star (2016)

MSgt Amy McCabe, trumpet soloist
GySgt Russell Sharp, trombone soloist
US Marine Band

HERE: at 22m30s

Link
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

Those who have never been a part of something like that may or may not realize what an incredible experience it is to be on that stage. I hope those there will not wait until they are long past the years of that opportunity to fully appreciate how amazing it is to play at that level with others of that caliber.

I pose this issue because at 51:20 it feels like they are playing on auto-pilot. I get it. Marines play the march of the corps a LOT. It is easy to forget what an awesome priviledge it is to play that piece in that uniform.

But every musician needs to remember that performing is not just about them - although in this case I again will say I hope they come to appreciate how amazing and rare what they are enjoying is - it is also about the audience. It is easy through the monotony of repetition, and the cynicism of being a concert band musician in a world where fewer and fewer know what that even means, but there will often be in the audience someone for whom the thrill of hearing Semper Fi played by the Marine Band is a once in a lifetime experience. I hope every military musician will remind themselves of that detail.

I hope this does not vanish in a few minutes. It was a solid performance by incredible musicians. One day they will want to look back on it and maybe then fully appreciate just what they experienced. For the audience, that experience may be far more near-term, but no less meaningful.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Wow

Those who have never been a part of something like that may or may not realize what an incredible experience it is to be on that stage. I hope those there will not wait until they are long past the years of that opportunity to fully appreciate how amazing it is to play at that level with others of that caliber.

I pose this issue because at 51:20 it feels like they are playing on auto-pilot. I get it. Marines play the march of the corps a LOT. It is easy to forget what an awesome priviledge it is to play that piece in that uniform.

But every musician needs to remember that performing is not just about them - although in this case I again will say I hope they come to appreciate how amazing and rare what they are enjoying is - it is also about the audience. It is easy through the monotony of repetition, and the cynicism of being a concert band musician in a world where fewer and fewer know what that even means, but there will often be in the audience someone for whom the thrill of hearing Semper Fi played by the Marine Band is a once in a lifetime experience. I hope every military musician will remind themselves of that detail.

I hope this does not vanish in a few minutes. It was a solid performance by incredible musicians. One day they will want to look back on it and maybe then fully appreciate just what they experienced. For the audience, that experience may be far more near-term, but no less meaningful.

Ron, can you find ANYTHING positive to say about any topic on TH? I'm almost speechless reading what you posted. The arrogance alone......

That said, what a FANTASTIC performance by Amy McCabe and Russell Sharp on "North Star". Amy is one of the great trumpet players of our time. Such a treat to hear her level of musicality and musicianship.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glass houses Eric

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
glass houses Eric

I think the point that Eric is making is that you could have easily given your monologue without accusing the President's Own Marine Band musicians of going on "autopilot" and essentially saying that they are not giving enough care to and reverence to Semper Fi. It's a wild and baseless accusation.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy's a great player and a very nice person. The President's Own Marine Band is - in my opinion - THE band. I've been fortunate to lead a mouthpiece clinic/demo session and attend retirement ceremonies at the Marine Barracks. Everything that this group is top notch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: