• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Typical insertion amount for a Bach Strad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Typical insertion amount for a Bach Strad Reply with quote

Hi

As part of my decisions regarding my Bach 37, I've gone back to my James R New 6 sleeve, as I didn't feel that the 6.5 sleeve was working well. The James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm in my Bach 37, the same as the 2005 Bach 3C (that I had scanned, and all my custom 3C tops are made from this scan) that I play tested this trumpet with in around 2008/2009.

I know that mouthpiece exit wall thickness comes into the full gap equation, but insertion amount will do for now.

I cannot measure my actual gap on this trumpet, as the leadpipe ledge appears to have been bevelled or filed flat. I've had a good look down the receiver and there is no ledge that you can measure rest a pencil point or sharp end of a dental harp on.

I haven't got many trumpet mouthpieces, a Yamaha 16C4 that inserts around 25mm in this trumpet, as does my 1994 Bach 7C and a James R New 6.5 sleeve. I have two Bach 3Cs (the one I mention above and another with the same lettering style), which both insert around 24mm like a James R New 6 sleeve.

I'm simply wondering what insertion amount others are using on a Bach Strad trumpet. I know that it is personal and all that (and I suppose could vary from Bach trumpet to Bach trumpet), but I would still like to know what other people are using.

I'd be particularly interested in how far other people's Bach mouthpieces insert, how far Curry mouthpiece insert, and how far Reeves 5 and 5.5 sleeves insert (I know that they are supposed to be the same, but I'm finding a James R New 6 sleeve rather than 5 or 5.5 to insert like my Bach 3C).

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello here are could things to think about:

When a receiver is made, if the diameter is cut one thousandth of an inch bigger or smaller, then the insertion will be changed by twenty thousandths. .001 of an inch is pretty picky. It’s likely to be be off by maybe .001 either way. On a Bach the leadpipe slides in to butt against a ledge in the receiver so it can’t be adjusted by unsoldering and moving it. That would make for a huge diameter change where the gap is. Not good. The ledge could be incorrectly located in the receiver but it’s much easier to get that correct. So the typical range could vary by .020 (which is a quarter size reeves sleeve numbers) and not that uncommon to vary by .050.

In addition to there being variation of the receiver diameter, there is of course variation in shank diameter. Lately I’ve been experimenting with making snacks that have “zero gap” meaning they touch the leadpipe. Even slight temperature change can make the shank loose. I actually like true zero gap a lot but it’s really problematic because it is so picky. I made shanks that were perfectly zero gap but when they came back from plating they were as much as .020 less in insertion. That would mean they were plated .001 of silver. Or at least at the end of the shank they were. In doing some more shanks like this and keeping track of insertion depth, it shows that silver plating can change it as liittle as .008 to as much as .020. So that is another place for variation.

The amount of leeway that “works” with gap is generally thought to be about .020 on either side of “optimal” which would cover most situations. But if you get on the edge of that you can start having weird results.

If you are like a 6.5 sleeve GENERALLY that means that in a Bach you getting a pretty small gap like .050 or less. Keep in mind your specific horn might be making a .125 gap with that sleeve (not likely but possible). A Yamaha with a 6.5 would be really close to the bottom. A number 7 might even hit bottom. In my 8310 a 7 is zero gap. at least THIS particular sleeve.

My guess is that if you are liking the 6.5 sleeve, that means that you are lining some aspect of small gap. But small gap has some artifact in the way works that makes things go awry at weird times. Usually during rehearsal or performance and not as much during practice. Small gap can really get nice resonance the notes can seem to lock in real good, except when they don’t. It’s less forgiving even though it can feel better. That is why i started experimenting with zero gap. Of course threaded shanks that thread in the leadpipe have been around and they work really good. Monette and Adams offer that. It makes it hard to switch around mouthpieces though because there has to a LOT of threads to make enough contact. Going to zero gap makes the resonance and sound and things much better, and the accuracy and security Come back when you get to under about .008 gap.

So you could be in a situation where it might be better to go to less insertion and a bigger gap (“normal .125 gap. To get your bearings. The feel of your sound might not be as resonant temporarily, but other things might be better….. but there is another big thing going on.

If your leadpipe is beveled that changes a LOT. The whole gap situation is different. On a Bach a beveled pipe is unusual. The pipe is flared out in about the last .050 or so to make the end of the pipe the same size as the diameter about 3/4 inches from the end, so that it doesn’t wobble in the straight sided hollowing of the back of the receiver. That flare i would not call a bevel. It is a Bevel but you should be able to feel a very definite ledge. If not it could be filled with a fillet of solder. I have seen a few beveled Bach, and the were number 7 pipes. That may correct for the number 7. I’ve also seeen pipes where one side is drastically different that the other. Off center by a lot. I’ve also seen pipes that were beveled afterwards with a tapered reamer. And that that works pretty good. I’ve done that for several people who heard about it and wanted to try it. It makes the horn more open and since the entrance wall thickness is so small it makes the gap situation not predictable. If yours is really beveled like with a modification. (Or maybe a number 7) that would mean that you can have a smaller gap than textbook. If you bevel the exit wall of you mouthpiece its even more different. Possible good. Several makers make their shanks that way. LOUD, some Schike etc. So you might try a beveled shank of one of your “experimentable” backbones.

The thing i would do however is to get to bottom of the beveled pipe situation. If ledge is masked by a circular puddle of solder, you can have that scraped out so you have a nice square edge there. In the conn patent where they basically patent the gap, the drawings show that the leadpipe has to be a clean and square ledge.

Sorry so long, but its raining here at Starbucks and I’m avoiding going out there:)
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much lipshurt, this is so really appreciated.

I’m about to start a rehearsal in 12 mins, so just a quick reply from my phone.

I’ve used the 6.5 sleeve successfully on my Yamaha Xeno II for 8 years. I also use a 6.5 sleeve on my Kanstul F Besson Classic C, Yamaha D and D/Eb and Boosey and Hawkes Oxford spare Bb.

There is no solder ring. Leigh at Eclipse replaced the leadpipe. I have no idea what it is. There is no rim of solder. It just looks like the ledge has been reamed off. My James R New backbores are bevelled on the end, as Jim New appears to do this. I therefore appear to have a bevelled backbore, maybe smaller than average gap, bearing in mind that these are James R New sleeves, and a 6 sleeve inserts like both my Bach 3Cs, and a leadpipe with no ledge.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply in bars rest.

Took both trumpets to symphony orchestra rehearsal. 1st trumpet so fair number of high B and high C entries following multiple bars rest. Therefore like a trumpet for symphony orchestra playing that has more secure slotting than I’d choose for jazz. James R New 6 sleeve plays well with sufficient resistance. Little more open blow than Yamaha Xeno II with James R New 6.5 sleeve, but not too open. I had no problem with accurate entries and slotting on the Bach 37, but Yamaha Xeno II better in this regard. Chose this trumpet originally for the old time dance band playing I was doing at the time. 1st trumpet but waltzes, fox trots, quick steps and latin rather than full on big band lead. Play tested Leigh’s selection of used Bachs on this type of repertoire, not classical.

Will keep Bach 37 for jazz band or spare. Xeno II good orchestral trumpet for me.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lent trumpet to orchestral colleague for second half. He played it with his mouthpiece. I said nothing. His opinion was that it plays well and he likes it, but feels more free blowing than his Xeno I and has less secure slotting. It was good to get a confirmation of my views.

I feel that my Xeno II is the better orchestral trumpet and I’m in all honesty very fond of it, so I’m going to stick with it. I think that my Bach 37 will stay as my spare.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm, like my two Bach 3Cs (one I new in 2005 and used one I bought at a later date with same lettering style).

James R New 6.5 inserts 25mm like a Yamaha mouthpiece.

I wonder whether James R New sleeves insert differently to Reeves sleeves.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these don't really matter since you have such a strange venturi:

Rough measurements in a Bach Receiver.
Bach 1.5C: 22.5mm
Breslmair G2: 22mm
Custom Schilke: 22.5mm
Stomvi (basically Reeves) #5 sleeve: 22.5mm
GR: 22.3mm
Parke Backbore 1: 23.75mm
Parke Backbore 2: 23mm
Parke Backbore 3: 24mm
Parke Backbore 4: 23mm
Yamaha 17b4: 22.75mm

Measurements on very new Bach Receiver:
Bach 1.5C: 22.5
Breslmair G2: 22.5mm
Custom Schilke: 23mm
Stomvi #5 Sleeve: 23.5mm
GR: 23.75mm
Parke Backbore 1: 24mm
Parke Backbore 2: 24mm
Parke Backbore 4: 23.5mm
Yamaha: 24mm

Measurements on Gen ii Yamaha:
Bach: 23.5mm
Breslmair: 23.5mm
Custom Schilke: 24mm
Stomvi #5: 24.75mm
Gr: 24.75mm
Parke 1: 25mm
Parke 2: 25mm
Yamaha: 25mm

Gen I Yamaha:
Sleeve #5: 24mm

I sold my #5.5 sleeve as I don't play with sleeves anymore (don't really like sleeves).

Last edited by abontrumpet on Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Thanks very much, but I'm really surprised at these. I'll have to measure on my Yamaha, but from memory mouthpieces insert similarly on both my Bach 37 and Yamaha Xeno II, and my 2005 Bach 3C (+ other 3C with the same lettering) insert 24mm and my 1994 Bach 7C and Yamaha mouthpieces insert 25mm. I was honestly expecting your Bach mouthpiece to insert 24mm and Yamaha mouthpiece 25mm.

Could somebody else help here please.

Could players of Bach Strad's and Yamaha trumpets let me know how far Bach and Yamaha mouthpieces insert in their trumpets.

Many thanks.

I sold my #5.5 sleeve as I don't play with sleeves anymore (don't really enjoy them).

Fair enough.

Many thanks again

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my measurements to include yamaha too.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
A Yamaha with a 6.5 would be really close to the bottom. A number 7 might even hit bottom. In my 8310 a 7 is zero gap. at least THIS particular sleeve.

Hi Doug

I've just checked. My James R New 6.5 sleeves insert 25mm in the receiver of my Xeno II, and identical to a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
I've updated my measurements to include yamaha too.
\

Thanks very much. I'll take a look.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
... On a Bach the leadpipe slides in to butt against a ledge in the receiver so it can’t be adjusted by unsoldering and moving it.
On a Bach a beveled pipe is unusual. The pipe is flared out in about the last .050 or so to make the end of the pipe the same size as the diameter about 3/4 inches from the end, so that it doesn’t wobble in the straight sided hollowing of the back of the receiver. That flare i would not call a bevel. It is a Bevel but you should be able to feel a very definite ledge. If not it could be filled with a fillet of solder. ...

------------------------------------------------------
Question about the 'ledge' on the interior of the receiver that the leadpipe contacts - how does the ID of the ledge compare to the ID of the 'flared' end of the leadpipe? Should some part of the leadpipe wall thickness NOT be covered by the ledge?

This is related to an earlier post from me about similar questions -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1696444#1696444
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Hi abontrumpet

Thanks very much, these are really appreciated.

What model and year please is this Bach?

Measurements on very new Bach Receiver:
Bach 1.5C: 22.5
Breslmair G2: 22.5mm
Custom Schilke: 23mm
Stomvi #5 Sleeve: 23.5mm
GR: 23.75mm
Parke Backbore 1: 24mm
Parke Backbore 2: 24mm
Parke Backbore 4: 23.5mm
Yamaha: 24mm

Presumably a taper issue, but I can't quite get my head round why your Bach mouthpiece insert 22.5mm in both Bach receivers, but the same Yamaha mouthpiece inserts 22.75mm in your older Bach and 24mm in your newer Bach. 22.75mm compared to 24mm is obviously a fairly substational amount of difference, compared to Bach mouthpieces inserting identically.

Measurements on Gen ii Yamaha:
Breslmair: 23.5mm
Custom Schilke: 24mm
Stomvi #5: 24.75mm
Gr: 24.75mm
Parke 1: 25mm
Parke 2: 25mm

I'm finding 24mm for my Bach mouthpiece compared to your 23.5mm, but the same 25mm for a Yamaha mouthpiece.

Gen I Yamaha:
Sleeve #5: 24mm

It is interesting that you are finding that a 5 sleeve inserts 24 mm in your Yamaha. A James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm in mine and a James R New 6.5 sleeve 25mm. Maybe James R New sleeves insert less far pro rata than Reeves sleeves.

Lou

I sold my #5.5 sleeve as I don't play with sleeves anymore (don't really like sleeves).

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the question now is how far do mouthpieces insert in other people's Bach receivers.

Since Bach shank dimensions are all over the place probably, and Yamaha more consistent, I think that it may be more useful to compare how far a Yamaha mouthpiece inserts in a Bach, for those who have a Bach trumpet and access to a Yamaha mouthpiece.

A Yamaha mouthpiece inserts 25mm in both my Bach 37 and Yamaha Xeno II. Maybe I have an unsual mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe, maybe an unusual mouthpiece receiver is the reason for the unusual top to the leadpipe.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

1. What model and year please is this Bach?

2. I'm finding 24mm for my Bach mouthpiece compared to your 23.5mm, but the same 25mm for a Yamaha mouthpiece.

3. I'm finding 24mm for my Bach mouthpiece compared to your 23.5mm, but the same 25mm for a Yamaha mouthpiece.

4. It is interesting that you are finding that a 5 sleeve inserts 24 mm in your Yamaha. A 6 sleeve inserts 24mm in mine and a 6.5 sleeve 25mm.

25 pipe (model 37): 707xxx
25 pipe (just pipe): if it were put on a trumpet it would be put on the new bachs 800xxx+ (pipe was manufactured December 2024)

2. It's super small, but we are getting basically the same thing. It's tough to measure precisely, I don't own calipers.

3. Sounds like your #6 is equivalent to a reeves #5?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

1. What model and year please is this Bach?

2. I'm finding 24mm for my Bach mouthpiece compared to your 23.5mm, but the same 25mm for a Yamaha mouthpiece.

3. I'm finding 24mm for my Bach mouthpiece compared to your 23.5mm, but the same 25mm for a Yamaha mouthpiece.

4. It is interesting that you are finding that a 5 sleeve inserts 24 mm in your Yamaha. A 6 sleeve inserts 24mm in mine and a 6.5 sleeve 25mm.

25 pipe (model 37): 707xxx.
Thanks very much. Mine is 166xxx, so a lot older.

25 pipe (just pipe): if it were put on a trumpet it would be put on the new bachs 800xxx+ (pipe was manufactured December 2024)
I take it that you mean Dec 2023, so brand new. Maybe I'm being thick, but I take it you mean a mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe, not just a pipe, or how can you measure insertion amount?

2. It's super small, but we are getting basically the same thing. It's tough to measure precisely, I don't own calipers.
I don't either.

3. Sounds like your #6 is equivalent to a reeves #5?
It does indeed, and probably my 6.5 equivalent to a Reeves 5.5. I know that you've now sold it, but did your 5.5 insert 25mm in your Yamaha?

My understand is that we are getting pretty much the same measurements for Yamaha trumpets, but that mouthpieces insert around 1mm more in my Bach than the two you are measuring.

I would be very interesting in hearing from the other Bach owners.

Many thanks

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

1. Thanks very much. Mine is 166xxx, so a lot older.

I take it that you mean Dec 2023, so brand new. Maybe I'm being thick, but I take it you mean a mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe, not just a pipe, or how can you measure insertion amount?

2. [b]My understand is that we are getting pretty much the same measurements for Yamaha trumpets, but that mouthpieces insert around 1mm more in my Bach than the two you are measuring.

1. I have a 48xxx Bach as well, but mine, as yours, had the leadpipe replaced. I was under the impression that your pipe was of unknown provenance. My Melk pipe has the exact same insertion as a Yamaha pipe.

Yes, sorry 2023. Yes, I said "just pipe" so you know it isn't attached to a trumpet. It has a mouthpiece receiver otherwise there would be no insertion.

2. Yes, but again, your leadpipe/receiver is of unknown provenance.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

1. Thanks very much. Mine is 166xxx, so a lot older.

2. My understand is that we are getting pretty much the same measurements for Yamaha trumpets, but that mouthpieces insert around 1mm more in my Bach than the two you are measuring.

1. I have a 48xxx Bach as well, but mine, as yours, had the leadpipe replaced.

[b]Thanks very much for the clarification.

I was under the impression that your pipe was of unknown provenance.

It is.

My Melk pipe has the exact same insertion as a Yamaha pipe.

As does my Bach mouthpiece receiver.

I've just checked the insertion amount of all my trumpet mouthpieces in both my Bach 37 and Xeno II, and each individual mouthpiece inserts equivalently in each.

What I'm not understanding, is that Lipshurt said, "On a Bach the leadpipe slides in to butt against a ledge in the receiver so it can’t be adjusted by unsoldering and moving it." Doesn't that therefore mean that a replacement leadpipe must have its ledge at the same depth as the original. If so, even though you have a Melk pipe, presumably even with the original leadpipe, mouthpieces would have inserted in your 48xxx Bach, the same as they do in my 166xxx Bach and Yamaha trumpets.

[b]In a nutshell, isn't mouthpiece insertion amount dependent on the mouthpiece receiver and not the leadpipe at all, although of course leadpipe placement affects gap?

How does your 48xxx Bach play with mouthpieces inserting further, and equivalent to your Yamaha trumpets?[/b]

Yes, sorry 2023.

No worries.

Yes, I said "just pipe" so you know it isn't attached to a trumpet. It has a mouthpiece receiver otherwise there would be no insertion.

Lol, I thought so.

2. Yes, but again, your leadpipe/receiver is of unknown provenance.

Thanks very much.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or are mouthpiece receivers generally replaced with leadpipes?

If not, as long as they don’t bottom out, isn’t mouthpiece insertion amount dependent on the mouthpiece receiver, and not the leadpipe?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

As does my Bach mouthpiece receiver.

I've just checked the insertion amount of all my trumpet mouthpieces in both my Bach 37 and Xeno II, and each individual mouthpiece inserts equivalently in each.

What I'm not understanding, is that Lipshurt said, "On a Bach the leadpipe slides in to butt against a ledge in the receiver so it can’t be adjusted by unsoldering and moving it." Doesn't that therefore mean that a replacement leadpipe must have its ledge at the same depth as the original. If so, even though you have a Melk pipe, presumably even with the original leadpipe, mouthpieces would have inserted in your 48xxx Bach, the same as they do in my 166xxx Bach and Yamaha trumpets.

How does your 48xxx Bach play with mouthpieces inserting further, and equivalent to your Yamaha trumpets?

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your confusion:
Insertion is independent of gap (loosely defined as the distance between the end of your mouthpiece and the venturi). I could have a 12 foot receiver where the mouthpiece only inserts 24mm. But I think you know that part.

The second question is "doesn't that therefore mean that a replacement leadpipe must have it's ledge..." Generally, when people replace leadpipes, they tend to replace the receiver as well (because people do all sorts of funny things upon insertion and wear it out). So, if your receiver is original, and only the leadpipe was replaced, then yes, it should have the same "gap/insertion." However ALL of my leadpipe/receivers have the same distance from the end of the mouthpiece to the venturi despite the differing insertion distances. I have no original components on my 48xxx bach until the tuning slide (new receiver and leadpipe).

Focusing on insertion is good for 1 thing: determining which sleeve is equivalent to which sleeve is equivalent to which mouthpiece taper. Insertion alone is not good for determining the actual gap. My Yamaha and New Bach insertions are different but that distance (gap) is the same. Melk is equivalent to yamaha in insertion and gap, bach and yamaha are not equivalent in insertion but equivalent in gap. You unfortunately cannot measure gap because you have a very strange situation going on.

Hope I was clear haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: