• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Typical insertion amount for a Bach Strad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reached my conclusions. I've done my usual practice routine on both my Bach 37 and Xeno II, then practiced the specific pieces that I'm playing in my community light orchestra. I've recorded myself and had a listen back.

These are my thoughts. Now that I've returned to the James R New 6 sleeve on my Bach (which I'll be sticking with), I would say that the both trumpets have a pretty similar level of blow resistance. The Bach 37 is that little bit more open in the upper register, but nothing that would take too much of an adjustment. I noticed this in my symphony orchestra last Monday when coming in on long high Bs and Cs after a few bars rest. When I switched from my Xeno II to Bach 37, the notes initially felt a little more open, and when I switched back, the notes initially felt a little tighter, but I quickly adjusted both times.

Slotting was also different on both trumpets, but not significantly so. I definitely now feel that all this concern about my Bach 37 leadpipe was unjustified.

My conclusion. I just prefer the blow of my Xeno II. It seems more consistent throughout the registers, and listening to the recording, I prefer my sound on the Xeno II also, although there is such little difference, I honestly do think that anyone would notice. Actually it may not be my sound as such I'm preferring, rather I feel that you can hear the evenness of response of my Xeno II.

I'm going to stick with my Xeno II. My Bach 37 can stay as a decent spare. I don't see much point spending time and money on it, when I really like my Xeno II.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I informed my modern jazz saxophonist husband of my decision, and he says that he prefers my sound on the Bach 37, and that he considers it a little more open and free sounding. Although he reckons that I sound much the same on everything, as to be honest does he (I cannot tell the difference from one make of reed to another, and don't even realise sometimes when getting on with other things in the house and not really listening that he is playing alto sax rather than soprano, until he plays too low for soprano sax), he reckons that my Xeno II is comparatively a little stuffy sounding, a little orchestral.

I've had many compliments on my sound on my Xeno II, and I don't think that it sounds stuffy sounding, just even in response and sound, but I agree that the Bach 37 is a little more open and has a little more character to the sound.

I think that on one hand I have a very even sound and response on my Yamaha, and on the other, I have a little more character on my Bach 37, but with a less even sound and response. I think this pretty much sums up the historic difference between Bach and Yamaha.

Maybe I'll give the Bach a go for a while and see how I find it. How many times I try it, I've never spend any length of time on it as my primary trumpet, and that may be making a difference to my thoughts.

I ultimately don't think that it will really make any difference what I play anyhow.

All I know, is that I know that my Xeno II plays great as it it. If I do think that it feels tight to blow after spending time on the Bach, I will know to keep my mouthpiece set-up the same and leave it to feel familiar again.

Decisions, decisions.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the song said

"ya better go home son, and make up yer mind"

"pick up on one, and let the other one ride"

;
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
like the song said

"ya better go home son, and make up yer mind"

"pick up on one, and let the other one ride"

Very true Jay

I've just played for my flautist younger daughter, and she says that my Xeno II sounds smoother and clearer.

Decisions, decisions. I honestly think it is going to have to be the Xeno II. Giving this some more thought, I'm not convinced that I've ever really loved my Bach 37.

As a bit of history, for quite a number of years, I played a Yamaha YTR-6335HGII trumpet, which I loved, and a Bach 184ML cornet. I decided to sell my 6335HGII and buy my Bach 37. Although I always loved my Bach 184ML cornet, and really like it again now I'm back on it, I don't feel that I've ever really loved my Bach 37. I've always said that it will take something very special in a trumpet to get the cornet out of my hands, and I've always been very happy to have my Xeno II in my hands. This is a trumpet that makes me smile.

I think the Bach 37 is a trumpet that I feel that I ought to like, and although I feel that I could easily live with it, it doesn't make me smile.

All the best

Lou

;

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

I think the Bach 37 is a trumpet that I feel that I ought to like, and although I feel that I could easily live with it, it doesn't make me smile.

My boyhood days were spent on a Mt. Vernon Mercedes - looked like a Strad - just all brass.

I eventually sold it and tried to play a Strad - hated it with a passion and all trumpets that tried to closely copy the 25/37 . Many trumpets later I found out that the Mercedes had a #7 leadpipe and a #38 bell. Most of what I found restrictive in the Strad was in the #25 leadpipe - its design and its relatively small venturi. Both the #7 and #43 are better options for me and can be tried from mouthpieceexpress.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had my husband listen to a blind test of me playing both trumpets. Which did he choose?

He chose the Xeno II.

My Bach is becoming my spare.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

My boyhood days were spent on a Mt. Vernon Mercedes - looked like a Strad - just all brass.

I eventually sold it and tried to play a Strad - hated it with a passion and all trumpets that tried to closely copy the 25/37 . Many trumpets later I found out that the Mercedes had a #7 leadpipe and a #38 bell. Most of what I found restrictive in the Strad was in the #25 leadpipe - its design and its relatively small venturi. Both the #7 and #43 are better options for me and can be tried from mouthpieceexpress.

I have this hunch that many players find a "great" bach that they love and enjoy and attribute it to its components (usually the leadpipe and bell). Then they try a different bach (probably a bad bach) and write off and shun whatever leadpipe and bell combination of the bad horn, and subsequently confirm their bias at every opportunity. In reality, a skilled trumpet "tweaker" can make you fall in love with almost any combination. Not saying this is you Andy Cooper, but just sharing my feelings on that sentiment that you shared.

As it relates to the OP: Louise stated she loved her 6335HGII which is very much in line with a 25/37 playing experience. There is no reason that the OP wouldn't be happy with the 25/37 combo. For "love and smile" to happen, it usually has to be a great horn and it doesn't seem to be 100% there yet.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Thanks very much, Andy.

Very interesting, thanks.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I have this hunch that many players find a "great" bach that they love and enjoy and attribute it to its components (usually the leadpipe and bell). Then they try a different bach (probably a bad bach) and write off and shun whatever leadpipe and bell combination of the bad horn, and subsequently confirm their bias at every opportunity. In reality, a skilled trumpet "tweaker" can make you fall in love with almost any combination. Not saying this is you Andy Cooper, but just sharing my feelings on that sentiment that you shared.

I don't know abontrumpet

No offence, but I'm forming the opinion that you have very strong opinions, which is of course fine. I however personally find it fine that Andy doesn't like the 25 leadpipe. You say that a skilled trumpet "tweaker" can make you fall in love with almost any combination. What by changing it into something else? I honestly feel that if you don't like how a particular leadpipe plays, what sort of tweaks can be done to it to make you like it, which don't mean that it is no longer a standard 25 pipe?

[youtube]As it relates to the OP: Louise stated she loved her 6335HGII which is very much in line with a 25/37 playing experience. I'm also saying that I love my Xeno II that I've had since 2015. The Xeno II probably is in line with a 25/37 playing experience, the 6335HGII possibly less so, but neither of them have a 25 leadpipe or a 37 bell. My Xeno II has a Yamaha YL3 bell and I believe a malone leadpipe.[/youtube]

There is no reason that the OP wouldn't be happy with the 25/37 combo.

I'm happy enough with my 25/37 combo Bach Strad

For "love and smile" to happen, it usually has to be a great horn and it doesn't seem to be 100% there yet.

I think the problem with this statement is that what is a great horn is probably rather personal and subjective rather than objective. I could have the greatest Bach that has ever been made, although how that could be objectively determined I don't know? The one Bach that the largest number of players subjectively prefer? The point is, I could be the owner of this great Bach and still prefer my Yamaha, because I personally prefer something about the Yamaha.

"Love and smile" happens with my Xeno II because it is a great horn FOR ME. Is it a great horn overall, maybe, but it is a great horn FOR ME. My Bach 37 is not making me smile because it is either not such a great horn overall or is not such a great horn for me. I don't know which. There may be other Bach 37s out there that I prefer, but I have been comparing my Bach 37 with my Xeno II. Out of the two, I prefer my Xeno II, and I don't just prefer my Xeno II, it makes me smile, so that is what I've chosen to stick with.

I could spend money tweaking my Bach 37 to make me like it more, but why bother. I don't dislike it as it is, I just don't like it as much as my Xeno II. I honestly don't think the lack of a leadpipe edge is the sole reason why I don't prefer my Bach, I think that I just prefer the Xeno II's playing characteristics and sound, and always will do. It is the trumpet that I always come back to.

I think that I shouldn't like it more than my Bach, because it hasn't got the Bach sound, because it sells for £600 less new than a Bach Strad in the UK, or because it is not Yamaha's top tier model, but I honestly really like this trumpet. It works very well for the type of playing I do. I'm sure that the Yamaha 9335 Chicago and New York trumpets are great, but maybe they are too full on orchestral for some of the playing I do, and I ideally want one all-around trumpet, especially when playing in a community light orchestra that plays in a wide range of styles from classical to musicals to latin to swing.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
No offence, but I'm forming the opinion that you have very strong opinions, which is of course fine. I however personally find it fine that Andy doesn't like the 25 leadpipe. You say that a skilled trumpet "tweaker" can make you fall in love with almost any combination. What by changing it into something else? I honestly feel that if you don't like how a particular leadpipe plays, what sort of tweaks can be done to it to make you like it, which don't mean that it is no longer a standard 25 pipe?[/b]

None taken, I do have ridiculously strong opinions! Especially on things that I feel I am knowledgeable about. This is one of them. However, I am not "dug in" and dogmatic about them. I am always open discourse and evidence. I find it fine that Andy doesn't like the 25 pipe as well. His story is just a story I hear quite often in regards to Bach about this bell and that pipe etc. I suspect it is because of the variability of Bach more than the specifications. But this was more an offhanded thought.

Any combination in that, if you can make a decent horn play great, then you will like the combination regardless of the numbers on the bell and leadpipe. It's more making the overall horn better. In my opinion, there are objectively great horns, as I will cover in the next section.

Louise Finch wrote:
abontrumpet -- For "love and smile" to happen, it usually has to be a great horn and it doesn't seem to be 100% there yet.

[b]I think the problem with this statement is that what is a great horn is probably rather personal and subjective rather than objective. I could have the greatest Bach that has ever been made, although how that could be objectively determined I don't know?

"Love and smile" happens with my Xeno II because it is a great horn FOR ME. Is it a great horn overall, maybe, but it is a great horn FOR ME.

Yes, there is a degree of personal/subjective when it comes to choosing a horn. However, a great horn is a great horn. For example, I played Sean Jones' current trumpet, and it is fantastic. I think everybody who plays that horn will think it's a great horn, but I wouldn't choose it for my needs and playing. That is, it is an objectively great horn, it is subjectively not what I want for my needs.

Another example is that I played, and about a dozen others played, the C trumpet created and tweaked for Esteban Batallan. 100% of people were in love with it. How can this be so if trumpets are a completely "subjective" experience?

Great players will gravitate towards objectively great horns. Within that subset, they will chose the one that is subjectively right for them. Players less capable than the most discerning might end up with horns that are not objectively great. It's kind of the way it goes for most skill based professions.

I suspect, and I have been consistent, that your leadpipe is a significant reason you don't love your Bach as much as your Yamaha. Unfortunately, hard evidence is the only thing that will change my mind. The current evidence supports my hypothesis.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, thanks very much, Abontrumpet.

Regarding my Bach 37 and my Yamaha Xeno II, I don't know. Maybe everybody would say that my Yamaha Xeno II is better than my Bach 37.

I do however think that it is possible that someone could just prefer the playing characteristics of a Yamaha to a Bach. Why would that not be possible?

I think that you are saying that I should think that my Bach is great and my Yamaha is great, but have a preference for one over the other, and that because I don't think that my Bach is great, that this definitely means that there is something wrong with it.

I'll leave that as a point of discussion for you all.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I do however think that it is possible that someone could just prefer the playing characteristics of a Yamaha to a Bach. Why would that not be possible?

I think that you are saying that I should think that my Bach is great and my Yamaha is great, but have a preference for one over the other, and that because I don't think that my Bach is great, that this definitely means that there is something wrong with it.

It is possible someone would prefer Yamaha to Bach. Many do! In some side conversation I pointed out that quite a number of pros have switched to Yamaha.

Almost. I am saying if you "like" your Bach with the strange/nonstandard pipe you have and you prefer your Yamaha and your previous Yamaha 6335HGII, (which use a "standard" pipe) then you likely would prefer a standard pipe on your Bach. I think with a standard pipe you might "love" your Bach and have 2 horns that you play for different reasons rather than one being a primary and one a back up. That's my hunch!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

It is possible someone would prefer Yamaha to Bach. Many do! In some side conversation I pointed out that quite a number of pros have switched to Yamaha.

Thanks very much.

Almost. I am saying if you "like" your Bach with the strange/nonstandard pipe you have and you prefer your Yamaha and your previous Yamaha 6335HGII, then you likely would prefer a standard pipe on your Bach. I think with a standard pipe you might "love" your Bach and have 2 horns that you play for different reasons rather than one being a primary and one a back up. That's my hunch!

That sounds fair enough, thanks very much, and you could very well be right. I've definitely not ruled out having the leadpipe replaced. I plan to visit Leigh sometime, and look into all this. Let's just say that with my Bach as it is at the moment, I do not prefer it to the Yamaha I played before and the Yamaha I play now. Maybe I just prefer Yamaha. I was going to try two colleagues's Bach 37s, but have decided not to. I need to try a different leadpipe on this particular Bach, when I can find the time.

My very best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... I've definitely not ruled out having the leadpipe replaced. I plan to visit Leigh sometime, and look into all this. ...

-----------------------------------
If you do pursue making a change on the Bach, I suggest talking with Leigh about just removing / inspecting / replacing the receiver - there might not be anything wrong with the leadpipe itself.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
... I've definitely not ruled out having the leadpipe replaced. I plan to visit Leigh sometime, and look into all this. ...

-----------------------------------
If you do pursue making a change on the Bach, I suggest talking with Leigh about just removing / inspecting / replacing the receiver - there might not be anything wrong with the leadpipe itself.

Thanks very much, Jay. It could indeed be the receiver.

I'll let Leigh look at it anyhow and let him decide what needs doing.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm still wondering whether I'm playing the right sleeve on my Bach 37. I'm playing a James R New 6.5 sleeve on my Yamaha Xeno II. This I consider to be just right.

I'm playing a James R New 6 sleeve on my Bach 37. This inserts 24mm like 4 different Bach mouthpieces I've measured the insertion amount of in my Bach 37. My other Bach mouthpiece inserts even further, like a James R New 6.5 sleeve. I'm wondering whether something simple like a switch to a James R New 5.75 or 5.5 sleeve may be all that I am looking for, and is surely a cheaper option.

Also, I don't think that Jim New currently has any sleeves in stock to try. Does anyone know how Reeves sleeves compare?

Also will Reeves sleeves fit a mouthpiece cut for sleeves by Jim New?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to tell if you need a bigger "gap".
First take a marking pen and mark the point where your present mouthpiece enters your receiver.

Next read this:

https://bobreeves.com/blog/this-one-simple-trick-can-make-trumpet-easier/

With the paper inserted you should see the increased "gap" amount by the space between the marked line on your mouthpiece shank and the end of the receiver.

If things are better using the slip of paper, you need a smaller number sleeve.
If things are worse, you may be at your optimum or need a larger number sleeve.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
It's easy to tell if you need a bigger "gap".
First take a marking pen and mark the point where your present mouthpiece enters your receiver.

Next read this:

https://bobreeves.com/blog/this-one-simple-trick-can-make-trumpet-easier/

With the paper inserted you should see the increased "gap" amount by the space between the marked line on your mouthpiece shank and the end of the receiver.

If things are better using the slip of paper, you need a smaller number sleeve.
If things are worse, you may be at your optimum or need a larger number sleeve.

Thanks very much, Andy

I'll give this a try.

This is very much appreciated.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided against trying a lower number sleeve in my Bach 37. My James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm like my 2005 Bach 3C, which is presumably typical for a Bach mouthpiece, as all but one of the Bach mouthpieces I have, insert the same. I'm not going to claim that they all insert absolutely identically, but they are all within 0.25mm of a mm, less than one 1/4 sleeve, which alters the insertion amount by 0.396875mm, so basically 0.40mm.

The reason for my decision is that Yamaha trumpets do have a little more resistance than a Bach 37. I think that it would be stupid to compensate for this by going to a lower number sleeve. I think that it is best to leave my Bach 37 as it is, when I want to play it. I don't want to create a tighter than usual Bach 37, just because I'm used to more resistance in my Yamaha.

Additionally, I also think that it is a case of getting each instrument playing the best it can for you, not trying to match the resistance of all of them. And also, I don't think that it possibly has a little more blow resistance is really what I like about my Yamaha. I personally think that my Bach 37 has a more open upper register, which I actually prefer to the upper register of my Yamaha. It is the overall blow and evenness of response which I prefer on my Yamaha, and nothing I do with sleeves or anything else, is ever going to make my Bach play like my Yamaha. They naturally have a very different type of blow.

Basically, there are things I prefer about my Bach, but more things that I prefer about my Yamaha, and I prefer my Yamaha overall. Put both cases side by side, and I will pick my Yamaha up everytime before going out the door. I don't dislike my Bach how it is, feel it plays badly or anything like that, it is just not my preferred Bb out of the two I own. I think really this needs to be my final point or I'll drive myself and everyone else mad on here lol.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May lol be a change of plan. After two really good rehearsals on my Xeno II, I had a brass band rehearsal on my Bach 184ML cornet tonight. Apart from playing one tune on my cornet in my orchestra rehearsal, I haven’t spent anytime on this cornet since last Wednesday. All was fine, but the difference in blow was very apparent, and I didn’t have quite the endurance I’ve recently had on cornet. Maybe it was one of the those weeks, but after having been on very good firm for the last two days on trumpet, it was totally unexpected. I’m convinced that if I had been on my Xeno II trumpet, I would have had the endurance of the last few days. Probably I should have spent some time on my cornet earlier today, but I didn’t have time.

I’m wondering if Bach to Bach would be an easier switch. I’m going to give it a try anyhow. My friend has lent me his Bach 37, which has turned out to have a light weight bell.

A couple of observations.

I’ve had a look down his leadpipe. I’m not prepared (RR) to put a pencil or toothpick down and see if I can catch on the end of his leadpipe, but his leadpipe looks like it doesn’t have a ledge either, so maybe Bach were like this during this period.

My James R New 6 sleeve and 2005 Bach 3C insert 24mm in my Bach 37, they insert around 23mm in his Bach. There was a Bach 1 1/2C in the case. That inserts 25mm in his Bach and 26mm in mine, without bottoming out in either.

I’m going to try his Bach tomorrow. My other friend is going to lend me his also. I was hoping to try all three together, but I forgot that my other friend won’t be at our jazz band rehearsal Friday, and we only rehearse fortnightly. My other friend has said that I can borrow his Bach for as long as I like, but I don’t want to borrow it from him for too long.

It will be interesting how it all pans out.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: