• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flutter/Growling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptLad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Flutter/Growling Reply with quote

Hello!
Wondering how one would flutter tongue/growl for they can't roll their Rs?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Flutter/Growling Reply with quote

tptLad wrote:
Hello!
Wondering how one would flutter tongue/growl for they can't roll their Rs?

Flutter tongue and growl are two separate things but are often confused, conflated, and interchanged for each other — just ask the internet experts. ◄ sarcasm

They (growl and flutter) can be done at the same time

And, there is more than one type of (way to) growl.

—Denny

Last edited by Denny Schreffler on Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, two separate and distinctive effects.

Flutter Tongue is the tip of the tongue rapidly bouncing off the air stream. I've only known a few players that learned to do this if they couldn't do it "naturally" It involved a lot of practicing it off the trumpet - practicing/experimenting throughout the day. Blowing (like whistling, and experimenting with tip of tongue position and tension). "T" position from the end of the word "hot" - inhale "ho", exhale "tooooo".
Flutter tonguing is also a good practice aid, for getting air to flow through lines - Practicing all slurred, fluttered, then as written can help clean up those challenging passages.

Growling is a vocal effect, having the vocal chords vibrating a mid-range grunt (a guttural sound) while playing the trumpet.. I don't think it's a hum - Humming to me pushes sound up into the sinus cavity - this doesn't work as well for me. With a plunger creates a real aggressive sound - I find a plunger adds resistance/compression amplifying the effect.

Fun to have both going at the same time - moves a lot of air.

One can also hum specific pitches while playing, getting two or more tones (hum one note play a different one), especially on larger instruments - for me sometimes on flugel, much more apparent on Trombone. (note that my voice is in the Bass range-even my falsetto is at the low end of the trumpet - vocal range has an impact/relationship)

To learn anything that doesn't come "naturally"
||: experiment & practice :||
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: