• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clamp On Pinky Hook

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Clamp On Pinky Hook Reply with quote

I have an old cornet that never had a hook on the leadpipe. I don't miss it until using a plunger mute. I want a hook that clamps to the leadpipe. My tech said they could figure something out. I don't want to pay the labor plus the hour drive both ways to drop it off and go get it at the end.

There was a question some time back here and one solution was a ring with a clamp. I don't want a ring, just a normal hook.

Any ideas?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just have a permanent finger hook put on your horn?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn’t be terribly hard for a shop to create a clamp on pinky hook. Take a square of metal.

Drill a through hole that is slightly larger than the diameter of the leadpipe. (Larger to give clearance for the felt padding.)

Drill two holes the diameter of the thumbscrew threads require through the block perpendicular to the leadpipe hole but to either side without intersecting the first hole.

Slice the block in half following the first hole’s length and bisecting the thumbscrew holes.

Open up the thumbscrew holes on one half to give clearance for the screw threads. Thread the holes on the other half.

Solder the pinky hook on the threaded side.

Add felt to the leadpipe hole to prevent scratching the leadpipe when installed.

Insert thumbscrews. (McMaster Carr is a good source)

Voila!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/ComWfxC

I found the above image in this thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154008

Apparently, clamp-on pinky hooks/rings were an accessory back in the old days when trumpets and cornets didn't have them soldered on. They sometimes turn up on eBay. (You could saw off a section of a ring to turn it into a hook.)

There are other suggestions in the thread. Allied may have clamps that can be adapted, but you would have to go through a tech to see what they have.

You could also do a search on generic hardware "tubing clamps" and see if there is something you could adapt.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand the reason of going through all that trouble instead of simply having a tech permanently affix one. It would be quicker and cheaper.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently, clamp-on pinky hooks/rings were an accessory back in the old days when trumpets and cornets didn't have them soldered on. They sometimes turn up on eBay.

I read the same thing and was hoping someone had found a source.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamp On Pinky Hook Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I still don't understand the reason of going through all that trouble instead of simply having a tech permanently affix one. It would be quicker and cheaper.

Richard III wrote:
I don't want to pay the labor plus the hour drive both ways to drop it off and go get it at the end.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I read the same thing and was hoping someone had found a source.

Perhaps you could reach out to a tech who has worked on a lot of older horns (Mark Metzler/Robb Stewart/Josh Landress) and see if they have one lying around.

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just try a jubilee clip, or hose clamp as we know it in the US, with a real pinky hook and some padding?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest that you pick up a butane torch and order a finger hook - then I started adding up the costs and shipping and you would be at $30 to $40. I can find no ready made product - I guess you could McGiver something out of 9 gauge wire or brass rod and tape. Bend it into a hook with a long base, file down the bottom of the base to fit the tuning slide tube better and tape it with Gorilla tape.

Do you live an hour outside of town or are you in town?

If you are in town I can make a partial suggestion. Get to know the local band director. Someone has to do repairs for the students - they probably stop by the school once a week to pick up and return. That would at least save you two hours.

I Googled Anacortez - what a nice looking place. We too have seagulls in Terre Haute IN . They fall asleep on a river barge - wake up in Terre Haute - decide to stay until the weather gets better. Pretty soon they meet a girl, buy a fixer up nest and a few eggs later find they have joined the accidental population.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont result in a hook, but you could twist a pipe cleaner onto your horn and twist a loop on the top. You can get cool colors too. Glittery ones even.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Maybe just try a jubilee clip, or hose clamp as we know it in the US, with a real pinky hook and some padding?

This is probably what I'm going to do. Though I'm still hoping the original product is somewhere out there.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clamp On Pinky Hook Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Richard III wrote:
I don't want to pay the labor plus the hour drive both ways to drop it off and go get it at the end.

Thank you, Halflip.
The mail is still working n'est-ce pas?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

This is probably what I'm going to do. Though I'm still hoping the original product is somewhere out there.

Maybe something like this? ...

This was quite easy to make. Some time on the lathe, doing some silver soldering, tapping threads, and making some fine cuts to make sure the assembly was easy to adjust. Can either be a ring or a hook by making some more cuts and adjustments.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jacob Hoskins

I am driven to work generously in the service of others' musical creativity.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bájoc Music wrote:
Richard III wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

This was quite easy to make. Some time on the lathe, doing some silver soldering, tapping threads, and making some fine cuts to make sure the assembly was easy to adjust. Can either be a ring or a hook by making some more cuts and adjustments.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jacob Hoskins

Make it a hook and I'm sold.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bájoc Music wrote:

Your workmanship looks very nice, but wouldn't you need to add a hinge to the ring that goes around the leadpipe to avoid having to bend and weaken the metal when installing/removing it?

Something like this . . .

I suppose if the metal used were extremely malleable, it wouldn't matter.

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add a photo to make this clearer of one of the issues. The desirable spot for the hook is very close to a bend in the pipe.

[img]ConnWonder1 by genevie7

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamp On Pinky Hook Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
The mail is still working n'est-ce pas?

A public expression of perplexity opens the door to a public clarifying response, c'est vrai?

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I think I understand the problem.

Google " Bach 1815 Clamp-on Trumpet/Cornet Lyre Standard"

Remove the lyre from the clamp and substitute a

"Bach 3rd valve slide finger ring".

Put the clamp right after the 3rd valve leadpipe brace and run the finger ring backwards - ring toward the bell.

Saw off the un-needed part of the 3rd valve slide ring - put a notch in it - add a little Loctite to the thread. Sorry - it's a ring not a hook.

Looks like the clamp can be totally taken apart and re-assembled over the leadpipe tube. I'm a little concerned about what happens to a leadpipe that old when you tighten the clamp. Maybe line it with some cork.

Thinking about it a little more - I'm concerned about how high the main screw sits in relationship to the 3rd valve. Maybe you could mount it sideways and bend the finger ring up above the leadpipe.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Google " Bach 1815 Clamp-on Trumpet/Cornet Lyre Standard"

Remove the lyre from the clamp ...

... then cut off the music-holding part of the lyre and bend the square stock into a hook shape. If there is not enough length in that short lyre, find an old, long lyre that came up from the 3rd slide for your bendable brass stock.

I had (have?? Not seen it in years!) one of those clamp-on-the-leadpipe lyres. I used to line it with a few layers of masking tape to help protect the finish on my silver horn. Still, clamping down tight enough keep a music folder from twisting around made me cringe a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: