• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Make a mistake in practice or performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Make a mistake in practice or performance. Reply with quote

If you make a mistake that's progress..if you learn from it and hit the practice room to correct it. In a performance when you make a mistake you must forget about it immediately, but bring it up in the practice room. On stage if you get upset over a goof, you will make more mistakes because your focus is no longer on making music.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or as Claude Gordon used to say,

"Hit it hard and wish it well."

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

Claude could play soft in the high register. I took maybe 4 lessons from him and on one lesson (he played some in lessons back in the late 60's) we were playing one of his drills starting above the staff and playing up an octave through the arpeggio. He started on a soft and excellent attack on A just above the staff and ended with a great Double A. His soft A to start with was as good a legit attack as I've ever heard.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Ellis wrote:
Claude could play soft in the high register. I took maybe 4 lessons from him and on one lesson (he played some in lessons back in the late 60's) we were playing one of his drills starting above the staff and playing up an octave through the arpeggio. He started on a soft and excellent attack on A just above the staff and ended with a great Double A. His soft A to start with was as good a legit attack as I've ever heard.

I find myself a little confused. Did I give the impression that I thought Claude could only play loud?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

Tpt_Guy wrote:

I find myself a little confused. Did I give the impression that I thought Claude could only play loud?

---------------------------------------
You didn't give that impression.
I assume it's a quote from Gordon - and depends on whether the reader interprets it as 'always do it this way' ...
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Don Ellis wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's typical TH speak. Why address the subject when you can use it as a springboard to talk about something else?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon was an exceptional Trumpet Player. His sound/technique was of the highest level. Most of the lessons dealt with all areas of playing, a marvelous teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: