• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How sleeves compare and which sleeve to use on a Bach 37

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: How sleeves compare and which sleeve to use on a Bach 37 Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 1994 Bach 7C, 2005 Bach 3C (another Bach 3C bought used with the same lettering style), a Bach 10 backbore from a Bach mouthpieces converted to have Warburton threads (I bought this used, I have no idea what era), and a Bach 10 backbore with Warburton threads created from a 2nd 2005 Bach 3C.

Apart from my 1994 Bach 7C, which inserts 25mm in my Bach, all of these insert 24mm, which is equivalent to a James R New 6 sleeve.

However I always thought that a Reeves 5 or possibly a 5.5 replicated a typical Bach insertion amount. Do James R New sleeves insert equivalent to a one size smaller Reeves sleeve or something?

Also, for reference I use a James R New 6.5 sleeve on my Yamaha Xeno II, and that inserts like a typical Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece.

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: sleeves Reply with quote

Hello Lou,
If all receiver to leadpipes were the same, the measurements would be valid. The real measure is the mp to venturi, that creates the gap, is what you really want to know. If you are only going on openness/stuffiness and response, then you just rely on the senses to give you the answer. My horns play well with a 3-4mm gap. Sleeves 5, 5.5 or 6 depending on horn. My Warburton and Schilke mp shanks fit in that range for my Schilkes.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeves Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello Lou,
If all receiver to leadpipes were the same, the measurements would be valid. The real measure is the mp to venturi, that creates the gap, is what you really want to know. If you are only going on openness/stuffiness and response, then you just rely on the senses to give you the answer. My horns play well with a 3-4mm gap. Sleeves 5, 5.5 or 6 depending on horn. My Warburton and Schilke mp shanks fit in that range for my Schilkes.

Thanks very much Christian, this is really appreciated.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting list on Frost Custom Brass with the varying degrees of gap among mouthpieces.

https://www.frostcustombrass.net/gapmeasurements.html
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
This is an interesting list on Frost Custom Brass with the varying degrees of gap among mouthpieces.

https://www.frostcustombrass.net/gapmeasurements.html

Thanks very much, Jon. I've seen this before and find it very interesting, but in this instance I was just wondering what Reeves sleeve inserts most like a typical Bach trumpet mouthpiece, a Reeves 5 or 5.5, and whether a James R New 6 sleeve is more like a Reeves 5 sleeve, since a James R New 6 sleeve inserts like my Bach mouthpieces.

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I haven't had many replies, I've amended the topic title, and will repost my original question below:

Hi

I have a 1994 Bach 7C, 2005 Bach 3C (another Bach 3C bought used with the same lettering style), a Bach 10 backbore from a Bach mouthpieces converted to have Warburton threads (I bought this used, I have no idea what era), and a Bach 10 backbore with Warburton threads created from a 2nd 2005 Bach 3C.

Apart from my 1994 Bach 7C, which inserts 25mm in my Bach, all of these insert 24mm, which is equivalent to a James R New 6 sleeve.

However I always thought that a Reeves 5 or possibly a 5.5 replicated a typical Bach insertion amount. Do James R New sleeves insert equivalent to a one size smaller Reeves sleeve or something?

Also, for reference I use a James R New 6.5 sleeve on my Yamaha Xeno II, and that inserts like a typical Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece.

Many thanks

Lou

That is what I asked originally, and I have a further question. Most Bach mouthpieces insert 24mm in the receiver of my Bach 37. A James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm.

A Yamaha mouthpiece inserts 25mm in the receiver of my Bach 37 (and Xeno II), as does a James R New 6.5 sleeve.

It appears to me therefore that a James R New 6 sleeve replicates the insertion amount of a Bach trumpet mouthpiece, and that a James R New 6.5 sleeve replicates the 1mm greater insertion amount of a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece.

But people seem to be using Reeves 5 sleeves on Bachs. Is a Reeves 5 sleeve equivalent to a Jim New 6, or does a Reeves 5 sleeve give a larger gap than a Bach trumpet mouthpiece, and people are preferring larger gaps on Bachs than with a Bach mouthpiece?

I'd really like to know.

I'd also like to know whether Reeves sleeves will fit my backbores cut for James R New sleeves, as Jim New I believe, does not currently have any sleeves in stock and is making them to order. I'd rather have the option of maybe trying a few, then sending back what doesn't work.

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: