• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance VS. Lotus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Hello ericmpena,
is the yamaha artist model New York really 7.000$ in USA ? I think you can find it for less, real price, not catalogue price.
You can not compare the real price of AR or Lotus with the Catalogue and not real price of another brand.

I didn’t mean to compare the Yamaha with AR or Lotus. I was simply saying that I would not pay that much money for a Yamaha. Even the street price of $5,300 seems high in my opinion.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did no say “ I tried it and I prefer another model for a similar price” , you say “ I would no pay that much for a Yamaha “.

Not even if Yamaha realease a model that you like more than your Thane ?

Is the problem the name written in the valve casing ?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
You did no say “ I tried it and I prefer another model for a similar price” , you say “ I would no pay that much for a Yamaha “.

Not even if Yamaha realease a model that you like more than your Thane ?

Is the problem the name written in the valve casing ?

I do prefer my Thane over the Yamaha. The NY Yamaha played the best out of the currently available Yamaha/Bach options, but it wasn’t anything that made me feel like I needed to own it.

I could care less what name is written on the horn. I didn’t find my home on Thane trumpets because of the name. They were simply the best playing trumpets I experienced at ITG.

I did record a short video of the Yamaha NY Artist model. I remember it playing smoothly, but the blow was tight for what I’m used to. If I were in the market for a factory trumpet and money was no concern, this one would be my choice.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-znEFK5-RB0?si=hXKE3ILBhTV_v2tX
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I wrote what I wrote cause you said " I would not pay that for A YAMAHA " and that's why I asked " are you sure ANY yamaha that you can buy right now even in the future ? ".

We all have different situations, I could try a yamaha artist model, BUT can not try a Thane, AR, Lotus, or Bohme....
May be if I take the risk of buying any of those I will like it more than the yamaha artist model, or may be not, who knows...
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Right, I wrote what I wrote cause you said " I would not pay that for A YAMAHA " and that's why I asked " are you sure ANY yamaha that you can buy right now even in the future ? ".

We all have different situations, I could try a yamaha artist model, BUT can not try a Thane, AR, Lotus, or Bohme....
May be if I take the risk of buying any of those I will like it more than the yamaha artist model, or may be not, who knows...

I would not pay $5,000+ for ANY factory made trumpet. That includes Yamaha.
And as long as I can purchase high quality, hand crafted horns for less than $5,000…that’ll be my opinion.

Hope that clears it up!
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Thane custom made ? from my understanding you choose a model of the ones you make, so is not custom for you.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena,

How would you compare your Thane Performance to the AR Resonance Feroce? I'm guessing that they both have superb mechanics and playability:

1. slick slides.
2. Meinlschmidt regular piston valves on the Thane (I think was your preference from another TH thread) and Meinlschmidt MAW valves on the AR Feroce.
3. great intonation on both.
4. great tonal profile on both for what you need.
5. great compression.

What about resonance and projection at varied register points and varied dynamics? Is there anything else better for you on one over the other?
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AR Resonance Feroce and a Thane Performance with the classic bell, but I chose the lightweight bell version and lightweight bracing.

I love both trumpets! I have played lead on the Feroce in a few big bands and a Motown/funk band. That horn has a presence! I can hear myself fairly well on this horn. I just feel like subconsciously I do not overblow/use too much pressure that often as I can hear myself well and that big bell just makes my mind think, if I can just play that note/run cleanly, then it will carry across the room, no need to kill myself physically!

The Thane took me a little while to get used to as I think the horn blew slightly tighter than other horns I had owned recently. I love my sound on the Thane. I can play about any type of music on it and sound good. It looks great too! I got custom finger buttons, Saturn keys and a brushed lacquer version.

I go back and forth between these two horns and play out with each of them a lot!

As far as customization on the Thane. He does basically make two models with a lightweight version of each, but I am pretty sure he can tweak a horn to make it more custom, as in possibly a different lead pipe or bell material, etc., but I am not sure.

I have never tried a Lotus!

One little quirk with the AR is that I am finding the screw in gap adapter/receiver bit sometimes loosens a little bit during a gig and I tighten it up once or twice a night. No big deal, but I am thinking of just keeping the number 4 gap screw in receiver bit in the horn and letting it get really "frozen" in the position and not taking it out since it is my favorite of the five screw in "gap" receivers.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Are the Thane custom made ? from my understanding you choose a model of the ones you make, so is not custom for you.

Yes and no. Logan offers default options, but you can make special requests if you'd like. Mostly everything is hand made and fitted by Logan, so he can do whatever you'd like.

For example, I requested a wider thumb ring on my 1st slide, as well as a "slightly tapered" receiver. My new bell was also a custom request (5" flare, large taper, brushed gold brass, polished and lacquered inner bell).
I also requested no spit valve on my 3rd slide, and a Saturn key on the tuning slide.

You're absolutely able to just purchase a horn that Logan already has in stock, or you can have one made specifically for you...with whatever options/requests you'd like.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
ericmpena,

How would you compare your Thane Performance to the AR Resonance Feroce? I'm guessing that they both have superb mechanics and playability:

1. slick slides.
2. Meinlschmidt regular piston valves on the Thane (I think was your preference from another TH thread) and Meinlschmidt MAW valves on the AR Feroce.
3. great intonation on both.
4. great tonal profile on both for what you need.
5. great compression.

What about resonance and projection at varied register points and varied dynamics? Is there anything else better for you on one over the other?

Well, I just received the new lacquered Feroce, which also has the smaller 132mm bell.
I've gotta be completely honest, I'm not a fan. I don't know if it's the lacquer or the smaller bell, but the sound is not what I want.

My other Feroce is still at the shop (raw nickel, 140mm bell). I'll get a video comparison once I get it back in my hands. I believe the larger, non-lacquered bell has a much better sound. You can hear more overtones and sizzle with the larger bell. This smaller, lacquered bell seems to have lost a lot of the vibrance that I loved about the other horn.

EDIT: REMOVED VIDEOS. WILL POST A NEW VIDEO IN THIS THREAD.

Last edited by ericmpena on Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornofPlenty wrote:

One little quirk with the AR is that I am finding the screw in gap adapter/receiver bit sometimes loosens a little bit during a gig and I tighten it up once or twice a night. No big deal, but I am thinking of just keeping the number 4 gap screw in receiver bit in the horn and letting it get really "frozen" in the position and not taking it out since it is my favorite of the five screw in "gap" receivers.

I've noticed the same quirk with my Feroce. After a little bit of playing, you've gotta tighten the gap insert again.

Is your Feroce a 5" or 5.5" bell flare?
And is it raw or lacquered?

I'm still floored at how differently this new Feroce plays from my other one.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is, I asked a custom European maker about going to his factory to try horns, so I asked, which bells do you have to try ? And he answered to me, “not even one, you talk with me and based in our conversation and trying may be if I can one or two of my trumpets somebody has near here if he can come, I decide how to make your trumpet “.
So to buy a 3.500 euros raw brass horn, you can not try 4or 5 bells, and then say “ I like something between the 2 and the 3” or 2 or 3 leadpipes, and then he makes it custom for you. You can not do that cause he has nnothing to try.
Of course he makes your horn, and is not going to be bad, I am sure is good, but when you spend 3.500 or 4.000 euros I think that’s not enough and is not how a custom horn should be made.

If I am going to spend that kind of money I want to be able to try different designs.

So are all custom makers really custom ? And, can we try what they make before buying it ? And can we try the different options ?
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
...So are all custom makers really custom ? And, can we try what they make before buying it ? And can we try the different options ?

If you're Sergei, you can!
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha but I am not….
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Haha but I am not….

Neither are any of us!
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

I have the 5.5" raw bell. The horn is a beast!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: REMOVED VIDEO. I'LL UPLOAD A HIGHER QUALITY VIDEO IN THIS THREAD.

Last edited by ericmpena on Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mpcs are you using ?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Which mpcs are you using ?

ACB 0B, formerly named Bee Bear.

It’s a gold, modern blank with a long shank (left in picture). I’ve tried shorter shanked mouthpieces (Lotus, Monette) and found that I don’t get the sound I’m looking for with them.

kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you don’t use an AR mpc with the AR trumpet ? Both would perfectly fit to get the maximum quality from the AR trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: