• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modern Mouthpiece Recomendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockonlp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Modern Mouthpiece Recomendations Reply with quote

I'm back into playing after some time off. I usually play a Curry or Bach 1.5 C. I'm finding a lot of modern pieces that look interesting but I don't know if they are really that revolutionary or worthwhile. Lotus, GR, AR Resonance, multiple Monette lines. I love trying out new things but where to start? I live in a small rural area in Arizona. No local shops, no professional players, no resources. What do you like for a first stop exploratory piece in this newer world of gear?! Thanks!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe start with what you don't like, or perhaps would like to improve about your current setup?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of music do you want to play?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
rockonlp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current pieces are fine, Curry 1.5c. I play on a large bore Yamaha Xeno. I play in a community jazz band and orchestra. I would be looking for an all around piece. Again I don't necessarily need to change but I like trying new stuff. Curious if the modern pieces are really anything different or improved or anything.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockonlp wrote:
My current pieces are fine, Curry 1.5c. I play on a large bore Yamaha Xeno. I play in a community jazz band and orchestra. I would be looking for an all around piece. Again I don't necessarily need to change but I like trying new stuff. Curious if the modern pieces are really anything different or improved or anything.

I would experiment with something different in the Curry line. One of my favorites for all around playing is a Curry BC. For big band, it would be a Curry M (Z) and I'm experimenting with a Curry Star.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the rim of the mouthpiece is key. If you know you like a round rim or a flat rim or a sharp rim, you can already eliminate some pieces. I like round rims, so Lotus, Bach, Tilz, and a few other are out. Seems like a rather primitive approach but has worked well for me.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stork 2c is worth a look.
Fredrik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always fun to try new stuff. For me it can be quite inspiring too with my practicing especially in periods when I haven't alot of gigs or rehersals. New gear is fun 😀

Curry mouthpieces are really top class. Are they perfect for everyone? Of course not... But I'm now back on Curry after trying and buying alot of different brands.

If you like your Curry 1.5 try a different cup in the same rim size if you want a change in sound. If your new piece isn't cutting it after trying it out it'll be easy to get back to your other Curry.

Trying mouthpieces out at random can really mess your chops up, at least it did to me, and I don't think I'm alone...

Kind regards and good luck!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Mouthpiece Recomendations Reply with quote

rockonlp wrote:
No local shops, no professional players, no resources. What do you like for a first stop exploratory piece in this newer world of gear?!

I'd stick with the Curry if you like it. Especially because you're back on after a while off. Be familiar and wait a year.

rockonlp wrote:
revolutionary or worthwhile

Revolutionary? No. Worthwhile? Depends on how much liquidity you have, haha
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer doesn't mean better. Plenty of players still use Bach . If you are a come back player, I would suggest concentrating on the fundamentals of playing. Mouthpieces won't do anything for you. Spend your money on lessons. I know that this mostly a hobbyist's site, but somebody needs to say that looking for a mouthpiece that will make coming back easier just doesn't exist. On the other hand if you just enjoy buying mouthpieces then have at it.

Last edited by Irving on Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider trying one of the Lotus/AR/Monette types as they have a different concept behind them; the GR are just variations on the more standard designs (they are great variations, but there is not as much need to check them out).

Personally I am a Monette fan, primarily because they have an ease of playing to them which makes it possible for me to play faster, cleaner, longer. BUT it can take a long (or a very long) time to get to that spot as it is a very different philosophy of playing. I thought the tone was not completely optimal on the Pranas but the new Unity design solved that. Currently I am playing on the Unity B6-7M and absolutely loving it. I had a Unity B2-7 and it was too big for me; for you the B4 will probably be the size. Note I am going to sell my B2-7 so PM me if you want a good deal on it. Speaking of good deals, yes price is the major downside. Fortunately there are lots of used ones out there, and the AR ones are also better deals (never tried them though).

I agree with the remark above that the most important thing is the playing, not the details of the gear. But if you like fiddling with gear it can be a fun thing to mess with. I personally plead guilty to this.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
I would consider trying one of the Lotus/AR/Monette types as they have a different concept behind them; the GR are just variations on the more standard designs (they are great variations, but there is not as much need to check them out).

If you have the money and the willingness to test modern mouthpieces, I would certainly include GR. They are nothing like Bach, Schilke, Stork, Curry, or Monette, who all make very fine mouthpieces.

But GR is something very special. I find the quick response and clean articulation like no other. The sound is terrific, too. The trick is finding the one that fits you. Brian Scriver at GR is certainly worth contacting to get his input on a starting point.

Also, make sure you have someone listening on the other side of the bell when testing any.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d agree with the above post. While I don’t play GR (anymore) they are great mouthpieces and are not „just variations“ of conventional pieces.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Newer doesn't mean better.

That’s a bit too general. If you get along well with conventional (for lack of a better term) mouthpieces then yes, there’s little reason to change. But the design concepts of some of the newer mouthpieces (like AR Resonance, and supposedly Monette and Lotus as well) do make that they play differently. For me, the ‘open throat open backbore’ style mouthpieces made a huge difference in playing when I first tried them, and I still much prefer them over the tighter regular throat mouthpieces like the Bachs. Counter-point is that they may not work very well for people who play better on conventional mouthpieces. Only way to find out is to try one.

To the OP: when I first tried the new style mouthpieces, I found that all combinations instantly helped me play better with a much better sound. It took a while to find the right combination, but the effect was noticeable for all of them.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a previous poster who said the rim (shape) is critical. A lot of people seem to like the flat/square rims (3C style) while others prefer the rounded rim (5c style).

It would be a good idea to narrow down the variables by trying the Curry line. From flat to narrow: 3c, 1.5c, 7c, 5c. The diameters differ too but the main effect initially is the rim shape. I find the 3c end of the range gives me an airy tone and flubbed attacks while the 5c end works pretty well immediately.

After sorting that out, the cup depth, drill size, backbore, blank style, etc. etc. all have a big influence. I tend to find shallow cup depth helps with range but limits tone color. The backbore too - narrow backbores "light up" at higher volume but may sound tinny/trashy in a classical context. Most of this is subjective and not as mechanically important as the rim shape (and diameter).

Good luck!!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Irving wrote:
Newer doesn't mean better.

That’s a bit too general. If you get along well with conventional (for lack of a better term) mouthpieces then yes, there’s little reason to change. But the design concepts of some of the newer mouthpieces (like AR Resonance, and supposedly Monette and Lotus as well) do make that they play differently. For me, the ‘open throat open backbore’ style mouthpieces made a huge difference in playing when I first tried them, and I still much prefer them over the tighter regular throat mouthpieces like the Bachs. Counter-point is that they may not work very well for people who play better on conventional mouthpieces. Only way to find out is to try one.

To the OP: when I first tried the new style mouthpieces, I found that all combinations instantly helped me play better with a much better sound. It took a while to find the right combination, but the effect was noticeable for all of them.

The OP stated that he hasn't been playing for a while. The last thing I would recommend would be a newer style mouthpiece with big throats and back bores. I never said that older styled mouthpieces are better. I won't argue with you if you say you prefer them. I said "newer doesn't mean better" and I stand by that. For me, and for the majority of players that don't use newer style mouthpieces. If newer style mouthpieces were decisively better, then by now, everybody would be using one. That isn't the case, and they have been around for 40 years.
Aj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised that Reeves seems to fall off the list these days….

Reeves make some of the most efficient mouthpieces for Big Band and Commercial music imho. Great overtones in the sound.

Try a 43M or perhaps a 43.5M for all round Jazz and Commercial. The S cups are super as well but much brighter. I use an SM Custom with 692S backbore. Reeves C and B cups will pass for a more legit sound if needed, tho not renowned for this.

Lotus and Monette large throat mouthpieces dont really work for me, though I love the bigger tone you get. Monette B6 is a nice allrounder as it’s throat isn't too large.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves also makes a Classical Series. Different from Bach, Schilke, GR, Monette, etc.

Even though it didn't work for me, I thought the 6C that I have has some very positive playing characteristics: crisp attack, huge low register, open blow.

(If anyone wants the 6C, I'd let it go for a very reasonable price.)
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
The OP stated that he hasn't been playing for a while. The last thing I would recommend would be a newer style mouthpiece with big throats and back bores.

I don’t see how that’s relevant as to whether to recommend them or not. Similar to the 7C to 3C myth, you don’t ‘graduate’ to a ‘newer style mouthpiece’ either, and there’s no reason other than financial sensibility that someone couldn’t start on a big throat open backbore mouthpiece.

Irving wrote:
I never said that older styled mouthpieces are better. I won't argue with you if you say you prefer them. I said "newer doesn't mean better" and I stand by that. For me, and for the majority of players that don't use newer style mouthpieces. If newer style mouthpieces were decisively better, then by now, everybody would be using one. That isn't the case, and they have been around for 40 years.

You misunderstood what I meant to say. I’m not arguing that either is better or worse, all I’m saying is that new mouthpieces offer something that’s different, and that it depends on the player whether that difference is better, worse or irrelevant.

Sorry if I took your post to get up on my soapbox, but I’m getting a little tired of generic dismissal of modern mouthpieces. Some of us have had great result using them, and we should be allowed to share our experiences without scoffing or ridicule. They’re just as valid as anyone else’s.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
RC Horn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how far you are from Mesa, AZ, but Milano Music sells several brands of mouthpieces, including Lotus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: