• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thought for the Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thought for the Day Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
What you do the first ten minutes you put the mouthpiece on your face will determine how you sound the rest of the day.

When I read this the day it was posted, I almost put my 2 cents in immediately, but decided to let it ruminate for a while.

After actually focusing on the content and results of my own first 10 minute (or so) experience over many days; days that culminated into different playing demands including horns, mouthpieces, styles, and so many other variables, finally coming to a consensus of sorts, at least so far!

10 minutes? Not enough for my evaluation, and it doesn't necessarily occur at a specified time of day, life being what it is and everything. Consistency in my warm-up seems to be the key to everything that follows. I complete the entire process whether I am warmed up in the first few minutes or even if it takes the whole shebang (therein lies the foundation) and the total takes around 45 minutes (assuming no interruptions)! Gotta plan that time into my day, and very rarely does it not layout that way. I do have the advantage of being retired from my day gig for some while now, so I can and do take the necessary time. Everything else in my playing day is rooted on this perspective; Consistent results = consistent application.

Works for me! (so far)

Addendum: When I was a young man, often I would take the horn out of the case and away you go! Well that may have worked somewhat (as a child of the late 60s and early 70s, I'm a bit foggy on this point) but definitely not any more!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: