• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are the trumpet and bugle pitched the same?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrogard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Are the trumpet and bugle pitched the same? Reply with quote

I have some British army bugle calls. Quite a few of them have two staves presented for us: one marked 'trumpet' and one marked 'bugle'.
Sometimes an octave apart. Sometimes a sixth.
The bugle always higher.
What's the fundamental for each? The same or differs?
I asked GPT and first it told me they are an octave apart and then later denied it.
Gets pretty confusing sometimes, that thing. Just like the real world.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know in general, but my Getzen Field Trumpet has two slides. One to play in Bb and the other to play in G.
That's all I know about bugles.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the trumpet and bugle pitched the same? Reply with quote

abrogard wrote:
I have some British army bugle calls. Quite a few of them have two staves presented for us: one marked 'trumpet' and one marked 'bugle'.
Sometimes an octave apart. Sometimes a sixth.
The bugle always higher.
What's the fundamental for each? The same or differs?
I asked GPT and first it told me they are an octave apart and then later denied it.
Gets pretty confusing sometimes, that thing. Just like the real world.

Traditionally, American military bugles or field trumpets were pitched in G.

In other traditions and in other countries, bugles and signal trumpets were in different pitches. For example, cavalry trumpets used in many European militaries were pitched in low Eb.

Many manufacturers in the modern era sold bugles as natural field trumpets pitched in Bb, because most trumpeters are going to own a trumpet in Bb- that's the key they are used to.

tptptp points out that his Getzen field trumpet is in Bb, tuneable to the lower key in G. I guess Getzen made them that way as a concession to both modern practice and tradition.
abrogard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well do you think you could play it open into a music tuner such as, maybe, https://theonlinemetronome.com/instrument-tuner ?

when I play my trumpet open into that I get about 233 cps. As best I can hold steady. That's Bflat the tuner tells me. And that's what it should be.
And that's what I blow when I read middle C below the treble stave.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sound the bugle at Civil War living history events, where authenticity is important. I typically use a replica of an 1860s bugle. It is in “C” but it has a pigtail that is inserted to drop it to “Bb.” That’s for infantry. Artillery bugles appear to have typically been in “G” in that era.

Last edited by Speed on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bugles (which are technically field trumpets) traditionally used at Arlington for high-profile funerals are pitched in Bb. The standard “U.S. Regulation” and Boy Scout field trumpets are pitched in G.

The traditional British duty bugle is pitched in Bb, and the British cavalry trumpet is pitched in Eb. Even though some of the calls are written an octave apart, my guess is the book is intended for these two instruments.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this post, I thought to answer, depends on the trumpet and the bugle, and then add an explanation, but I see all I would explain has been well documented by other posters, so what they said.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: