• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Stork arrived today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterBighorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: A Stork arrived today Reply with quote

So, I gambled on a Stork 5D. I wasn't expecting to like this thing. Round, narrow rim. Semi-V cup. I thought it would hurt (my very thin lips) and kill my endurance. I bought their Studio Master VM6 last year and couldn't handle the pain. The high point was too close to the inner edge.

The 5D has a different rim entirely. It feels kinda small because the rim is so narrow, but it's actually around a Bach 6 / Yamaha 13 cup diameter. I like that size.

It doesn't hurt at all. I'm surprised. Excellent slotting and flexibility. Warms up nicely when I back off but really cuts when I push it. Endurance seems fine - it feels like I'm using less pressure with it.

I'm dedicating the next month or so to "breaking it in."
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not exactly "on topic," but I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed your choice of thread subject name. "A Stork arrived today" sounds so much like the title of a really important novel that it made me smile.

Who knows -- maybe you'll be the first person to win the Pulitzer Prize for an internet forum thread!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
This is not exactly "on topic," but I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed your choice of thread subject name.

+1. I smiled when I read it.

Also, nice to see that you like your new mouthpiece. Would love to read how well you like it after your 'breaking in' period.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be such a trumpet nerd.

I didn't imagine the alternative reading until I read Halflip's post.

I just thought, oh the guy got a new mouthpiece.
DOEL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fellow Stork enjoyer

I don't remember what turned me on to them but I've been a fan ever since for the past 5 or 6 years. I love the Vacchiano 4/Studio Master 6 rim with its inner high point as I'm a Bach 5 player. Not mention their cheap prices.

I've been through a lot of mouthpieces for C trumpet: Pickett 5C25CS, Vincent Bach Corp. 5C 23/24, GR 65VC, Curry 5BC, Denis Wick 5C, and others but for me Stork takes the cake. The V/C cup combination is lovely. It gets that V cup power and ease without that "blatty" feel mixed with the depth of a C cup. I just ordered a 4C+25C to try out.

Other than what's listed below I also have an XV6 for lead style stuff and wow it is an insane piece. It is *extremely* shallow but it doesn't really sound like it.
23 Eb/D Thomann ETR-3300S silver - Stork 4D+25C
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOEL!

I fully side with you concerning the Storks. Don´t know what it is in the design but my VM6 and VMS6 provide a HUGE sound, really broad spectrum warm and punchy if you step on the gas. I have compared them to my other mouthpieces (and they are many...)and no one provides the same sound quality.
I used the VM6 (to me better sound than the VMs) when playing lead - unfortunately the diameter is just too small for me; counting fractions of millimeters may seem silly but my lips do need 17 mm diameter.
hence the Schilke 14B.

But if Stork would manufacture them in 17 mm I´ll buy one! Straight ahead.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: