• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Getzen cornet for brass bands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlangor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Best Getzen cornet for brass bands Reply with quote

I am thinking about buying a Getzen Bb cornet for playing in a British-style brass band. Why? 20-25 year ago I played a Getzen (borrowed) and loved it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no stores where one can go to try a variety of cornets. They must be special ordered and you must buy it before a cornet is brought in. Thus, one has to rely on feedback from experienced people before placing an order and committing $1000s. For those of you with experience playing Getzen professional models (Custom, Eterna, Eterna Deluxe) in brass bands, especially on solo cornet parts and for solos, is there any concensus on which model is best, if any? I have also considered a Yamaha Neo based on a brief experience of testing one 8-9 years ago for 10 minutes (nice experience). I am not a fan of Besson. All advice/experiences are greatly appreciated.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Getzen cornet for brass bands Reply with quote

dlangor wrote:
I am thinking about buying a Getzen Bb cornet for playing in a British-style brass band. Why? 20-25 year ago I played a Getzen (borrowed) and loved it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no stores where one can go to try a variety of cornets. They must be special ordered and you must buy it before a cornet is brought in. Thus, one has to rely on feedback from experienced people before placing an order and committing $1000s. For those of you with experience playing Getzen professional models (Custom, Eterna, Eterna Deluxe) in brass bands, especially on solo cornet parts and for solos, is there any concensus on which model is best, if any? I have also considered a Yamaha Neo based on a brief experience of testing one 8-9 years ago for 10 minutes (nice experience). I am not a fan of Besson. All advice/experiences are greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum

I'd go for a Yamaha Neo personally, but I'm biased by owning one, and it is a great cornet in my opinion. I'm not a fan of Besson cornets either.

Regarding the Getzen's, I haven't personally played them, and they are not very common in the UK, but I've seen a few. It is definitely the Custom model you want in my opinion for brass banding. The Eterna and Eterna Deluxe although great cornets, are slightly more cross over models rather than full on brass band cornets in my opinion.

I've just re-read your question, and you say that you are looking for a cornet for solo cornet and solos. I'm a reasonably high level British Brass Band player with 28 years on Solo Cornet, around 12 on Principal Cornet, and also a cornet soloist. My preference is the Yamaha Neo with the yellow brass bell (mine is in lacquer). I feel that the yellow brass bell has a little more projection and brightness for solo cornet/solos. The Yamaha Xeno is almost identical, just without the gold brass leadpipe etc.(and taller main water key chimney). I own both. The Neo is just a little darker owing to a gold brass lead pipe, main tuning slide crook, and crook where the tubing enters the third valve. Both play the same and are great playing cornets in my opinion, but of course I have never met you, and have no idea of your instrument preferences, except that you have previously played a Neo which you liked, and like me, don't like the Besson models.

The Geneva Oldroyd Cardinal is nice also in my opinion. I also like the Bach 184, although in my opinion this is more of a concert band/military band cornet than a brass band cornet, although I play in a British Brass Band in which we use a matched set of them, so it does work in a British Brass band, but better when everyone is playing one. They don't blend that well in my opinion with the usual Bessons and Yamahas in my part of the world.
Take care and best wishes

I also like the Smith Watkins K2. That is really nice sounding cornet in my opinion.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen 800 Eterna is popular in brass bands in the USA. It is also fairly easy to find new or used, and easy to sell if you later determine that another model would work better for you.

As an aside, your mouthpiece will probably be at least as important as your horn. If you don't already have a cornet mouthpiece to help with the brass band sound you want, the line up from Denis Wick is a pretty good place to start.

Have fun!
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the pre-Neo 8335S Xeno cornet. Personally I thoroughly enjoy the sonorous sound that the Xeno gives. However, when I tried a friend’s 8335G (also pre-Neo), it sounded surprisingly brighter despite it having a gold brass bell. Apart from that, it was pretty in tune throughout most notes.

Unfortunately I’ve never tried the Neo so I can’t comment on that.

I also tried a Getzen Eterna Deluxe. I found the blow to be very tight and the sound is rather muted (i.e. no “ring” in the sound). It could well be a dog which I tried but that was my 10min opinion after trying it!

I agree with Dayton - the mouthpiece is very important! If Denis Wick is not easily available, give the Yamaha short shank mouthpieces a shot. Good luck!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:
I play the pre-Neo 8335S Xeno cornet. Personally I thoroughly enjoy the sonorous sound that the Xeno gives.

Yes, I completely agree.

However, when I tried a friend’s 8335G (also pre-Neo), it sounded surprisingly brighter despite it having a gold brass bell.

Really, that was not my perception when I tried them both.

Apart from that, it was pretty in tune throughout most notes.

Unfortunately I’ve never tried the Neo so I can’t comment on that.

The Neo is literally indentical to the Xeno and plays the same. I have checked with Yamaha regarding the differences and there are only the two I spotted. The Neo has a gold brass leadpipe, main tuning slide crook, and crook where the tubing enters the third slide (The Xeno has yellow brass in these areas like the rest of the cornet), and a longer main water key chimney. They are truly the only differences.

I have an 8335 Xeno (so yellow brass bell) in lacquer, and an 8335 Neo, also with the yellow brass bell in lacquer. I would say that the Neo sounds that little bit darker owing to the gold brass in these places, presumably in particularly having a gold brass leadpipe.

Like I said, they play the same, and are basically the same cornet. I bought my Neo, as my Xeno is old and was getting very tatty, so I literally had a spare.

I also tried a Getzen Eterna Deluxe. I found the blow to be very tight and the sound is rather muted (i.e. no “ring” in the sound). It could well be a dog which I tried but that was my 10min opinion after trying it!

I've tried an Eterna which played very well, as I would expect from Getzen, but it was on the bright side for a British Brass Band.

I agree with Dayton - the mouthpiece is very important! If Denis Wick is not easily available, give the Yamaha short shank mouthpieces a shot. Good luck!

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When considering Getzen cornets, I prefer the modern 3850 over the 800, but I’ve only played the older 800 model, not the new redesigned ones.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 1970 up to 2010 I played on a Getzen Eterna (LB), front row, in our brass band. The whole section played on Getzen. We were fortunate enough to enjoy some of the classical brass band directors from the UK but no one said anything with regards to the sound being too bright. From the beginning 1980s the Wicks arrived of course making the sound more, shall I say, muffled, darker.

During the years 2011-2022 I played on a Getzen 3850, as did our principal.
The difference vis-à-vis the Eterna can be summarized thus: requires more air, sound a bit rounder. Today I play on a Yamaha 6330II which reminds me of the Eterna. Probably a trifle more easy to play. A very good horn, Not that expensive.

Probably Louise´s Neo has a somewhat richer palette than my 6330II.
The Yamaha horns are very versatile, easy to play, well in tune.

But I regret that I sold my Eterna. A formidable horn, fantastic valves.

Ps When it comes to mouthpieces - Personally I cannot play on the classic Wicks; The Ultra series is a good compromise although I mostly play on a Schilke 143D3 - which has to be played "cornetty".
1970-2010 I played on a Vincent Bach 1 1/4 C. However it didn´t blend good enough with the others. At the time I must add. Today I do think that I could manage it better. "Development"!!

But the horns we are talking about are all very good horns - so the choice must be personal. If you want to buy a Getzen, do it!!!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several mentions of the 3850 Custom model and the 800DLX Eterna Deluxe model. Here is how I would compare them to the 800 Eterna.

Compared to the 800 Eterna, the 3850 Custom has a sound that is warmer and broader, and a more open blow. The 3850 lacks a bit of the nimbleness and projection of the 800 Eterna. Worth noting that the 3850 also comes standard with triggers, which some players regard as a big plus.

The 800DLX fits somewhere in between the 800 Eterna and the 3850 Custom. The sound is a bit warmer than the 800, the projection is a bit better than the 3850, and it has the nimbleness of the 800. The blow is also a bit tighter than the 3850.

Again, just my impressions.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Brass band cornet Reply with quote

Hi:
When I first traveled to London I was impressed by how many natives there played Getzen Eternas. Also, Phil Smith played one. I decided if Getzens were good enough for those guys they were good enough for me. At that time Eterna 800s were top of the line and cost $400.00 (!) I also own an Eterna C cornet which I used for orchestra playing. (Berlioz, Gilbert and Sullivan, Prokofiev)
LCM
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a 3850 and a Capri in Brass bands. They are perfectly suitable, but I found both of them a little "bright" for hymns and more lyrical pieces....good for marches though.

All things being equal, I'd go for a Neo over any of the Getzens - they are a great Brass Band cornet, and very easy to play. Not sure what pricing is like in the States, but here in OZ they are great value for money too.

Enjoy the journey!

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to try the Getzen 800DLX. I'll admit I want one just because it looks so cool!

My Getzen Capri cornet gets a fairly sweet sound. I use two different mouthpieces--a Warburton 4MD with an 8 backbore for stuff requiring agility and a 4D with a 10 backbore for a darker sound. I know it's an "intermediate" cornet but it doesn't play like one.

I haven't done any brass band playing so I don't know how it would fit in that situation but I think mouthpiece choice probably has more effect on the sound than anything else.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to try the Getzen 800DLX. I'll admit I want one just because it looks so cool!

Fantastic horn. Looks great and plays even better. I've had mine for over two years now. Love the sound and am really impressed with its versatility.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Getzen 800. Such a great value. Go with that, if you can find one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: