• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

This is a STUDENT band!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: This is a STUDENT band! Reply with quote

University of North Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ9seqSZyI0

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a STUDENT band! Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

University of North Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ9seqSZyI0

Impressive. Two guys I went to high school with are North Texas alums. Last I heard one is in the Houston area and plays bone with the Houston Jazz Orchestra.
One of the principals I worked for has a daughter who was in the one o'clock band on bone. I think she's in one of the pit bands on Broadway.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT's One O'Clock Lab Band is one of the very best. So much fun to listen to. On the topic of student ensembles, check out the Essentially Ellington high school performances. Wow!
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like posting a clip of the Georgia Bulldogs and saying "This is a STUDENT football team!"
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a graduate jazz studies major at UNT from 1987-1991, spending most of my time in the 4:00 Lab Band (4th of 9 big bands there at the time). The depth in the program was amazing. The 4:00 bands I played in were better than any "professional" band I'd played with to that point.

I finally made it into the 3:00 band during my last semester and I count myself very lucky to have made it that far. The band was almost flawless, and it was mind-boggling that there were still two more bands even better than that.

Even the lowest level lab bands there would be coveted by most college jazz band directors. I remember you had to look to at least the 6:00 band before you could find a lead trumpet player without a high A that would break glass. And there were outstanding jazz soloists in every section of every band.

Though later circumstances with health and finances caused me to leave the music business, I will never forget my time there and what I learned. I would recommend UNT to any serious music student, jazz or classical.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning but deflating, too, because the level of musicianship is so beyond me. These guys are from some other galaxy.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was always so. Waaay back in the day, the big national big band competition was the Notre Dame Jazz Festival. The UNT One O'clock won so many times that, eventually, they were barred from competing.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tight band! Reposted on SOTW.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
And it was always so. Waaay back in the day, the big national big band competition was the Notre Dame Jazz Festival. The UNT One O'clock won so many times that, eventually, they were barred from competing.

At the 1989 Wichita Jazz Festival, the 4:00 band entered the competition and won, beating out some pretty impressive (to me, at least) university big bands. The 2:00 band was also there but they were the exhibition band!

I met Rich Matteson a couple of years before I went to North Texas. He told about a time when Buddy Rich came to UNT for a jazz festival and the various lab bands were playing. The 2:00 band came on, and Buddy asked Rich what band that was. When he replied that it was the 2:00 band, Buddy argued with him and said that had to be the 1:00 because they were so good. Finally, Rich M threw up his hands and said "fine, it's the 1:00." An hour or two later the actual 1:00 band came on and Buddy was completely blown away. Before he took the stage with his own band, he told his guys they'd better play their ****s off because if they didn't, "I know where I can get a band."
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

At the 1989 Wichita Jazz Festival, the 4:00 band entered the competition and won, beating out some pretty impressive (to me, at least) university big bands. The 2:00 band was also there but they were the exhibition band!

I met Rich Matteson a couple of years before I went to North Texas. He told about a time when Buddy Rich came to UNT for a jazz festival and the various lab bands were playing. The 2:00 band came on, and Buddy asked Rich what band that was. When he replied that it was the 2:00 band, Buddy argued with him and said that had to be the 1:00 because they were so good. Finally, Rich M threw up his hands and said "fine, it's the 1:00." An hour or two later the actual 1:00 band came on and Buddy was completely blown away. Before he took the stage with his own band, he told his guys they'd better play their ****s off because if they didn't, "I know where I can get a band."

Wow what a story!

True talent can go unnoticed ... see how few (5.4K) views and replies (9) did the above video of 1:00 band get on Youtube.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went there the first time, Lou Marini, Billy Harper, Larry Ford, Bill Stapleton, Dan Harle, to name a few, were my classmates. High standards!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic.....they were all beyond outstanding...but the bone players amazed me the most...I have never seen slides move so fast
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lou Marini, Blue Lou or his dad?
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Lou of Blues Brothers fame. I'm not old enough to be his dad's contemporary, LOL. Their first year in the One O'clock Lou Jr. may have been a freshman as was Larry Ford. Drummer Ed Soph may have been, too. Scary.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Blue Lou of Blues Brothers fame. I'm not old enough to be his dad's contemporary, LOL. Their first year in the One O'clock Lou Jr. may have been a freshman as was Larry Ford. Drummer Ed Soph may have been, too. Scary.

Blue Lou adjudicated a jazz festival I took my students to last year. He was so kind and gracious toward a bunch of novice high school jazzers.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was studying trumpet, eons ago, I would always engage in conversation with my teacher about who was going to be the next Charlie Parker, Phil Woods, Clifford Brown or Maynard Ferguson. All these years later my answer has changed and I think the question should as well. UNT and many other institutions have mentored many a fine musician. This video is an example of the level of excellence that is out there. Maybe the question now should be “ who are the 1,000’s of people that are going to see these fine musicians ?” Great job UNT !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: