• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clarke Elementary Studies, Claude Gordon Physical Approachï¿

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Clarke Elementary Studies, Claude Gordon Physical Approachï¿ Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

2 months into comeback from playing 2+ years, 30 years ago…

I’ve started in earnest on the Clarke Elementary book and just ordered Claude Gordon’s Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing. YouTube has recordings of the Clarke exercises to keep me straight if need be.

I’m practicing a couple times a day for at least an hour total. So far it seems progress is good and I haven’t really pursued looking for a teacher. I record myself from time to time- not so much lately because I have a sense when it’s feeling and sounding good, or not.

I have the Rubank elementary book as well but haven’t used it much.

Are there any other books to recommend? I’d actually like to find a book with simple, familiar songs or hymns(?) to play, but it may be(?) too early for that with the level of my ease of range and articulation at this point.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do google searches for

concone trumpet lyric pdf

and

trumpet real fake pdf
---
you'll find some downloadable files.

Download to your computer, and just print the pages that interest you.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be using Gordon's "Physical Approach," you'll need St. Jacome's "Grand Method" once you get to lesson 6. The St. Jacome lessons that accompany each lesson in "Physical Approach" would replace what you are practicing in Clarke's "Elementary Studies."

Alternatively, you could practice from "Physical Approach" and pair it with David Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons," which in my opinion covers the bases better than either "Elementary Studies" or the St. Jacome lessons assigned in "Physical Approach."

As for what else to add, I'd suggest an intro book of flexibility studies such as Lowell Little's "Embouchure Builder."

Edit: You asked about a book with simple, familiar songs. Give Eric Bolvin's "The Really Big Student Song Book" a try. It is a great beginner's resource.

Welcome back to trumpet playing!
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful Jay and Dayton, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: