• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suggestion for Wide Rim Flugel Mpc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Suggestion for Wide Rim Flugel Mpc Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a small taper (i.e. Bach taper) flugel mouthpiece with a wide rim? Something like a Bach 1X width or something where the high point is further outside? In terms of diameter, i play something in the Bach 2C ballpark.

As a baseline, i play a Giddings mouthpiece with the Hickman rim, specc’d to approximately size 2 (but feels much larger because of the further-out high point found in Hickman’s rim profile).

Also, does anyone know if Yamaha makes a small taper version of their flugelhorn mouthpieces? Cheers!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Venture Mouthpieces already appears to have a scan of the Hickman rim, your best bet might be to approach them about a custom flugelhorn mouthpiece with that rim and a Bach shank. Of course, you would still have to decide on a cup/throat/backbore combination that would best meet your needs. If you have played a flugel piece that you like (rim aside), you could have Venture copy its cup/throat/backbore and scale the cup to match the Hickman rim. Otherwise, you need to decide on a workable tone/endurance/range compromise. Generally, flugel pieces with deep cups, larger throats, and big backbores result in a rich, mellow tone, but somewhat shallower cups with smaller throats and backbores give better endurance and range.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Neill Sanders 17 rim which the Hickman was patterned after. There is no $80 stock mouthpiece rim that is similar. You will need to do a custom order if you want to come close to matching the rim.

These makers may have the Hickman rim - they do have the Neill Sanders 17 rim for sure,

https://www.meeuwsenmouthpieces.com/

https://james-r-new.com/mouthpieces/

Vennture has the Hickman rim
https://www.vennture.mp/product/custom-mouthpiece/

Oh - you might be able to use a Wedge but they are as expensive as a custom piece.
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Halflip! I forgot to mention that the Giddings mouthpiece in my earlier post are custom works made for my trumpet and cornet use. I’m on the fence to approach Giddings to make a custom piece for flugelhorn as I don’t expect as much mileage on my flugelhorn as I do for the trumpet and cornet. So actually I’m looking for more stock options like a Yamaha.

While I’d prefer a little wider rim on my Yamaha 14F4, it generally still feels alright for me. Unfortunately i don’t think it comes in small taper….
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What flugelhorn do you play?

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the Schilke 14F4 -- Schilke's flugel pieces come with the Bach taper as standard.

When I look at the Schilke 14A4A and Yamaha 14A4A rims on the Unofficial Mouthpiece Comparator, they look very close. The Schilke might be a hair less flat.

JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry has developed a universal Flugelhorn mouthpiece shank that will accommodate Bach (small morse taper), Yamaha (large morse taper), and French (straight taper) Flugelhorn mouthpiece receivers:

https://www.currympc.com/Flugelhorn-Mouthpieces.html

For a chart of Curry rim measurements in inches, millimeters, and 64th's, see here and scroll down:

https://www.currympc.com/Trumpet-Standard-Series-.html

For a comparison of Curry flugelhorn mouthpiece tapers, see here and click right arrow:

https://www.currympc.com/Mouthpiece-Overlays.html
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies! I’ll be sure to check out your suggestions!

For more context, I used to play Jupiter and Getzen Eterna flugelhorns which my college had. Thereafter, I got to loan my friend’s Yamaha 631 for a small gig. So my experiences with flugels all had large taper - hence the Yamaha 14F4 mouthpiece I have.

I am in the process of receiving a Scodwell flugel through Washington Music Center. Lee from Washington Music Center informed me that Scodwell flugels requires a Bach taper mouthpiece and that there is no additional leadpipe for a large taper mouthpiece (a pity!). Hence my quest for a Bach taper mouthpiece with a wide rim.
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - two piece plastic top and brass shank - any shank style you want for about $160

Something from the Wedge 68 series - maybe the 67. I play the Neill Sanders 17M - I could play a Wedge if I could not get a Sanders. The Wedge puts all of the pressure on the top and bottom lips - 12 and 6 o'clock

https://wedgemouthpiece.com/flugelhorn-tops
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy!

I just wish to update that my Scodwell flugel arrived with 2 leadpipes for the small and large tapers. Perhaps it was a late inclusion by Mr Scodwell or perhaps it was a miscommunication. Regardless, i am very happy that I can use the 14F4 that I have!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: