• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What part of the Mouthpiece most greatly affects focus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountVernon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: What part of the Mouthpiece most greatly affects focus? Reply with quote

I'm curious if I want to make my mouthpiece more open, without the sound spreading, is it the throat that I want to keep the same?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Frost threaded backbores and have a #28 throat at this time, then order the #27 throat in the same backbore. Do not have your present #28 modified.
MountVernon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know it's not my throat that needs to be the same, and the backbore opened?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountVernon wrote:
how do you know it's not my throat that needs to be the same, and the backbore opened?

Larger backbores usually lead to more spread in the sound - depends on the design - but the place to start is a larger throat.

I played Tottles for many years - stock throat was a #28. Increasing the size of the backbore lead to more spread.

Oh - there is another way to open the blow of your horn that is reversible - purchase a main tuning slide with a larger internal diameter. I've done this several times.

https://www.mkdrawing.com/sr-series-tuning-slide/
Stay with brass and the same bow shape as your present slide unless you want to change more than the resistance.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What part of the Mouthpiece most greatly affects focus? Reply with quote

MountVernon wrote:
I'm curious if I want to make my mouthpiece more open, without the sound spreading, is it the throat that I want to keep the same?

In my limited experience with 2 versions of a modular backbore (with the same throat) for my mouthpiece, I've found that a slightly smaller backbore adds a little resistance, but also makes the sound a bit more 'compact', i.e. less full. And then there's the effect on intonation in the lower and upper registers of course. Then again, I also have a shallow cup with a much, much narrower backbore (still the same throat) that feels just as 'open' when I play it. My hunch is that the backbore is balanced with the cup. Not sure if any of that's helpful.

I'm not entirely sure that's what you mean by 'spreading' though.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
MountVernon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focused sound as in, no air in the sound, very pure.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play AR resonance with a 40 (i.e. 4 mm) throat and have basically played all backbores from 40XS to 40L and 40L Classical. The XS provides a very focused and dense sound and I sometimes tend to overshoot notes. The larger the backbores get, the broader the sound gets.

I pretty much agree with stuartissimo in that the density of sound (and the slotting to some extent) are affected but the XS backbore is by no means tight. It still blows quite open.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
MountVernon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, am I looking to open the throat or the backbore?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountVernon wrote:
Focused sound as in, no air in the sound, very pure.

------------------------------------
So the real question seems to be 'what aspect of a mouthpiece would cause air in the sound?', or cause 'lack of sound purity'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing what mouthpiece you actually play would be a big help. In looking over your past posts it would seem that you are using a Frost 5 or 6 TF - trumpet flugelhorn mouthpiece. It might be the TC model, but since you said the cup was like a Bach 5V - the TF would be closer.

Here is the Curry TF in 3C size compared to a Bach 5V. The Frost is probably similar

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA4580002&mpc2id=VB005700&backcolor=blue

It should be marked on the mouthpiece - something like 5TF or 6TF.

The Frost TF would have a proprietary backbore matched up with a throat size appropriate to the cup. (I don't see how he managed to get a Flugel cup to play with a #28 throat.)

The Backbore is shorter since with a cup that deep, the horn would play flat with a standard length backbore.

If this is the mouthpiece, it was designed to play the way it does. You would need to contact Frost to modify it but it would be hard to say what it would play like after modification.

If you want a different sound why not try something like a Bach 6. Nice medium dark, focused sound with a lot of core. You can bore the throats out on a Bach with out doing much damage. It would also not be a big deal to have one cut and threaded for backbores.
ek1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, keeping the backbore the same but opening the throat will only provide more core to the sound. If this same route is overdone, intonation (and stamina) will suffer.

EK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: