• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a 35 years old yamaha 6345, not using it for 20 years.
Last week I started playing with it with the Bach mpc my old teacher told me to buy, after than I tried the yamaha 7C mpc that came with the horn.
Even not been the 7c my diameter, the yamaha mpc worked great with the yamaha trumpet, lot better than the Bach mpc.

I just buyed a yamaha artist model, after try it with the yamaha 17B that comes with the horn, I tried it with my GR 3M and GR 3MX mpc. Even not been the yamaha 17 my diameter , the trumpet works A LOT better with the yamaha 17B than with the GR mouthpieces.
With the GR mouthpieces works good, with the yamaha mpc works GREAT.

So my point is, using a mpc same brand as the trumpet, at least in the case of yamaha, seems to be a huge advantage.
It makes sense, engineers can make a mpc that perfectly first their trumpets, but if someone design a mpc for " all trumpets " it can not be perfect for any different horn.

So I am going to sell my GR's, and buy Yamaha mouthpieces, not because " are better" than the GR mouthpieces but just cause yamaha mouthpieces work better than the GR's in a Yamaha trumpet.

Playing a trumpet brand that also design mpc, or a mpc that also design trumpets, seems to be a huge advantage .
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with "mouthpiece/receiver" gap. Yamahas are a bit different -still many players do just fine playing them with a different brand mouthpiece.

You could use any brand mouthpiece if you were willing to have the mouthpiece converted to Reeves sleeves to adjust the gap.

Yamaha mouthpieces are very well made and relatively inexpensive. There are even symphonic (artist) models available if you need them. Glad you found a Yamaha that works for you.

You might want to try the Yamaha 14B4, 14C4, and Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpieces if you want something smaller.
This is the 66 series but similar size.
https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA0065730&mpc2id=VB913448&backcolor=blue
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Yes, it could be the gap, I don’t really know for sure.

And yes, there could be a solution, partial or complete solution.

I never tried reeves sleeves, thank you.

Exactly, I will buy a 14 diameter yamaha.

What I mean is, if you don’t want to make things complicated, just buy a mpc same brand than the trumpet or be ready for making a lot of expensive mistakes.

I don’t say GR mouthpieces are bad.

A mouthpiece designer that knows in which trumpet brand and/or model his mouthpiece is going to be used has a HUGE advantage. A brand that makes trumpets and also mouthpieces has a huge advantage from an engineering point of view.

That makes me think also about mpc makers who say their mpc are always the best, for any trumpet brand and model.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go a Google search for Yamaha trumpets and mouthpiece gap

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141180

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1122117

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1682707

You are not alone.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the first one is very interesting.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
So my point is, using a mpc same brand as the trumpet, at least in the case of yamaha, seems to be a huge advantage.

So I am going to sell my GR's, and buy Yamaha mouthpieces

This isn't really the case. It just so happens that the Yamaha 17B4 is a better match for your playing than the GRs. It has nothing to do with brand to brand compatibility.

I wouldn't make any buying or selling decisions based on a faulty conclusion.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
This isn't really the case. It just so happens that the Yamaha 17B4 is a better match for your playing than the GRs. It has nothing to do with brand to brand compatibility.

^^^^^^^^^

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

^^^^^^^^^

+2. I have tried Olds mouthpieces with my Olds instruments and suffice it so say, I didn't prefer them over the ones I'm playing now.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo, i tried a chocolate ice cream and did not like it, and that does not mean that i dont like ANY chocolate ice cream.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet, the yamaha 17B has a Rim, diameter and cup i am not used to, and i am playing it just 2 days.
The GR 3M has the diameter and rim i am used to and i played it for YEARS.

I dont agree with you.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first Andy Cooper Link, (Thanks Andy !) B. Scriver says:

" GR will be offering two shanks with the new Eric Miyashiro Series GR Mouthpieces; .385" and .387". We are just working out how many of each for the first run with Eric! "

abontrumpet, probably you did not read that link.

Answering ScottA:

" Lou,
Not sure I have an answer for your question but I have been waiting for someone to bring up the gap issue on the new Chicago models.

For whatever reason Yamaha changed the mouthpiece receiver position rather drastically on the new Chicago. (At least on the Bb, I have not checked a C) The first generation usually required the GR pieces to have a slightly larger shank (.388) for the best gap for me which was about .150-160. The 2nd generation is the exact opposite and the same shank will create a gap of slightly over .200". That is a considerable change. A standard Bach is measuring close to .150 on my Chicago. I sent an inquiry to Wayne Tanabe but I did not receive a reply. In the past I have found the folks at Yamaha somewhat hesitant to discuss gap issues for some reason.

FWIW- I have not found any huge draw back to playing with the very large gap. Upper register is a bit more work but slotting, pitch and articulations have seemed fine. Anyone else have experience playing with a larger than normal gap? The piece I have been using is quite deep--a GR E65VB with a #3 backbore."

Louise Finch

" Thank you very much for your reply. I totally agree with the above part of your post, and just cannot get a Bach mouthpiece to work for me on my Yamaha trumpet, unless sleeved to insert like a Yamaha mouthpiece.
"
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i am asking myself one question now, it is really possible to make one mpc that PERFECTLY fits for example a Bach and ALSO a Yamaha trumpet ? or is just technically impossible ?
ek1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Yamaha works great with Yamaha.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
abontrumpet, the yamaha 17B has a Rim, diameter and cup i am not used to, and i am playing it just 2 days.
The GR 3M has the diameter and rim i am used to and i played it for YEARS.

I dont agree with you.

That can happen when a new mouthpiece is a better fit. So, I still agree with me.

It's like saying: I have been wearing the same shoe size (41) for years and years, but I tried on a new pair of shoes (43) and they were much more comfortable. But I have been using the smaller shoes for years and so therefore those MUST have been the right ones for me. Makes little sense.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:

" GR will be offering two shanks with the new Eric Miyashiro Series GR Mouthpieces; .385" and .387". We are just working out how many of each for the first run with Eric! "

abontrumpet, probably you did not read that link.

I read the link and played GR mouthpieces for years. The thing is: you tried two completely different mouthpieces and are attributing the success of one to be tied to a single, potentially insignificant, factor. Your experiment, from a # of variables standpoint, does not pass the test.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
So, i am asking myself one question now, it is really possible to make one mpc that PERFECTLY fits for example a Bach and ALSO a Yamaha trumpet ? or is just technically impossible ?

kerouack wrote:

" GR will be offering two shanks with the new Eric Miyashiro Series GR Mouthpieces; .385" and .387". ... " ...

--------------------
It appears that GR thought 'not possible'
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Andy Cooper is saying.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add more information.

I am not playing the GR mouthpiece for years, cause i changed to AR mouthpiece. But both have same rim size more or less so i am used to that rim.

What i finally did is buying 3 Yamaha mpcs of the rim size i use, a B cup, for orchestral playing, a C cup for "usual" modern trumpet playing and a E cup for a " Dave Douglas " sound.

Also Yamaha mpcs have good price.

I am very happy with my decision.

I am selling my GR mouthpieces not because they are bad, but because i think the Yamaha mpcs are a better fit for my actyual Yamaha artist model trumpet.
In fact i think my GR mouthpieces worked GREAT in my Eclipse trumpet, cause Bruce Lee from Northern Brass went to the Eclipse factory and participated in the leadpipe receiver design of my Eclipse trumpet, knowing that i would use GR mouthpieces and bringing some GR mpcs with him to UK.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
I am selling my GR mouthpieces not because they are bad, but because i think the Yamaha mpcs are a better fit for my actyual Yamaha artist model trumpet.

A different mouthpiece can be a better fit on a different instrument. So this conclusion is solid.

However, it has nothing to do with the name stamped on the side of the mouthpiece. This conclusion is faulty.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for you, the fact that I like better the yamaha mpc than a GR or Bach mpc for a Yamaha horn is just a coincidence, could be the oposite. I am not sure 100% but I think I don't agree. I don't think that is a coincidence. I don't mean that EVERYBODY will prefer the yamaha mpc for the yamaha horn, but at the same time I don't think that what I see is a coincidence.

The GR owner wrote in the TH in another thread that he was going to do a GR mpc a little different to create a different GAP I think for a Yamaha horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: