• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water/moisture outside/on Reverse Leadpipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Water/moisture outside/on Reverse Leadpipe Reply with quote

Hello Folks

My Bach 37 that was converted to a reverse leadpipe gets water on or outside the leadpipe, on the portion that’s inserted into the tuning slide. Droplets of water are visible on top of the grease on the leadpipe when the tuning slide is pulled out farther than its normal position.

The conversion was done by a reputable tech before I got the horn. It doesn’t seem to cause any problems, other than that I might wipe off and reapply the grease more often, but is it normal? I wouldn’t think the fit between leadpipe and tuning slide should be any more snug than it is, but I don’t know.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not normal. Usually, the grease gets wet if there is overly loose fit of the tuning slide tubes. There might also be a pinhole leak in solder, in the lower leg of the tuning slide, or in the matching tube leading to the third valve.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a thicker grease, such as Ultra Pure Heavy Tuning Slide Lube, and see what happens. Good luck!
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
This is not normal. Usually, the grease gets wet if there is an overly loose fit of the tuning slide tubes. There might also be a pinhole leak in the solder, in the lower leg of the tuning slide, or on the matching tube leading to the third valve.

+1

I have seen slides excessively lapped in where there is a lot of clearance between the inner and outer tubes—causing condensation and frequencies to seep out through the general section of tubing. Thicker grease (as Dayton mentioned), slide oil, or slide gel works well as a good get-me-by/temporary fix, especially in cases where there is a lot of clearance.

Off from what etc-etc said too: if there is a pinhole leak through the solder, that can be a result of a few things. It can relate to the solder not properly filling around the ferrule holding the inner tube to the leadpipe due to the part not being properly prepped or cleaned before soldering. This results in the flux not allowing for the solder to effectively flow around the ferrule and provide a good seal because of any leftover remnants of dirt or grime still on the part. Another reason can relate to not using enough solder, or not enough flux (to allow for the solder to flow effectively into the ferrule, etc.).

There can also be discussions on what type of solder and what type of flux is being used for different types of repairs, but I won't go into deeper detail on that here (for the sake of keeping on track with the thread).

I hope this helps.

Best,

I am driven to work generously in the service of others' musical creativity.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got the horn, I used one of those inexpensive grease sticks (that looks and is applied like ChapStick). That, along with Bach slide grease were supplied in the trumpet case… I’m pretty sure the grease stick was what was on the leadpipe when I got the horn, and I don’t recall seeing water then.

After I bathed the horn a couple months ago, I bought Schilke slide grease (having forgotten I had Bach grease) because the grease stick would cake up after moving the slide. I think with the Schilke grease is when I noticed the water. After that I cleaned the area and applied the Bach grease, which also didn't prevent water.

Looking at it just now, after reassembling the horn last night after another full bath and dry, and playing for 20 minutes or so, pulling out the slide, I barely see a bit of water. Could it just be normal condensation?
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else care to weigh in on this before I contact the tech to ask about it?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove all slides except the tuning slide.

Use a piece of string to secure the tuning slide to the trumpet body and prevent the tuning slide from falling out. Hold the trumpet with the bell pointing down, without the mouthpiece.

Use a small funnel to help with filling the leadpipe with water. You can also fill the leadpipe directly if the water stream is reasonably narrow.

Alternatively, you can fill water from the bell using a pitcher and stop the water flow from the leadpipe with your index finger once a continuous water flow is established. Then, rotate the trumpet to point the bell down. With this method, however, some water will flow out of the bell once you flip the trumpet.

Once the leadpipe is completely filled with water, wipe off the trumpet and tuning slide body. Wait to see if any water is leaking - it should not, but given the past history, it will.

Adjust the tuning slide to your usual playing position and further out. See if the leak gets worse.

See if you can detect the exact point from which the water is leaking. It may be inside and not visible.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Anyone else care to weigh in on this before I contact the tech to ask about it?

I'd say, don't panic. You said previously that you believe that Charlie Melk converted your trumpet to a reversed leadpipe. If so, although no one is perfect, I think that having been done by Charlie Melk would make a lot of the suggested reasons unlikely.

I would suggest sticking to the slide grease that you have been using that allows this problem to happen, photographing it when it does happen, and asking Charlie Melk's opinion. It would be interesting to confirm from him that he was indeed the person who worked on your trumpet.

Like I said before, please don't panic.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
See if you can detect the exact point from which the water is leaking. It may be inside and not visible.

Smart experiment etc-etc!
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word from on high is the water seepage usually isn’t a problem unless the slide is really loose, which it is not. Comment that Bach reverse leadpipes are not the best in that area (not sure exactly what is meant by that).
Recommendation to use a heavier grease.

I did reply when I had the tuning slide half out a couple weeks ago it fell 2 feet to the laminate floor but I couldn’t detect any damage. I’m pretty sure that happened well after I noticed water seepage though.

This horn does ‘gurgle’ more noticeably than seems normal, where it wants release of water. I don’t notice it with the Olds Ambassador I got last week as a back-up, and don’t remember it with the old standard leadpipe Strad I had 30 years ago. Maybe in the small space I practice in I’m holding the bell pointed too low?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 37 non-reversed leadpipe that had seepage on the upper leg of the tuning slide. I had a tech expand the leg’s tubing slightly which remedied the issue.

This turned out to be very controversial on the forum. I personally didn’t notice any change after the fix. YMMV
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your playing environment (studio, practice space, gig venue, etc.) might be on the chilly/colder (temps) side.

Am wondering (?) if the situation you are experiencing might not occur in a warmer playing environment.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I had a 37 non-reversed leadpipe that had seepage on the upper leg of the tuning slide. I had a tech expand the leg’s tubing slightly which remedied the issue.

This turned out to be very controversial on the forum. I personally didn’t notice any change after the fix. YMMV

I also had once upon a time the tuning slide expanded to take up the slack / loose fit. Within a few days, it reverted back to its original loose state (most likely, metal memory).
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo earlier statements I’d definitely reach out to the tech if it was just worked on. Another temporary fix is using a thicker slide grease that won’t thin as much due to the horn getting warm as you play and extra condensation. I bought the thick Hetman TSG before I got the leadpipe replaced on my horn which had a looser than normal tuning slide and that did the trick.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.D. Heckathorn wrote:
To echo earlier statements I’d definitely reach out to the tech if it was just worked on. Another temporary fix is using a thicker slide grease that won’t thin as much due to the horn getting warm as you play and extra condensation. I bought the thick Hetman TSG before I got the leadpipe replaced on my horn which had a looser than normal tuning slide and that did the trick.

Thanks.

By “Word from on high” posted above I was referring to comments from the tech who converted the horn to reverse leadpipe. In my case the tuning slide and leadpipe have a snug fit… I did try again stick grease and the water is less, and have Ultra Pure Heavy slide grease on order.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Your playing environment (studio, practice space, gig venue, etc.) might be on the chilly/colder (temps) side.

Am wondering (?) if the situation you are experiencing might not occur in a warmer playing environment.

By the way, this is a possibility. I generally store the horn on top of the case that sits on carpeted floor, and it always feels cold when I pick it up.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Try a thicker grease, such as Ultra Pure Heavy Tuning Slide Lube, and see what happens. Good luck!

Thanks to all, and especially Dayton.

Checking a few days after having applied it, Ultra-Pure Heavy slide oil seems to have done the trick.
No water seeping between the tuning slide and reverse leadpipe.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisiting this issue:

Water again showing up on the reverse leadpipe even using Ultra-Pure Heavy slide lube. For the first couple weeks using the heavier grease I thought the problem was mostly solved, but the horn seemed to ‘clog up’ while playing last night. I pulled the slide out all the way, saw water droplets on the leadpipe as a big drop of water came out of the leadpipe, reinserted it and it played fine. I had cleaned the outer section of the leadpipe and re-applied grease just a few days ago.

I’m told water between slide tubes should in no way affect playability but that I should have the tubes tightened up, which seems like a contradiction. The other 4 horns I’ve ever owned never ‘gurgled’ while playing to the extent blowing through with water key opened didn’t clear the horn. None of those horns were reverse leadpipe. The fit of leadpipe to tuning slide on this Bach seems snug to me, but it’s not smooth and easy as my Olds Ambassador, just funky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: