• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3C with Smaller rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teepy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I am making the switch from a Bach 7c to a 3c, but I do not like the rim size on the Bach 3c, as it is too big. Is there a 3C with a smaller rim?

Last edited by teepy on Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 7C and 3C that you are trying both Bach mouthpieces?

When you say "smaller rim" do you mean the Inside Diameter of the rim or how wide the rim is from the inside bite to the outside of the rim.?
teepy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Are the 7C and 3C that you are trying both Bach mouthpieces?

When you say "smaller rim" do you mean the Inside Diameter of the rim or how wide the rim is from the inside bite to the outside of the rim.?

I believe it would be how wide the rim is from the inside bite to the outside of the rim! sorry for the confusion!
E_Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 5C is supposed to be the middle ground between the two. It's got a narrow, rounded rim while still being arguably more forgiving than a 7C. Its alpha angle makes it feel smaller than it really is. Might be worth a try

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a cup close to the 3C rather than the 7C, you might want to try a Stork 3C or 4C.

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA001700&mpc2id=VB051902&backcolor=blue

As mentioned - the Bach 5C is a possibility

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA001700&mpc2id=VB002200&backcolor=blue

Totally different cup but a nice symphonic style sound.

Depending on the year, there can be a good bit of variation in Bach sizes. Different rim contours can affect your evaluation of size too.

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

teepy wrote:
... I am making the switch from a Bach 7c to a 3c, ...

-----------------------------
How long have you been using the 3C?
Several people on TH say that it can take several weeks to really get accustomed to a new mouthpiece, and unless there are major problems such as lip injury, you should just continue practicing to get the best sound and playing results with the new mpc.

Is there a problem with the rim size of the 7C?
I use a Bach 7 (no letter) that has a deeper cup than a 7C, the deeper cup 'should' give tone that is less bright than the C cup. I can play on a 7C, but prefer the tone with a 7.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

You might try Steve Dillard at the Horn Trader - he makes a mouthpiece that to me feels smaller than a 3C but it’s based on Arturo’s old 3C. HT3C - I think he offers a few different configurations.

teepy wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am making the switch from a Bach 7c to a 3c, but I do not like the rim size on the Bach 3c, as it is too big. Is there a 3C with a smaller rim?

1952 Martin Committee #2
1941 Martin Handcraft Committee #2
1964 The Martin Committee Deluxe L
1937 Martin Imperial Handcraft
2019 Bach Stradivarius 72 MLV
1937 King Master Cornet
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

teepy wrote:
Hey everyone!

The Bach 7C is a bigger mouthpiece than the Bach 3C. The only one that is close is the 3C Artisan.

3C in white, 7C in green.

The rim geometry will determine how it feels on the chops. The 7C might feel smaller due to the narrower rim and the bite and high point being closer together.

To address your problem you need to consider the problem at hand and approach logically.

You might prefer the narrower rim and profile of the 7C and the 3C cup - which is understandable, the 7C is a massive toilet bowl of a cup for a C cup, and the 3C is the shallowest of the C cups. It will play easier. Therefore create yourself a 3C with a 7C rim, would take minutes in VennCAD. If you are in Europe I can print you a resin prototype to try at small outlay. In USA contact Vennture directly.

You might want a narrower 3C - despite it being narrower than a 7C already, you might be getting along with that geometry and just want it to be smaller ID - this is the boat I am in, so I play on gear I designed to address this issue.

Here are 3 Bach 3C's against one another:

Again to reiterate - the 7C could easily be called a B cup and a much larger ID number, but the Bach numbering system doesn't exactly tally. How they derive the ID I have no idea. Nothing I have seen measured matches the catalog.

I sketched a 3C with a 7C rim below. You can see the remarkably smaller volume the 3C has, even when scaled wider to match the ID of the 7C rim and blend correctly.

If you want the .mpc file just DM, you can have it.

Here is a great video on the subject by a friend: Rich Colquhoun

Link

I am not telling you this would work well - I am simply stating some empirical evidence, and presenting a 3C with a 7C rim.

Good luck!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU

Last edited by bach_again on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bob Reeves C cup is based on the 3C cup, I think. So the 41C might be a good place to start.

Also, the Curry "600 series" 50C and 60C both use his 3C cup, shrunk down to fit those diameters. I think. It's either the 50C and 60C, or the 60C and 70C. I think it's the 50C and 60C. 50C will feel about like your 7C, in terms of cup diameter. 60C will be a bit bigger than a 7C.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

teepy wrote:
Hey everyone!

For me, the Bach 1.5C, 3C, 6C, and 10.5C rims all have a very similar feel. It might be worth trying the 6C or 10.5C, if you want something with a similar rim to the 3C but with a smaller rim diameter.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
teepy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow!!

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback it is much appreciated!! I'm going to try and do the mouthpiece express with some of these mouthpieces & experiment with the 3c cup with 7c rim.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try a 7D and save yourself the money on custom work. Be advised that the 7 family has a smaller diameter than the 3 family. I know one poster says the contrary basing what he says on a diagram, but even he says that it will feel smaller, so if it quacks like a duck...If you want a smaller diameter you can just try a 5C or a 6C. Or the Yamaha versions. If you can find a brand and size that is ready made, than you should be all set, and will have the various sizes that each manufacturer makes within the same size. Yamaha also keeps their rims the same in each size whereas Bach doesn't.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: mpc Reply with quote

I would second trying the Bach 6c. I believe it's the same size rim as a Bach 7c, but with a more comfortable rim shape (at least in my opinion)

Lee Morgan and Chet Baker (later on in his career) used a 6c. I try, but still sound like neither
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mpc Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I would second trying the Bach 6c. I believe it's the same size rim as a Bach 7c, but with a more comfortable rim shape (at least in my opinion)

Lee Morgan and Chet Baker (later on in his career) used a 6c. I try, but still sound like neither

Yes, that's how I view the Bach 6C. Similar in size to a 7C, but with a 3C rim.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

teepy wrote:
Hey everyone!

Hi teepy

Can I just clarify something. I know that it has asked before, but I'm not sure whether we have yet fully clarified it.

Are you talking about the inner diameter of the Bach 3C. If so, the Bach 7C, 5C and 3C all have very similar inner diameters, but differ in terms of rim and cup shape.

The Bach 7C has a rim that falls away to the outside, making it feel narrower.

Are you saying that you want a smaller inner diameter or a narrower rim/rim that falls away to the outside more?

Or to put it another way, are you looking to put a Bach 7C rim on a Bach 3C cup, or are you looking for basically a Bach 3C that just feels a little smaller in terms of inner diameter?

If the latter, as has already been said, Yamaha have more consistent rims across their different diameters, and a standard rim that is on the lines of a Bach 3C rim but a little more rounded.

A Yamaha 11B4, has a cup shape like the Bach 3C, but a little smaller cup diameter:

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA913443&mpc2id=B002000&backcolor=blue (you will have to re-map the scans on top of each other)

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Obviously this is just one suggestion of a smaller diameter mouthpiece along the lines of the Bach 3C. There are many others.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
TIJO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Bob Reeves 42c a try.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, try the Yamaha Hagstrom, smaller rim, somewhere between a 5c and 7C, and has an about a 2B or 1B cup. I went to this from a Curry 3BC, I get a nice sound and a little bit more endurance and range than the Curry. And, this mouthpiece is inexpensive compared to some of the others you are looking at.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hagstrom is actually a 7C diameter. It feels notably smaller than a 6C. But the Hagstrom is bigger in cup depth, throat size and backbore.

My vote for a smaller 3C would be the Yamaha 13B4. The Bach 3C has the shallowest C cup in the Bach line. If you stick with Bach and go smaller, then the 5C and 6C will have a deeper cup. You could try a 7D, since the 7C has a really deep cup. If the 7 diameter is too small, the 13B4 might be a good fit, since it has the same diameter of the Bach 6C, but the Yamaha B cup might be a bit shallower like a 3C.

Last edited by Irving on Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

A Yamaha 11B4, has a cup shape like the Bach 3C, but a little smaller cup diameter:

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA913443&mpc2id=B002000&backcolor=blue (you will have to re-map the scans on top of each other)

FYI as of a few weeks ago, you can now use the comparator's "Share/Save" buttons to auto-create TrumpetHerald and Reddit links that include the mouthpiece names as well as the exact displayed A/B alignment of your choice.

Examples:
- YAMAHA 11B4 vs. BACH 3C
- BACH 3C vs. STORK VACCHIANO 4C+
- BACH 3C vs. BACH 5C

Cheers!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 3C with Smaller rim? Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

FYI as of a few weeks ago, you can now use the comparator's "Share/Save" buttons to auto-create TrumpetHerald and Reddit links that include the mouthpiece names as well as the exact displayed A/B alignment of your choice.

Examples:
- YAMAHA 11B4 vs. BACH 3C
- BACH 3C vs. STORK VACCHIANO 4C+
- BACH 3C vs. BACH 5C

Cheers!

Thanks very much for letting me know, I'll give this a try sometime.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: