• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modular Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanHoehn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Modular Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I play a 5piece modular Harrelson mouthpiece. I like it because it allows me to play classical and lead with the same rim shape, and only a couple quick changes otherwise.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar thoughts?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play modular pieces (AR Resonance) as well but don’t typically unscrew and re-screw them for different situations. Rather I have one backbore/top combo (that I leave together) for orchestra/all around and another one I use for C/lead/high stuff. That’s easier for me.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I play modular pieces (AR Resonance) as well but don’t typically unscrew and re-screw them for different situations. Rather I have one backbore/top combo (that I leave together) for orchestra/all around and another one I use for C/lead/high stuff. That’s easier for me.

Pretty much the same for me. I’ve found the combinations I prefer, so I have little need to swap them out. Reversing the cup/backbore combinations for my shallow and orchestral trumpet mouthpiece combinations results in mouthpieces that play much worse.

I actively ‘switch out’ my flugel-like deep-V cup between trumpet and cornet backings though, and as I only have 1 cornet backbore (which I use for my flugel as well), I occasionally combine it with the cups I use on my trumpet mouthpieces. That’s about the only thing I ‘hotswap’ during performances, and it happens infrequently.

Being able to swap parts is nice, and it was useful for experimentation, but after a while it just settled into specific combinations.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer modular: Two-piece, in my case. I have a rim size I like, and have several acrylic cups in that rim size, and several backbores. That gives me all the options I need for whatever I am playing on whatever horn I am using: Bb, C, cornet, picc. [I have a couple of one-piece mouthpieces for flugelhorn.]

I did briefly play a Harrelson 5MM mouthpiece, which was his first modular design. Very cool concept, and very well manufactured. I found that I didn't want/need all that customization and didn't like the added mass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: