• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Couesnon Flugel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJTS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
I notice he has a description of it on his website under ‘Other products’.

http://charliesbrassworks.com/products_new.php

What exactly is a standard GR taper flugelhorn mouthpiece? Does that include Bach FL mouthpieces?

A Bach would not be standard also known as Large Morse. That would be small Morse / Bach taper.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJTS wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

What exactly is a standard GR taper flugelhorn mouthpiece? Does that include Bach FL mouthpieces?

A Bach would not be standard also known as Large Morse. That would be small Morse / Bach taper.

This is true, but Bach (small Morse) taper shanks also fit the Melk leadpipe. That's what I use in mine. They go in farther, but don't bottom out. Charlie himself recommended trying small Morse shanks in his leadpipe when I told him I was having some playing issues with large Morse shanks.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mouthpiece maker, but low brass only. It's been a long time since I paid any attenton to flugel shanks. I guess there are at least 3 different sizes?

Looks like I was wrong and I didn't remember what I did back then 30+ years ago. I made a new receiver and soldered it onto the original leadpipe, which IS tapered. Sorry about that. It is long and goes just barely into the valve knuckle if pushed all the way in. OD of the leadpipe is about .427

I don't use this horn but I've loaned it to a couple of trumpet players over the years.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I guess there are at least 3 different sizes?

Yes!

Doug Elliott wrote:
Looks like I was wrong and I didn't remember what I did back then 30+ years ago. I made a new receiver and soldered it onto the original leadpipe, which IS tapered. Sorry about that.

Thanks for sharing this; it was nice of you. I was wondering if maybe I was losing my marbles! 🤪

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:

Yes, as this is presumably a reference to the taper that's standard within GR's product range (as opposed to the large Morse taper which is often known as 'standard' among players and other manufacturers.) GR's default flugel mouthpiece shank is small Morse, aka Bach, taper in terms of actual dimensions. However, they seem to consider it suitable for instruments with either small or large Morse taper leadpipes.

Mike
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do I figure out what model my flugel is?
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it seems there is no Couesnon data or catalogue from that period available so difficult to know anything about the models at that time but basically there is the Monopole (top of the line) and the others. If it is a Monopole it should be engraved on the bell.
If you are interested in Couesnon, you can read this (long!) thread :
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=529797&sid=0cb90c5abbbe7330fbf9ae65ec73a9d6;
regards
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realize Monopole was top of the like. Mine is definitely not a Monopole. So do u think guys like Tom Harrell are using Monopole? Thanks for the info.
TJTS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most widely used models are the 60’s horns with Big C pinky ring and the two piece bell with the big C in the engraving. As pictured here.

This is what most people associate with the Couesnon sound. Back in the day these were easy to get a hold of and cheap. Lots of good threads about this if you search.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJTS wrote:
The most widely used models are the 60’s horns with Big C pinky ring and the two piece bell with the big C in the engraving. As pictured here.

This is what most people associate with the Couesnon sound. Back in the day these were easy to get a hold of and cheap. Lots of good threads about this if you search.

Do they sound that much different than the Monopoles?

I think on YouTube there are at least as many Monopole samples as any of the others… Samples of Steve Dillard playing both. He can make just about any horn sound fantastic.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Couesnon with both the original and GR pipes. I also ordered two WT Flip Oakes 3 Extreme mouthpieces. I tried both and found that Flip's observation that the instrument would be better in tune using the one with the French taper and the original pipe to be correct. However, I still have the GR pipe as it makes trying other mouthpieces easier. Most people seem to have the larger shanked ones. My observation only.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:

I think on YouTube there are at least as many Monopole samples as any of the others… Samples of Steve Dillard playing both. He can make just about any horn sound fantastic.

I don't think so ....

He, along with T. Austin seem to show-off their jazz chops and go for the BIG dbl-C.
The upper-register is NOT where Flugelhorns shine. Better to use a Trumpet.

I am MORE INTERESTED in how the Flugels sound in the middle and lower registers. I want to hear that sonorous, organic, "fluffy", mellow, breathey stuff ... played while holding some loooong notes, and legato passages.

Suggest demo'ing a Flugelhorn by playing a romantic ballad, for example. Or, think "Chet" ... NOT Maynard, or the "flavor of the month" hot-licks jazz cats.

[Disclainer: I have done business with both of the above individuals. Very good, satisfactory experiences. No personal attacks. I simply believe the attributes of Flugehorns can best be served by playing what I have suggested]

Last edited by Man Of Constant Sorrow on Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn’t just play high register on it. He plays ballad style smoky softly etc as well. I think Trent goes out of his way to do the same.

They are selling horns, after all. Why would they not want to demonstrate all facets and capabilities of the horn?
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Chet.
TJTS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Man Of Constant Sorrow"]
Rhondo wrote:
TJTS wrote:

I don't think so ....

He, along with T. Austin seem to show-off their jazz chops and go for the BIG dbl-C.
The upper-register is NOT where Flugelhorns shine. Better to use a Trumpet.

I am MORE INTERESTED in how the Flugels sound in the middle and lower registers. I want to hear that sonorous, organic, "fluffy", mellow, breathey stuff ... played while holding some loooong notes, and legato passages.

Suggest demo'ing a Flugelhorn by playing a romantic ballad, for example. Or, think "Chet" ... NOT Maynard, or the "flavor of the month" hot-licks jazz cats.

[Disclainer: I have done business with both of the above individuals. Very good, satisfactory experiences. No personal attacks. I simply believe the attributes of Flugehorns can best be served by playing what I have suggested]

Can you fix your post? You attributed the wrong post to me.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: I con Reply with quote

I think (?) I just did.

Sorry 'bout that. Please forgive me.
I've not been on the site very long, and I admit I am not yet adept at navigating some of the editing mechanisms.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
He (Dillard) doesn’t just play high register on it. He plays ballad style smoky softly etc as well. I think Trent goes out of his way to do the same.

Did I state Dillard just plays in the upper/high register?
NO.
Please read for comprehension and accuracy.

I do hope Dillard and Austin somehow get my comments passed-on to them. They might like a challenge. I suspect they are more than capable. They may even sell MORE Flugelhorns.

I personally can gather more about tonal subtleties by listening to Roy Hargrove and Sergei Nakariakov play the Flugelhorn.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Rhondo wrote:
He (Dillard) doesn’t just play high register on it. He plays ballad style smoky softly etc as well. I think Trent goes out of his way to do the same.

Did I state Dillard just plays in the upper/high register?
NO.
Please read for comprehension and accuracy.

You implied it. 😂

Edit: Also, didn’t change the meaning here, but if you’re quoting someone please don’t add your own words inside the quote.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Please" do not tell me how to edit.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else perceive the insidious and dreaded Dunning-Kruger Effect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: