• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is your primary Bb and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: What is your primary Bb and why? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm sure that this has been asked a hundred times at least on here, but rather than resurrecting an old thread with people's previous horns, I thought that I'd start a new one, purely for interests sake.

Mine is a Yamaha 8335 Xeno II in lacquer. Why? It has worked very well for me in all playing situations for the last eight years, has a great sound, a very nice level of blow resistance, very good intonation, a fantastically even response throughout the registers, and the type of slotting that allows me to hear the note and put it where I hear that it needs to go, without feeling that the trumpet is locking me into the slots.

What is your primary Bb and why?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thane Performance, red brass 72 large bell in raw brass and traditional water keys. It sounds great and plays great whether I’m in the concert band or playing lead in the jazz ensemble.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: What is your primary Bb Reply with quote

Hello all,
Primary...You mean one and only???
Signature line...
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about 25 years it was the Bach in the signature. I know some people dislike Bach for their supposedly poor quality control yada yada but the horn has served me well and I have even recorded with it and played some rather large venues (large on my scale that is). I never quite found a horn that I felt was substantially better for me …

… until in 2019 I bought my Schmidt rotary for orchestral stuff. It’s easy the best horn I ever played and it does everything so much better than anything else in my orchestral/ensemble playing.

The piston horn that finally threw my Bach on the shelf is my Conn 6B. I can play higher, faster, more dynamic than with the Bach, I can color the sound better, and intonation is indeed better. So that is my main combo/jazz/commercial horn now.

So I guess I have two primary Bb players (this is not to say the others are bad, just different. I still play the Bach for power-play situations).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi "All Around"

It just works. I've owned many Bachs, Yamahas, Benges, Olds, Schilkes, Eclipse, and nothing (so far) does everything as well as the AG. I'm 75% a commercial player, but still do a fair amount of classical playing. I can play in a rock or salsa band one night and play in a brass quintet the next morning and it "fits". I use a few different mouthpieces depending on the situation, but the intonation and response are always excellent.

I find it easier to play one horn with a few different mouthpieces than two complete horn setups. Maybe I'll change tomorrow, who knows!
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the mid 1980s, it’s been my 1976 Bach ML43. It’s a great all-around trumpet, really even-playing with wonderful intonation, and that nice “Bach sound”. The only fault I can mention is that the upper register isn’t as open as I’d like, but when I need to do a lot of stuff above the staff, I pull out my trusty Conn 6B Victor…
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Olds Recording trumpet. Mostly the reason I play it is because it's just an awesome trumpet (great sound, very flexible, good intonation and easy to play) however...

...it's also the trumpet that got me through some rough times. It used to be played by my old teacher, whom I consider a friend and who's a great person. It's also the instrument that makes me smile just by looking at it. It's the trumpet I want to play for the rest of my life.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lou! I hope it's not too late to wish you a Happy New Year! There, I did it anyway.

I have had my copper new-spec Wild Thing for a little over 10 years now. I haven't played a lot in those years, up until about two years ago when I joined a local college based Community Concert Band. It was fun and I played in that group for about 3 semesters, I think. This past year, I haven't been playing at all, really, because of some momentous things happening in my family and changes that are leading me into a season of writing.

However, I still prefer my Wild Thing. There have been other interesting trumpets along the way, such as the Edwards X-13 which has been prevalent on these threads recently, and others like the Bach 1 Commercial that I found really exciting to play. The Shires CVLA-L was probably the best all around modern trumpet I've sampled. But then I sit down with my WT and the sound is just soooooo good.

Yes, it's very much louder that the typical trumpet in a concert band section, no matter how much I try to be good. Yes, it can be hard to play accurately at those low volumes, but is the sound and overall delight worth putting up with all of that? Wouldn't I rather grab something like the other players use? Yes to the first and no to the second.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main Bb is a Bach 43 Sterling Bell, ML that I purchased in 1990 and immediately had it gold plated because the sweat from my hands eats through Bach Lacquer and silver plate. I’ve played on a Bach since 1968 and am comfortable with their characteristics.I have a number of nice Bb horns, but eventually, my Bach is the one that goes to a gig.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm alternating between a:

-1999 Bach 180-37ML. The leadpipe has been replaced with a Melk MTV-525 leadpipe/receiver. Has a wonderful rich, Bach sound and I've played it since junior year of high school. It's a HEAVY horn. It's ugly, lots of dents & dings, silver is missing in the wear points, and my youngest added some plier marks it trying to "fix" it when he was two, but it's never going anywhere.

-1964 Olds Recording. It's a fun horn with a nice vintage sound. I love the feel of the valves and the balanced design. I just can't get the fourth partial notes in tune. That's pretty discouraging. I'm going to keep working with it a bit longer though.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thane Performance with a 5" gold brass bell.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool to see Thane is the second most-popular so far right behind Bach! Thats not likely to last long, my Thane has a serial number less than 200 so there are not that many out there.

I have a Thane Standard large bell (72) in red brass. It's incredibly even in tone, incredibly easy to play, and incredibly in-tune. And it's a handmade horn that is cheaper than a Bach. I hope Logan can stay in business given how little he is charging for all the work he is putting in on these amazing horns.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used recent model Bach Strad 37. Middle of the road, great sound and projection, versatile, and I know it’s fully capable enough that if I’m not sounding good or playing well, it’s me, not the horn.

Plus, the only other horn I have is an Ambassador, which truth be told, would be entirely adequate and playable for me too if I didn’t have the Bach.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scottfsmith, my Thane is less than 100. I’m on my 4th semester with and loving it. Thinking about getting his C to replace my Bach.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dozens of horns, but when it positively has to be delivered to the back row, my ugly as homemade soap 1957 Bach Strad ML 43. Because....... Since 1973 the Mt Vernon ML 43 has been.....my voice.

If I have something with more finesse and flexibility, my 1970 Bach ML 37 cornet.... Because that is like the one I soloed on as a teenager in the 60's. Only I got that one all silvered up and pretty.

But because I have the Eb Soprano chair in our Brass Band, I put a lot more miles on my Schilke Eb cornet. It isn't much fun after 7 years, but no one else will do it.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main Bb is a Bach large bore 72G with a lightweight body and 25R leadpipe. It fits me.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, I’m intrigued by your post on the ML Bach 43/Conn 6B comparison. Being able to play higher (and control what I do) is EXACTLY the prime reason why I mostly play the Conn now. The Bach is harder to play up there (wherever up there is) but it does sound great and I still like it very much for situations when I need a really dense and projecting sound.

Nice to see that someone else has the “exact” same two horns and makes the same observations about them.
1977 Conn 6B
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi S3 BB. With a few different mouthpieces, it just works for whatever situation I find myself in and makes it easier.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is everybody going to run and look for a Conn 6B?

Awhile back on one of his videos Charlie Porter recommended the LA version Ambassador as a horn to look for if you didn’t have the cash for a pro horn. I think he said “around a hundred bucks”.
$100 will generally get you an LA Ambassador that needs a lot of work.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rhondo, in fact there is a few 6Bs for sale „around me“, loosely defined. Want me to get one for you ?
1977 Conn 6B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: